• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gearheads be damned

In Dallas, the North Dallas Tollway was created many, many, many years ago and the $$ from the tolls was supposed to be used to pay for that road until it was paid for. I moved here in 1992 and it has long ago been completed, but the tolls are still there. The only difference is instead of the 15 cents that it used to be, it is now $1.30 for each booth and more booths. Our local hwy 121 used to be free, but now it is a toll road. That's the way everything is going. More and more toll roads, but my property taxes are not decreasing. I have to dispute my property appraisal value each year to keep it from skyrocketing.

Sorry, I think this thread was about automakers or something. My bad. :)

I read an article several years ago about the toll roads here in Richmond Va. It said the roads that have tolls on them can only have tolls while the roads are being paid for from the original construction. So when the original loan was almost paid off the toll people (don't know what else to call them) just refinanced the entire loan at a tiny payment for another 30 years so they could keep on collecting the tolls. ******* cheating *** ********, but what can you expect from a city that refuses to elect anyone but hardcore leftists.....just like every other near bankrupt city in the US of A.
Btw I am told that I should consider myself lucky that I ONLY pay a buck fiddy each day in tolls to go to work. Don't they know that could feed a whole village in some third world country? Racist pricks

Would you rather those taxes be revoked and every road become a toll road so you can pay to use them?

BUT MUH ROADS!

Hamster beat me to it. But the fuel excise taxes are supposed to pay for roads. Excessive registration fees and property taxes are just slush funds for the Pols.

I wouldn't know where to start on today's cars. Now on my 36 Dodge, I took out the entire drive train and suspension and swapped in modern stuff and by modern I mean a 1972 sbc. But I wouldn't even want to change the plugs on these new cars today.

The mechanical stuff is still the same. If you can turn a wrench on a SBC you can turn a wrench on a late modle vehicle. I can tell you having done it both ways I would much rather data log with a laptop or pull a code with a scan tool than troubleshoot the old fashioned way. And performance upgrades are way easier now, you switch out the parts and dial in the tune with your laptop. No more recurving distributors, changing jets and metering rods or fiddling with changing timing with a light. No more guess work at all with the data logging in modern EFI systems because you know exactly shat your fuel/spark, vacuum and idle parameters are and you can remap and get it right the first time from it.

BUT MUH ROADS!

Hamster beat me to it. But the fuel excise taxes are supposed to pay for roads. Excessive registration fees and property taxes are just slush funds for the Pols.
I don't know if the Feds are still doing this, but several years ago I read that they weren't spending all the Federal fuel tax money so that the deficit looked smaller.

The Pa Turnpike is one of the oldest roads in the country (and it shows) but there's still a toll. Then again we're still paying an excise tax on liquor to pay for the Johnstown flood.

And the gasoline taxes are used for what?

to pay for the roads electric cars get to use for free

China's first electric supercar

qiantu-k50-china-1-660x431.jpg

qiantu-k50-china-2-660x443.jpg

qiantu-k50-china-3-660x352.jpg

You would have to khave a 3d printer that handles the material needed for the part. I doubt people will have the ability. But the royalty solution is to license the plan for the part.

As surprising as it seems, I think 21 is, partly, right. Cars have a **** ton of plastic or plastic type pieces which could be 3d printed with no one wiser. Way over priced for what they are. Could could probably throw a handful of rocks at any high school and hit 10 people who could program it.

I don't think integral engine parts will be there for quite a while.

As surprising as it seems, I think 21 is, partly, right. Cars have a **** ton of plastic or plastic type pieces which could be 3d printed with no one wiser. Way over priced for what they are. Could could probably throw a handful of rocks at any high school and hit 10 people who could program it.

I don't think integral engine parts will be there for quite a while.

How is no one the wiser? I bet they end up linked so they won't print patented parts without payment.

In garages all across the country, they take the new technology and make monsters like this for "street racing". Rules...rules, there ain't no stinkin' rules in what you can put under the hood and where you get ideas, parts or imagination.

Last edited:
In Dallas, the North Dallas Tollway was created many, many, many years ago and the $$ from the tolls was supposed to be used to pay for that road until it was paid for. I moved here in 1992 and it has long ago been completed, but the tolls are still there. The only difference is instead of the 15 cents that it used to be, it is now $1.30 for each booth and more booths. Our local hwy 121 used to be free, but now it is a toll road. That's the way everything is going. More and more toll roads, but my property taxes are not decreasing. I have to dispute my property appraisal value each year to keep it from skyrocketing.

Sorry, I think this thread was about automakers or something. My bad. :)
Houston, TX Beltway 8, Westpark and now the Tomball Parkway. Chaps. My. ***!

I wouldn't know where to start on today's cars. Now on my 36 Dodge, I took out the entire drive train and suspension and swapped in modern stuff and by modern I mean a 1972 sbc. But I wouldn't even want to change the plugs on these new cars today.
I just bought a Hyundai Sonata. Half the motor is encased. I just closed it and shook my head. Im not even sure I can replace the battery myself. I used to do the brakes, oil change, carb work, plugs, etc on my 65 Chevy. Supervised by my Dad, but he sure wasnt gonna do it.