• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.........@ Raiders......Week 3

Safe? SAFE?? Maybe somebody could get Cana-DUH access to Youtube videos of a few of Kenny's sideline throws, including Peters' dropped pick-6 last night.
That was obviously a miscommunication between him and heyward. That can happen on any play anywhere… not that i am defending sideline exclusive offense lol… coaches think that they are harder to pick because tipped or high passes usually go out of bounds …

Oh, and another thing. Did the Raiders' CB get faster after the Austin III TD? Because the Steelers never tried the deep ball agains the rest of the game.
They can only run one of those a game or else a sinkhole to hell opens up and swallows the field or something… though they can run the exact same run play that hasn’t worked all game like 5 times… that is safe

That was obviously a miscommunication between him and heyward. That can happen on any play anywhere… not that i am defending sideline exclusive offense lol… coaches think that they are harder to pick because tipped or high passes usually go out of bounds …

Yeah, Heyward looked like he was running an out-and-up, which makes sense against Peters since he likes to jump routes, but that type of "miscommunication" cannot happen. It just can't. You can lose a game with that type of stuff.

Kenny has arguably the best game of his career

Canada calls one of the best games of his career

And if Peters makes an absolute easy catch on a route he was sitting on it’s just another L on the way to 9-8…thank you Limas Peters, we needed the help

KP8 operating at his best in Canada’s system firing on every cylinder it has and the margin of victory relies on opposing player not grabbing the ez6…yep this seems absolutely sustainable to attain the standard of mediocrity that has been set.

8 or 9 seed here we come!!!

I’m gonna savor slipping by the crap team that is the Raiders tho, it’s been a minute since they achieved that task

After watching replay this morning I have to say Kenny looks lost. His facial expression on the field and on sidelines, something is missing. Like the team is swimming from the dock and Kenny is afraid to jump in. Yea I know he had some moments last night positive, but he also had some chin scratchers. You see players open and he ignores them and waits, throws those out patterns where he has not shown he can complete. Almost like he stands waits till someone is open before letting the ball go. Love the win , but watching other games teams are way ahead of us after three weeks.

Oh, and another thing. Did the Raiders' CB get faster after the Austin III TD? Because the Steelers never tried the deep ball agains the rest of the game.

NOT a chance as they would have expected that. O’Canada has a unique way of thinking……

Salute the nation

I watched this replay on Twitter and now understand why the refs called Minkah for roughing. Obvious shot to the QB's head.

Wait ...

They did that on either back-to-back plays or two out of three plays in that series. Obvious calls right in front of the officials. Pitiful!

Well we saw a much more balanced attack on offense this game than we have the first two games. I'll elaborate a little more on that later.....I'm still not impressed with Matt Canada's play calling but at least tonight we didn't see a Jet Sweep for a 8 yard loss in a critical moment of the game. The most disturbing thing about Matt Canada's offense is the lack of using the middle of the football field in the passing game. The Steelers and Kenny Pickett threw 8 passes between the numbers and 7 of them were complete for some good yardage including a 72 yd TD to Calvin Austin in the first quarter to tie the game at 7. Looking at the passes outside the numbers Pickett was 9 for 20 throwing outside the numbers and with the exception of the TD pass to Freiermuth there was one completion for over 10 yards that was thrown outside the numbers. Defensively the Steelers Defense did enough to preserve the win down the stretch and they won the turnover battle 3-0 tonight with Jimmy G just tossing 2 of those passes blindly up for grabs and both were Intercepted. Davonte Adams carved up our secondary pretty good tonight for 13 rec 172 yds & 2 TD's on 20 targets. Chris Boswell kicked 3 FG's tonight including a clutch 57 yd FG and Pressley Harvin did a great job punting the football. Josh McDaniel is a terrible Head Coach.....he proved that tonight opting to kick a FG from the Steelers 8 yd line instead of going for it on 4th & 4 from the Steelers 8 yd line......awful coaching decision. The Steelers ran some play action if you want to call it that with Kenny under center but if that's what they call play action passing it was poorly executed play action. TJ Watt continues to put up the sack numbers this season with 2 more sacks tonight giving him 6 sacks in 3 games this season.....I'd love to see him get 30+ sacks this season! There's been alot of criticism of the Steelers predictible play calling this season 90% when Pickett was under Center they RAN and 82% in Shotgun they passed the football. Tonight you saw the Raiders when Pickett was under Center they loaded up with 9 or 10 guys in the box and on a few play action passes the Steelers were able to complete a few passes which is what we need to see more of going forward. It wasn't perfect tonight and at the end of the game it started to get a little ugly with a couple 3 & outs but they were able to find a way to win on the road in Vegas which has traditionally been a nightmare for Steeler teams. Tomlin needs to get his rookies more reps in the game....Keanu Benton, Joey Jr, Broderick Jones....all these guys should be getting more reps in game. I've attached a passing chart and play call chart of Pickett Under Center vs Shotgun run & pass plays. Also there's a chart showing Pickett's passing.....Looking ahead to next week I hope the Steelers continue to throw more between the numbers.....they did it a little tonight but clearly it's not enough.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Levi Wallace - Bumps and Bruises but was able to return
Najee Harris - Bumps and Bruises but was able to return

Game Balls:
Kenny Pickett - 16 for 28 235 yds 2 TD's. First multiple TD game of his career.....he wasn't perfect but tonight was a step in the right direction...way to shake off the critics!
Calvin Austin - 2 rec 72 yds 1 TD.....First NFL TD....nice 72 yd catch & run
George Pickens - 4 rec 75 yds.....this kid has all the tools to be the #1 WR
Chris Boswell - 3 FG's, 11 points....a clutch 57 yd FG kick in the 3rd Quarter......The Wizard of Boz
Pressley Harvin - 6 punts 53.8 yd average, long of 63.....only one bad punt tonight and it was his 5th punt...41 yds I think.
TJ Watt - 2 more sacks tonight...giving him 6 on the season. I wanna see TJ get 30 sacks this season! GO TJ GO!
Minkah Fitzpatrick - 11 tackles tonight and 1 BS Penalty
Levi Wallace - 6 tackles 2 INT's

Game Goats:
DeMarvin Leal - Cmon son that Penalty on that FG kick gave your opponent a fresh set of downs and a 2nd chance......terrible!
Dan Moore & Chuck Okorafor - They might be the 2 worst tackles in football both struggle in Run Blocking & Pass Protection.....How is it that we haven't given Broderick Jones some reps....he can't be any worse!

FU's:
FU to the Refs - Should have flagged Max Crosby for a helmet to helmet hit on Pickett and WTF was that Roughing the QB Penalty on Minkah when the game was on the line....TERRIBLE. The Zebras almost cost us the game tonight late in the 4th Quarter.
https://www.facebook.com/messenger_media?attachment_id=3420552521434594&message_id=mid.$cAABa8yyXz1CQ-6iq_GKymNd1mOy6&thread_id=100000471699280
Here's my notes and passing chart for Pickett.....as you can see a better mix of plays from Under Center and in Shotgun but they need to throw more over the middle of the field with the success they had there this week....

383109740_3420552524767927_5977369139728095408_n.jpg

Nice write up as always! Pickett can thank the Raider DB for dropping was easy pick six, by doing so Pickett escaped the goat status.

Nice write up as always! Pickett can thank the Raider DB for dropping was easy pick six, by doing so Pickett escaped the goat status.

Come on, Coach, I know Kenny had a decent game but the greatest of all time? Puh-leeze.

I am concerned that the refs for some reason are going to let defenders hammer Kenny. From the Baltimore game when the defender grabbed his face mask and threw him head-first into the turf causing a concussion, to the Damar Hamlin hit to his head when he was sliding. to getting slammed to the turf in the opener, to the to multiple times he was hit in the helmet and facemask yesterday, without a call on ANY of those plays.

You think defenses don't notice that it's open season on Kenny? Why the **** do you think the Raiders thought they could hit him on the face and head without concern?

Kenny has arguably the best game of his career

Canada calls one of the best games of his career

And if Peters makes an absolute easy catch on a route he was sitting on it’s just another L on the way to 9-8…thank you Limas Peters, we needed the help

KP8 operating at his best in Canada’s system firing on every cylinder it has and the margin of victory relies on opposing player not grabbing the ez6…yep this seems absolutely sustainable to attain the standard of mediocrity that has been set.

8 or 9 seed here we come!!!

I’m gonna savor slipping by the crap team that is the Raiders tho, it’s been a minute since they achieved that task
Was a ****** throw to Heyward who never turned to look. Happened right in front of us in the stadium and damn glad Peters dropped it.

Hines Ward in that scene as well, right? (Never saw the movie.)
Yes

Ben,Smith,Pouncy,Keisel,Ward,Omar,Cowher,Wallace

I may have missed a few. I'm not sure who was on the opposing team.

As to Minkah's PF, the rule book explicitly states that if it there is any doubt on a QB hit, err on the side of safety and throw the flag. It's the only rule in the book that says this.
Maybe the refs are looking out for Minkah the same way they targeted Harrison when he was laying opponents out.