• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Future Steelers games in Ireland

There are a lot of logistics involved should they take into this adventure. Too many to list, including the ones you broached on.

You’re 200 lb. Criteria makes sense but believe me, it’s not an entire requisite for players success.

Also, you realize that these foreign teams will be a full participant in the NFL draft process. That will water down an already lacking talent pool.

The NFL is entering the Over Saturation period in that they are playing to many prime time games. Now add in a foreign schedule and teams………….. how much NFL can the market stand……… YET keep the quality of the game.?

Salute the nation

If the European born players given an environment to grow into football players, it will enhance the draft NFL, just like it has with the international players have in the NBA. That was may point.

If the European born players given an environment to grow into football players, it will enhance the draft NFL, just like it has with the international players have in the NBA. That was may point.

My point is it will take years in order for the European league to even develope a system to actually get quality players. I highly doubt they will ever get to the point of the quality pool of football players the USA currently have.

You’re asking a country to go full in on a sport that isn’t even secondary in their country.

The NBA is a totally different animal and hard to compare with the NFL. Both respected sides are a totally different player make up.

The ONLY thing that will up the training / talent oriented / player pool will be the LARGE amount of money that is generated. Will there be a significant market that generates enough money to compete with what is made by the USA players.

I highly doubt that the foreign market will have the level of talent pool needed to compete with the USA, without robbing USA generated players. You may get a few (low numbers) from the foreign market, but not like here.

Salute the nation

Yes. NFL have should expand into Europe. I think there is enough of a fan base for NFL teams is Ireland, England, Germany, and Mexico to support a team within five years. The game is so much better than soccer if fans would objectively give it a try. In theory Europe has enough big men to play high level football from home grown players. They key would be getting the players into football at the high school level. There are 1,000 + jobs in the NFL that go veteran minimum or so, enticing the BIG men over 200 lbs there to give football a try. There aren't many soccer players over 210 lbs!

The NFL would have to shift games on Sunday to start at 12:00 EST and 3:00 PST for the European viewers and move Thursday night football to Friday night to make time times of the games work out. But it can work out in theory.
Homegrown players and 1,000+ jobs has nothing to do with expansion and the NFL certainly wouldn’t shift start times to appease it’s comparatively small European market.

When the premiere league expands into the U.S., then the NFL can think about putting a European division in play. It just doesn't make sense. Again, use the extra games as neutral site international games, which would give basically every country involved nearly a full seasons worth of games each year. Add a second bye week to make it happen.

It would be awesome to go to a game in Ireland. I have 2 gay friends that live there. Patrick fitzhenry and Henry Fitzpatrick

Yes. NFL have should expand into Europe. I think there is enough of a fan base for NFL teams is Ireland, England, Germany, and Mexico to support a team within five years. The game is so much better than soccer if fans would objectively give it a try. In theory Europe has enough big men to play high level football from home grown players. They key would be getting the players into football at the high school level. There are 1,000 + jobs in the NFL that go veteran minimum or so, enticing the BIG men over 200 lbs there to give football a try. There aren't many soccer players over 210 lbs!

The NFL would have to shift games on Sunday to start at 12:00 EST and 3:00 PST for the European viewers and move Thursday night football to Friday night to make time times of the games work out. But it can work out in theory.
wrong again

idiotic idea

They are talking about expanding to 40 teams within the next decade (according to Florio, so take it with a grain of salt)
Im trying to envision where they expect to expand to… 4 european teams for certain… maybe 5 if they go to 5 team divisions..

The gimmes are Madrid, London and Berlin… maybe Barcelona and probably an Irish team… though they would love a paris team… i just don’t think the interest is there

Other places in the mix:
Toronto for sure… though buffalo will hate that
montreal, maybe Vancouver

Probably Mexico City until a player gets ransomed or something…

Maybe one of the two big metros in Peurto Rico.

They are talking about expanding to 40 teams within the next decade (according to Florio, so take it with a grain of salt)
Im trying to envision where they expect to expand to… 4 european teams for certain… maybe 5 if they go to 5 team divisions..

The gimmes are Madrid, London and Berlin… maybe Barcelona and probably an Irish team… though they would love a paris team… i just don’t think the interest is there

Other places in the mix:

whorio is a ******* idiot

he just throws **** out for page clicks

teams would not survive long term in europe

whorio is a ******* idiot

he just throws **** out for page clicks

teams would not survive long term in europe

The NFL has a built in “FARM” system that they pay absolutely nothing for, like it or not.

The foreign teams have nothing in place and more than likely never will, least ways nothing like here in the good O’l USA.

The cost of the support of the foreign team(s) will be astronomical and ALL owners will be paying for that (owners don’t want to pay out money).

I understand the NFL’s need and greed for the expansion, but also see many ways to pour money into a break even deal.

The overall QUALITY of games / fandom / and such will decline. But not to worry as that aspect has been happening already.

OUR beloved game of football has morphed into something becoming unrecognizable and will continue doing so to the extent of becoming a gamblers entertainment leaving dinosaur fans such as us, behind.

Salute the nation

PS

College games, will become more watched and FAN-dom-ed as the NFL becomes more and more gambler viewed.

Salute the nation

Other places in the mix:

I could see the NFL adding 4 teams over the next few years:
Berlin and London to AFC/NFC East and Mexico City and Toronto AFC South and NFC North respectively.

The Bills would be happy with $$$ for territorial infringement, and the team in TO could be located north of the city, so Buffalo's border crowd is as far from the new team as Cleveland.

With any further expansion to say 40 teams, I would expect the Cowgirls and the Phins to get new divisions, regardless of rivalries