• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.............@ Packers

AND the thing is where he caught it and just turned up field and drove his legs he would have gotten the first down. I like DJ and he is becoming a very good receiver but he needs to have better mental out there.

Salute the nation
If he hadn't gotten the 1st down, it would have been 4th and inches, rather than 4th and 4.

It was a mistake. Folks make em. I assume he'll eventually sort that kinda thing out. What I hate is seeing him regularly take the OOB when he quite often could make a hard outside foot plant and at the very least get another 5 yards and with luck, he may juke the defender and get another big chunk. I never does that and I find myself disappointed.

On the other hand, he is a little guy. Can't blame him for thinking about his body too.

Tuitt has issues mentally dealing with his brother. To just dismiss that is ridiculous. However, he did get fat and out of shape. Whether that was due to his brother or his knee, who knows. He did have knee surgery a week or so before he was put on IR. I've said all along if we see him back at all this year, it will be past halfway through the season and I stick to that.

Dealing with a lost loved one is difficult no matter the circumstances, blessings his way.

As for the knee, does anyone know when it was actually injured ? What the extent of the surgery was and recovery time. If he truly was out of shape / "fat" I wonder to what degree as He definitely can work his way back into shape and play yet this season. Like TDX27 I think it will the 2nd half of the season.

Salute the nation

If he hadn't gotten the 1st down, it would have been 4th and inches, rather than 4th and 4.

It was a mistake. Folks make em. I assume he'll eventually sort that kinda thing out. What I hate is seeing him regularly take the OOB when he quite often could make a hard outside foot plant and at the very least get another 5 yards and with luck, he may juke the defender and get another big chunk. I never does that and I find myself disappointed.

On the other hand, he is a little guy. Can't blame him for thinking about his body too.
Meh. People always complained about Franco running out of bounds. I think we've gotten over that.

Tuitt has issues mentally dealing with his brother. To just dismiss that is ridiculous. However, he did get fat and out of shape. Whether that was due to his brother or his knee, who knows. He did have knee surgery a week or so before he was put on IR. I've said all along if we see him back at all this year, it will be past halfway through the season and I stick to that.

based on what? Everyone deals with grief. OH tuit is just more in tune and distraught... again,, based on what? Hes out of shape because his knee was probably hurting and he didnt want to have surgey,, but then HE DID! Now presumably he is in recovery time... Thats it.

Actually, you can watch the play once and see him run backwards at least 2 times on the same play.
All he needs is Benny HIll music.
I'm not denying that Johnson ran backwards (once, not twice), but my point is that he was doing so while trying to make a play and get a first down because the ball was thrown short of the line to gain, as per usual. If Ben holds the ball for a half second longer, and allows DJ to run the route further down field, it's an easy first down.

Ben should get slapped on his head a few times like Benny Hill used to do to that old bald guy.

AND the thing is where he caught it and just turned up field and drove his legs he would have gotten the first down.
That just isn't a factual statement.

DJ had to BREAK A TACKLE first, before he could just turn upfield, then he BREAKS A SECOND TACKLE, and by then there were still two more Packers waiting for him a yard short of the first down.

After breaking the first two tackles when he was two yards short, you mean?

That just isn't a factual statement.

DJ had to BREAK A TACKLE first, before he could just turn upfield, then he BREAKS A SECOND TACKLE, and by then there were still two more Packers waiting for him a yard short of the first down.

I don't care how many guys were waiting for him. Had he drove his legs North and South he would have been a hell of a lot closer if not a 1st down. I'm not going to go back and exact the mechanics but he was a lot closer to a first down than you think and a leg drive quite possibly would have gotten that. Instead of being 4 yards it would have been less than 1 yard. He continually gave up gained footage in breaking the tackles you garner. The point being made is that sometimes you go down if the situation calls for it and this situation called for it.

In my opinion Deonte tried to make something more of something that wasn't there and it cost him and the team in a critical situation. In TJ WATT's post game interview he talked about trying to do to much and make something happen. He said he should have trusted his fellow players more. TJ was talking about himself but I see this could apply to DJ as well in this case. It was clear he wasn't getting away yet he gave up yards in trying.

The WR is definately dynomite with the ball in his hands but even then one must sense or know the football situation and adhere to the betterment.

Salute the nation

based on what? Everyone deals with grief. OH tuit is just more in tune and distraught... again,, based on what? Hes out of shape because his knee was probably hurting and he didnt want to have surgey,, but then HE DID! Now presumably he is in recovery time... Thats it.
Based on what? You answered your own question. Everyone goes through grief differently when dealing with the death of someone close. I've said it many times, even before his injury was disclosed to the public, that we have no idea how long it will take him to get his head back. We still don't know how he's doing in that regard. What we do know is he gained a lot of weight and was out of shape. He injured his knee somehow (we still have no idea what that was/is) and he had surgery less than 6 weeks ago. If his head is back on straight and his surgery was a success, hopefully, he is rehabbing. We don't know how long that will take because we have no clue what the injury was. And, we don't know how long it will take him to get into any kind of playing shape after his rehab. Even if we say 4 to 6 weeks for rehab and another 2 to get in shape so he can start playing (still needing a couple weeks to get back up to speed on the field), he isn't ready for 6 to 8 weeks. That puts us 6 or 7 weeks into the season, best case. I still stick to what I said that if he comes back, it won't be until after the midpoint of the season. Sure, I could be wrong but why hurry him. If he's out of shape, he'll end up with a worse soft tissue injury than Watt did and Watt was in terrific shape, albeit not playing shape.

Meh. People always complained about Franco running out of bounds. I think we've gotten over that.
Ya... I think Franco did enough over the course of his career to allow for some leeway on his runs out of bounds.
While I'm really happy with the recent improvement in Diontae's hands, the #1 thing I think of when I hear his name is "drops". Less Leeway given...

all we know is he had knee surgery.
I think we also know his brother died and he was having a hard time dealing with it - at least that is what his teammates said. As far as the surgery, if it was just cartilage or something minor, he is only looking at a month or so to come back. If it had to do with ligaments, then they are toying with the fans and the league and should have put him on IR for the season. The longer it takes for him to be seen back getting in shape, the worse it appears. He can't practice or the clock for him to come back starts ticking but he should be at the facility doing serious rehab and conditioning by now if he's coming back any time soon.

I don't care how many guys were waiting for him. Had he drove his legs North and South he would have been a hell of a lot closer if not a 1st down. I'm not going to go back and exact the mechanics but he was a lot closer to a first down than you think and a leg drive quite possibly would have gotten that. Instead of being 4 yards it would have been less than 1 yard. He continually gave up gained footage in breaking the tackles you garner. The point being made is that sometimes you go down if the situation calls for it and this situation called for it.

In my opinion Deonte tried to make something more of something that wasn't there and it cost him and the team in a critical situation. In TJ WATT's post game interview he talked about trying to do to much and make something happen. He said he should have trusted his fellow players more. TJ was talking about himself but I see this could apply to DJ as well in this case. It was clear he wasn't getting away yet he gave up yards in trying.

The WR is definately dynomite with the ball in his hands but even then one must sense or know the football situation and adhere to the betterment.
Where DJ caught the ball was two yards short of the first down. He had to break two tackles just to have the opportunity to "cost the team." I guess you would have preferred him to fall down and not try to make a play, then it would have been 4th-and-2 instead of 4th-and-4.

Yeah, after he made two guys miss, maybe he still should have had the field awareness to just dive forward for the first down at that point. In a perfect world.

After all, most importantly, that play helps to keep the DJ MAKES TOO MANY MENTAL ERRORS fallacy alive. Right?

He's their biggest playmaker and it really isn't close. Johnson seems to be everything people want Washington to be.
He has been this year, but the true big plays come from Claypool who has disappointed somewhat. Johnson's short game works best with version of Ben because he can get open short. He hasn't dropped any and seems to best suit the offense short passes.