• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats, & FU's...........week 5..................vs Ratbirds

Player in KC game took his helmet off right in front of ref. Ref told him clearly to put it back on. No flag.
Game was over when TJ took his helmet off. Absolutely no effect on anything.

We won thanks to a handful of players ( Pickens, and Warren ) and the rookie LT Jones has himself a job with the starting unit.
I'm glad he had the chance to start today and should've won himself the job for the rest of the season. When you trade up for a guy in the first round, they should be a week 1 starter.

I'm glad he had the chance to start today and should've won himself the job for the rest of the season. When you trade up for a guy in the first round, they should be a week 1 starter.

Nah, you never want to start a guy too early.. week 1rookie starters should be a rare thing, but getting them game ready by the middle of the season is a reasonable expectation.

There are lots of good players that sat for a year or two… some even 3… it’s legitimate. Jones was a guy with a huge upside that was expected to be super raw.

The reality is that college just doesn’t prep players for a pro game anymore and the NFL contract structure doesn’t reward slow development and it’s really killing the product.. Olines particularly.

The NFL needs a true feeder league to fix this, but they refuse to do it..

Nah, you never want to start a guy too early.. week 1rookie starters should be a rare thing, but getting them game ready by the middle of the season is a reasonable expectation.

There are lots of good players that sat for a year or two… some even 3… it’s legitimate. Jones was a guy with a huge upside that was expected to be super raw.

The reality is that college just doesn’t prep players for a pro game anymore and the NFL contract structure doesn’t reward slow development and it’s really killing the product.. Olines particularly.

A high draft pick should be starter capable. Sure Broderick was expected to be a little raw but you had training camp and preseason to shake that off. As his talent level was obvious. Plus you have to factor in who is he replacing a reliable vet or a struggling vet?

Moore was known to struggle so you go with the guy with a higher upside that reps can expedite development.

That doesn't make any sense. Sitting 5 games makes them starter material? What about 6 weeks of training camp and 3 preseason games? Why don't those count as the 5 weeks?

Broderick Jones was the best offensive lineman on the field yesterday. Teryl Austin finally - FINALLY - put JPJ on the field the 2nd half of the game. Huh, wonder what happened to the Ravens offense that lit up the defense for 250 yards in the first half?

If just sitting and watching football made you better at it, I would be a combination of Ben, Butkus and Bubba.

I didn't watch the game, I went on a glorious hike with my wife. I watched the game "Highlights" and I'm glad I missed that hot garbage of a game. This team is no inept it's hilarious. a ******* riot. The way Mike Tomlin wlked off the field all debonair with his sun glasses on and hands in pockets like his team did something. I'm done.

I would add Broderick Jones to game balls. Just a really, really solid outing. Good in both pass and run blocking. Dan Moore may have lost his job.
I focused on him on a few plays and he had no issues that I saw. I'm sure there were some as he's a rookie but he looked good during the plays I watched him.

I didn't watch the game, I went on a glorious hike with my wife. I watched the game "Highlights" and I'm glad I missed that hot garbage of a game. This team is no inept it's hilarious. a ******* riot. The way Mike Tomlin wlked off the field all debonair with his sun glasses on and hands in pockets like his team did something. I'm done.
Well.... they did win so there is that.

😁

They didn't win in a manner in which you strut off the field like you're the ******* **** of the hen house. :LOL:
Well yeah those days are long gone. Now we can just see , "whew we just pulled out a narrow victory by the skin of our epidermis arse above the subcutaneous tissues."

I disagree. Rookies are making huge impacts every year, especially in recent years. Jones showed he was capable of playing in the preseason, even with struggles (which probably would've been no worse than what Moore brings to the table). JPJ is already outperforming Peterson and Wallace. Washington is a better blocker than Freiermuth. Benton is the best DL not named Heyward on the Steelers. Rookies can make an instant impact.

I disagree. Rookies are making huge impacts every year, especially in recent years. Jones showed he was capable of playing in the preseason, even with struggles (which probably would've been no worse than what Moore brings to the table). JPJ is already outperforming Peterson and Wallace. Washington is a better blocker than Freiermuth. Benton is the best DL not named Heyward on the Steelers. Rookies can make an instant impact.

But not all players are the same, nor are all draft classes… a first round pick in one draft class might be a third or even fourth round pick in a different draft depending on positional depth and team needs…

Moreover guys are in different levels of development when they get to the NFL… so for instance, of the top OLinemen this year
Paris Johnson was expected to be ready at LT right away, Peter Skoronski was expected to start right away, but probably at guard because of length, Wright was a pure RT.. Harrison was a guy better in pass protection than runblocking..

Broderick Jones was the guy that scouts thought might ultimately be the best, but was going to be the furthest away from starting right away. He was Raw. Just because the others are starting ( only one at LT, btw) doesn’t mean Jones is going to be ready too…

Most rookie starters are also on either bad teams that have nothing to lose by starting them or teams with gaping holes at the position.

The bottom line is that players should ideally start when they have superceeded any of tge vets in their path.. they shouldn’t be anointed as a starter right off the bat.

Having said that, it probably is getting close for some of these guys, and the bye is an ideal time to formally insert them

Look at Jalen Carter on the Eagles… they are bringing him along slowly and that guy is popping… the Eagles are a better team with more talent so they can afford to…

But not all players are the same, nor are all draft classes… a first round pick in one draft class might be a third or even fourth round pick in a different draft depending on positional depth and team needs…

Moreover guys are in different levels of development when they get to the NFL… so for instance, of the top OLinemen this year
Paris Johnson was expected to be ready at LT right away, Peter Skoronski was expected to start right away, but probably at guard because of length, Wright was a pure RT.. Harrison was a guy better in pass protection than runblocking..

Broderick Jones was the guy that scouts thought might ultimately be the best, but was going to be the furthest away from starting right away. He was Raw. Just because the others are starting ( only one at LT, btw) doesn’t mean Jones is going to be ready too…

Most rookie starters are also on either bad teams that have nothing to lose by starting them or teams with gaping holes at the position.

The bottom line is that players should ideally start when they have superceeded any of tge vets in their path.. they shouldn’t be anointed as a starter right off the bat.

Having said that, it probably is getting close for some of these guys, and the bye is an ideal time to formally insert them
No you don't give a player anything. They just should use some common sense. If option A struggles and option B could struggle but has a higher upside you have to identify if option B is ready and if so insert him. Past years there has been players that proved ready and they inserted them. The way three in this class is playing I have a hard time believing one wasn't ready. For me it just smelled of living in their fears. Those fears started to diminish when they saw their options in front of them weren't playing well.

Look at Jalen Carter on the Eagles… they are bringing him along slowly and that guy is popping… the Eagles are a better team with more talent so they can afford to…
Carter is a stud. We seriously need to get a player like him high in the draft next year.

Carter is a stud. We seriously need to get a player like him high in the draft next year.
We have a long way to go, but I am focusing in on defensive line or cornerback. The Steelers have something with Benton and adding another piece could create a dominant defensive line. Having another young cornerback to pair with Porter would be a nice addition as well.

Short of off field issues or getting a steal like Watt, it will take a top 5 pick.

We have a long way to go, but I am focusing in on defensive line or cornerback. The Steelers have something with Benton and adding another piece could create a dominant defensive line. Having another young cornerback to pair with Porter would be a nice addition as well.

We do, it's Corey Trice, unfortunately he tore his ACL in camp, but he was getting more rave reviews than even Porter. But, I'm not against taking another young CB to try and build an elite secondary. Hell, I'm still waiting to see Desmond King in this lineup

Porter isn't long for the position and Wallace is an upcoming free agent. Perhaps they dip into the free agent well again though.😉

We do, it's Corey Trice, unfortunately he tore his ACL in camp, but he was getting more rave reviews than even Porter. But, I'm not against taking another young CB to try and build an elite secondary. Hell, I'm still waiting to see Desmond King in this lineup
Really believe they have to treat Trice like he isn't on the roster or won't be. If he makes it great. But we have no idea if his injury past and present will go away or continue on. Is he Golson reincarnated or just an unlucky player that will cross over and be active and healthy? I would let Wallace walk bring in and draft another corner to give the team plenty of options.

Really believe they have to treat Trice like he isn't on the roster or won't be. If he makes it great. But we have no idea if his injury past and present will go away or continue on. Is he Golson reincarnated or just an unlucky player that will cross over and be active and healthy? I would let Wallace walk bring in and draft another corner to give the team plenty of options.
Wallace is definitely going to leave, but I assume they will bring in a vet CB … im hearing rumors of another trade with Chicago, though i bet we have to overpay lol