• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...........................@ Chiefs

Ben gets a season-long game ball. Many on here bashed him and still do but if he wasn't our starting QB, we would have maybe won half the games we did, if that. Rudolph wasn't going to bring us back from the disastrous starts Canada calls every game.
Ben had some great moments this season and some really bad ones. However, the one thing you could count on is he still had that clutch factor in the fourth quarter and led some fantastic come from behind wins. That's something not every QB in the league can do.

And the -1 in that equation was vs the cheats when Hines pointed out they were calling out the Steeler's offensive plays at the line.

Any OC that designs a play that's a fake handoff, pump fake, draw and thinks it's a good idea to run it in a playoff game needs a kick in the nuts and be sent packing. Any HC that condones it needs the same.
That play looked like they drew it up in the dirt and then tried it for the first time ever.

Ben had some great moments this season and some really bad ones. However, the one thing you could count on is he still had that clutch factor in the fourth quarter and led some fantastic come from behind wins. That's something not every QB in the league can do.
He threw some bad balls this year but he was almost never the reason we were down by so many points heading into the 2nd halves of games. He wasn't calling the same plays in the 1st half for 18 weeks in a row. That was all Canada. Ben brought us back to win most of our games. Rudolph would not have. I keep bringing up the comebacks. Just look at the throws he was making on our final 3 drives or so. Canada wasn't calling those plays. Those plays weren't at the line or behind the line. Ben was throwing downfield, his receivers were getting open, the balls were on target and catches were being made. The only difference is Canada, period. He needs to be fired.

Reactions: GMC
He threw some bad balls this year but he was almost never the reason we were down by so many points heading into the 2nd halves of games. He wasn't calling the same plays in the 1st half for 18 weeks in a row. That was all Canada. Ben brought us back to win most of our games. Rudolph would not have. I keep bringing up the comebacks. Just look at the throws he was making on our final 3 drives or so. Canada wasn't calling those plays. Those plays weren't at the line or behind the line. Ben was throwing downfield, his receivers were getting open, the balls were on target and catches were being made. The only difference is Canada, period. He needs to be fired.
I dunno I have no problem front lining Canada. But won't pretend Ben didn't lose some mobility and accuracy. That and being handcuffed by bad roster decision making. Really was a trifecta of issues that Canada takes on a lot of the blame mixed in with Tombert's fails. Ben was the lesser of the three evils but to be fair it still has to be mentioned...

BEST ever defense to play the game, nobody can argue that at all.

Yep. I was 15 years old during that season. Started off 1-4, including a loss because of a blown call on a Swann TD against the Patsies. Bradshaw hurt, Mike freaking Kruczek takes over and the Steelers just keep handing the ball to Harris and Bleier and let the defense maul. Five - repeat, FIVE - shutouts, including three in a row. Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Mel Blount, LC Greenwood, Ernie Holmes.

So fun to watch. I remember that team, those players and compare all other defenses to them.

EVERYBODY can argue how well Coach Tomlin's system seems to be working.

I just wish they kept score or something so we could tell how well he is doing, right?

Yep. I was 15 years old during that season. Started off 1-4, including a loss because of a blown call on a Swann TD against the Patsies. Bradshaw hurt, Mike freaking Kruczek takes over and the Steelers just keep handing the ball to Harris and Bleier and let the defense maul. Five - repeat, FIVE - shutouts, including three in a row. Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Mel Blount, LC Greenwood, Ernie Holmes.

So fun to watch. I remember that team, those players and compare all other defenses to them.

I just wish they kept score or something so we could tell how well he is doing, right?
Closest dominant defense I saw was UGA this past season. It would be nice to see defenses take over the nfl again

I dunno I have no problem front lining Canada. But won't pretend Ben didn't lose some mobility and accuracy. That and being handcuffed by bad roster decision making. Really was a trifecta of issues that Canada takes on a lot of the blame mixed in with Tombert's fails. Ben was the lesser of the three evils but to be fair it still has to be mentioned...
Agree and I've been mentioning it all year. But, Canada made no changes or adjustments in 18 damn weeks. That says a whole hell of a lot about a coach. Why didn't we have a game plan yesterday (or any week for that matter) to exploit KC's weaknesses on D? We should have at least tried. And, again, there were no sweeps to Claypool that we finally saw last week after being non-existent for 6 weeks. The first play of the game should have been Ben dropping back one or two steps and lobbing a ball down the sideline to Claypool who would have been one on one. They should have done that multiple times in the 1st half. The best we got was them eventually (end of the first half or in the 2nd half) finally trying something like that but in the middle of the field where the safety could easily come over and help on the play. You do it on the sideline where it is one on one and you take your chances even with Claypool (or even Muuth but not DJ and definitely not RayRay). That's just one example. ****, we were down 28-7 and I believe also 35-7 and Canada was still calling a run up the middle on 1st downs to start a series. After that is when Ben took over.

It absolutely infuriates me that Canada and Tomlin didn't let Ben truly have a chance to go out with what had brought us back this year, won us games this year, and won us countless games over the previous 17 years by letting Ben start the game in the no-huddle/hurry-up and use that significantly (not exclusively) throughout the game. Even the announcers were saying why didn't they let Ben do this early in the 1st half. They haven't let him do it all damn year and it's the only thing that has worked with this offense.

Agree and I've been mentioning it all year. But, Canada made no changes or adjustments in 18 damn weeks. That says a whole hell of a lot about a coach. Why didn't we have a game plan yesterday (or any week for that matter) to exploit KC's weaknesses on D? We should have at least tried. And, again, there were no sweeps to Claypool that we finally saw last week after being non-existent for 6 weeks. The first play of the game should have been Ben dropping back one or two steps and lobbing a ball down the sideline to Claypool who would have been one on one. They should have done that multiple times in the 1st half. The best we got was them eventually (end of the first half or in the 2nd half) finally trying something like that but in the middle of the field where the safety could easily come over and help on the play. You do it on the sideline where it is one on one and you take your chances even with Claypool (or even Muuth but not DJ and definitely not RayRay). That's just one example. ****, we were down 28-7 and I believe also 35-7 and Canada was still calling a run up the middle on 1st downs to start a series. After that is when Ben took over.

It absolutely infuriates me that Canada and Tomlin didn't let Ben truly have a chance to go out with what had brought us back this year, won us games this year, and won us countless games over the previous 17 years by letting Ben start the game in the no-huddle/hurry-up and use that significantly (not exclusively) throughout the game. Even the announcers were saying why didn't they let Ben do this early in the 1st half. They haven't let him do it all damn year and it's the only thing that has worked with this offense.
I hear Tomlin blocked a move cause Canada wanted Green benched. It was in one of these threads. If true, I do wonder just how much control the coordinators actually have. Coordinators change but the offensive consistency or lack thereof has always been present under Tomlin.

If that’s the case. It’s time to move on

the play idea is one thing. The real crime is the execution. The Chiefs run some crazy plays and you can see that they must have practiced them a bunch because the execution is perfect. Canada's special plays look like he drew them on the back of a napkin on the way to the game and just described the play to the players during pregame
It wasn't only crazy plays by the Chiefs. It was fundamental core calls as well, like that perfectly executed screen pass. They let it develop nicely, and had 3 lineman out in front of the back, picking off defenders as the ball went downfield with ease.

The Steelers' passes to Najee are almost always thrown immediately, with no blocking scheme in place at all. He catches the ball, and there are 2-3 tacklers (if not more) there ready to clean his clock. It's like a play you would see called in youth football, where your RB is 100 times better than any kid on the opposing defense. He breaks a tackle, jukes a couple more guys, and he's gone. That **** cannot work in the NFL. It just can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTC
**** DJ. Such a soft piece of **** receiver.
I had high hopes for DJ this year. He worked hard to correct the drops, started out great, then it seemed to really fall apart the last few games. Not sure what happened there.

Also was encouraged when they traded for Schobert. Very disappointed with his body of work this year. Bush is garbage, and Spillane seemed to regress against the run as the season went on. The Steelers are going to need some serious retooling at inside linebacker, among their many other issues.

It wasn't only crazy plays by the Chiefs. It was fundamental core calls as well, like that perfectly executed screen pass. They let it develop nicely, and had 3 lineman out in front of the back, picking off defenders as the ball went downfield with ease.

The Steelers' passes to Najee are almost always thrown immediately, with no blocking scheme in place at all. He catches the ball, and there are 2-3 tacklers (if not more) there ready to clean his clock. It's like a play you would see called in youth football, where your RB is 100 times better than any kid on the opposing defense. He breaks a tackle, jukes a couple more guys, and he's gone. That **** cannot work in the NFL. It just can't.
Lol. Yep

The Oline has enough trouble figuring out who to block when the defense is lined up directly across from them, it's not wonder they can't execute a screen pass.

Reactions: wig
I hear Tomlin blocked a move cause Canada wanted Green benched. It was in one of these threads. If true, I do wonder just how much control the coordinators actually have. Coordinators change but the offensive consistency or lack thereof has always been present under Tomlin.

If that’s the case. It’s time to move on
This is why it will be very telling if either coordinator leave (fired or retired) and they hire from within. At this point, a hire from within is just Tomlin putting another puppet in place to be his scapegoat since he will continue to call the shots. Rooney, who has no balls, needs to tell Tomlin to bring someone in from outside the organization and let him do his thing. But, we all know that won't happen and we all know Tomlin won't get rid of anyone.

I am sure this was discussed or bitched about in the game thread but why no penalty on the KC O lineman that caught the TD pass? He engaged with Watt and had two full hands of jersey. He then threw Watt to the ground in order to get open. That is holding and could also have been called offensive PI. Did anyone see or hear any explanation on that play? All the homer announcers kept doing was showing the play and saying what a great play it was yet neither of them questioned the legality of him throwing Watt to the ground. Watt was certainly shocked and looking for a flag.

I think at that point the refs were saying "We're not calling **** on these guys, Steelers. Suck it up and try to let the clock roll as much as you can."