• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.............week @ Broncos

That’s the problem that the league won’t address it. They know exactly what a Hold is. Each official has his own interpretation, and they are inconsistent with each other. Each crew has their own idea, that’s why it’s different each week. All these broadcasters say coaches tell the players to adjust to the officials viewpoint. I call Bullshit on that. The rule book DEFINES what a Holding penalty is. Every official should officiate the rule the exactly the same. They sure do with protecting the QB. Same with PI, however, they really need to start using the Booth official on subjective calls.

What some are missing is that the officials (backed by league and owners) are going to restrict OLBs from have clean runs to the 25-50+ million $$$ QB. Owners want their investments well & playing. Thus the over abundance of non-holding call on our leagues best OLBs. The holding on these players is designed to keep the products stars playing.

The other problem is Godell seems to have a personal vendetta against anything STEELERS. Our owner hasn’t a backbone to “behind” the scene rip him a new one. Baltimore’s owner stood his ground during the COVID fiasco, causing the Steelers to suffer unfairly, our ownership…crickets. (Speculation of course)

These officials know exactly their place in the picture called the NFL. They are just pawns, calling the games by the way they are dictated to call them. They are just a tool of the gambling manipulation and the entertainment value of the product.

I have no proof, speculation of course, but also a very real-able synopsis of how it works. Simple version

Salute the nation

Gold star for you. The NCAA has 1000% better officiating then the NFL because they're letting NY or HQ oversee every game. They have 5 times the total amount of teams and yet Roger trots the same substandard officiating year after year and week after week.

#ridiculous😤

Well I will applaud the league getting Walt Anderson, Ed Hochili, Walt Coleman, Tony Corrente and Gene Steratore to retire or pushed to the League Office leadership back in 2018. Some guys went the Dean Blandino route and joined networks as part of broadcast teams, but more needs done. I was hoping Mike Carey would have been the NFL Director of officiating, but he chose to retire. Probably, became aware like Blandino was that a purge was coming.

It doesn’t have to be public, but the accountability mechanism needs revamped. Because the same officials are making the same mistakes for which they are supposed to be downgraded. I agree with you Berm, while some officials are already pilfered from the power 5 conferences, they need to grab more. Additionally, more integration with the competition committee would be another reason to make officials full-time employees for the league.

Well I will applaud the league getting Walt Anderson, Ed Hochili, Walt Coleman, Tony Corrente and Gene Steratore to retire or pushed to the League Office leadership back in 2018. Some guys went the Dean Blandino route and joined networks as part of broadcast teams, but more needs done. I was hoping Mike Carey would have been the NFL Director of officiating, but he chose to retire. Probably, became aware like Blandino was that a purge was coming.

It doesn’t have to be public, but the accountability mechanism needs revamped. Because the same officials are making the same mistakes for which they are supposed to be downgraded. I agree with you Berm, while some officials are already pilfered from the power 5 conferences, they need to grab more. Additionally, more integration with the competition committee would be another reason to make officials full-time employees for the league.

I'm all for making the officiating better, if that actually can be done. Thanks for all your insight, Ike, appreciate it.

Salute the nation

What some are missing is that the officials (backed by league and owners) are going to restrict OLBs from have clean runs to the 25-50+ million $$$ QB. Owners want their investments well & playing. Thus the over abundance of non-holding call on our leagues best OLBs. The holding on these players is designed to keep the products stars playing.

The other problem is Godell seems to have a personal vendetta against anything STEELERS. Our owner hasn’t a backbone to “behind” the scene rip him a new one. Baltimore’s owner stood his ground during the COVID fiasco, causing the Steelers to suffer unfairly, our ownership…crickets. (Speculation of course)

These officials know exactly their place in the picture called the NFL. They are just pawns, calling the games by the way they are dictated to call them. They are just a tool of the gambling manipulation and the entertainment value of the product.

I have no proof, speculation of course, but also a very real-able synopsis of how it works. Simple version

Salute the nation

You are on to something there Drink about the LB limitations with QBs. I know one thing that would help resolve it. How about quit paying these QBs these insane contracts for once. Maybe a position cap needs to be introduced, IDK, But some of these owners can’t help themselves and screw over other franchises because they don’t use fiscal reasoning.

I’m not sure if Goodell has a vendetta but he doesn’t measure fairly as he does for his good buddy Kraft and “best friend” Bisciotti. Goodell wouldn’t be there had Tags not persuaded to Dan Rooney (they were tight from Pete Rozzelle’s friendship) to vouched for him to Art2.

The COVID bullshit was definitely without fair play from a competitive standpoint. But, a once in a century event and there was no playbook to follow. So it was seat of the pants compromise between the networks, the NFLPA, ownership, state/federal authorities and the fans.

As for the gambling/entertainment angle, you don’t have to prove any conspiracy Drink, the league has a friggin contract with multiple betting groups! They are raking in the $$$$, with FanDuel, MGM, BET and a couple others.

Our offense led by Tomlin/ Fields averages 15 points per game. Less than last year. Our defense averages giving up 8 points per game. This is Tomlins cream dream.

What should happen imho..
Is the refs should call holding every time they see it as written in rulebook..
If that happens, teams will compensate their blocking schemes and pass blocking personnel in response.
This will lead back to more of a power game, with running the football at a much higher percentage, and making tight ends prime targets over the middle of the field in the quick 3 step passing game.

Once that becomes difficult for teams to defend, especially with 3-4 personnel. defenses will then over compensate to the success of the straight ahead power football schemes, which will allow teams to open things up again..
Rinse and repeat ..
It’s called evolution of the game..

I like the idea of 2 penalty challenges per game. I'm not sure why so people are so upset about the 2nd Jones hold. He grabbed his jersey right between the numbers and it could be argued that it allowed Fields to get outside and find Pickens. I agree far worse holds are not called, but the Jones play was a legit hold. The OPI was bogus. Both defenders crashed down on Jefferson and Jefferson barely moved. One of those guys blew their assignment and we get managed out get flagged for it.