• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hate to rain on our 400 yd parade....

Stewey

Reaction score
....but the Bungles have the 4th worst defense in the NFL.
I did not know that.

I would love to know what yinz think about that, and has it put a damper on things for you?

Good news is that we have moved up.
Not really as you still have to still play the game. On any given Sunday any team can emerge with a victory.

KP had his highest completion percentage on the season. They were playing a division foe that wanted to win.

By all means it doesn't make the Steelers a Juggernaut, no fan should have that false sense of grandeur. At the same time you hope they can become more competitive with the change.

Nope. No damper at all. Because the Steelers of the last 2.5 years wouldn't have put up 400 yds on anyone; 4th worse or lower included.
Yep. The Steelers have played a lot of bad defenses the past few years and were completely ineffective at moving the ball. Today they did what they were supposed to for once.

this offense has been bad against even horrible defenses. In just 1 game after Canada, there was clear improvement. The refs took a TD away. They blew some chances. But they actually had chances. That's the point. WRs were actually open. Kenny's passing chart looked like a real NFL QB and not a high school option QB.

The difference in the game was going over the middle of the field early and going to Muth a lot. He's the most reliable receiving option IMO. Going over the middle then opened things up and we had our run game going. I don't think there was a whole lot else that was different. Pickett was sharper but I'll take in to account who we were playing. Bengals defense was pretty damn bad.

I did not know that.

I would love to know what yinz think about that, and has it put a damper on things for you?

All the teams we face down the stretch except the Ravens kind of suck on D.. which is why if Canada survives past last week, he had a chance to be brought back…

But the thing to take away is the offense was Fundamentally different without him… we targeted the middle of the field and the offense was organically balanced.

The increased yards were going to come regardless… people underestimate how good the d’s we mostly faced starting off this season…
Its the way they called and executed the offense that mattered today

They took careful shots at appropriate times.

The defense comes up with splash plays. Tomlin likes splash plays. His strategy to keep things close has worked. But we are a low scoring team. Probably can't run with the big dogs in the AFC.

The play calling was coherent making sense for down and distance as well

Opening up the attack of the middle of the field seemed to open space on the sidelines and that in turn helped open the run game…who knew, other than 99% of people here

A couple of steps in the right direction tho so even vs a bad bungle D with another backup QB the game itself was actually watchable…it looked like an average NFL offense and that’s way better than 31/32 range and should be plenty good enough for the D too

Okay, The Steelers put up 400 yards on a bad defense. But did you notice the Bengals come out in a 2 high safety look like ALL the other defenses to guard outside of the hashes and the Steelers Schematically were ready for it? Do you remember the Cleveland game when players said they weren't prepared for the zone look the Cleveland Defense gave them? The fact that the OC's had the offense prepared and had a solid game plan in the face of their new roles is a VERY welcome start to getting this team on track. I actually enjoyed watching the Steelers offense yesterday. I haven't said that in almost 4 years.

I did not know that.

We went out and put up over 400. We can’t control who is put in front of us.

With their “D” being weak, we did what is expected. Beats the hell out of NOT putting up 400.

Salute the nation

Okay, The Steelers put up 400 yards on a bad defense. But did you notice the Bengals come out in a 2 high safety look like ALL the other defenses to guard outside of the hashes and the Steelers Schematically were ready for it? Do you remember the Cleveland game when players said they weren't prepared for the zone look the Cleveland Defense gave them? The fact that the OC's had the offense prepared and had a solid game plan in the face of their new roles is a VERY welcome start to getting this team on track. I actually enjoyed watching the Steelers offense yesterday. I haven't said that in almost 4 years.

Great post Badcat, thank you.

that reference to last week and the players NOT being ready for the zone, came to mind right away. It was a nice thing to see our offense dictate to the opposing “D”, instead of the other way around.

Salute the nation

Sorry I am a little slow this Monday morning...
Can you clarify that please?
A post game happy exaggeration?

Oh nevermind I saw he answered.

🤣

I did not know that.

I'm pretty sure we have played bad defenses at some point in the past 58 games (law of averages says we most likely played a worse one than the bungles) and still hadn't done it.

Joe