• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Holcomb contract

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
First off thanks to whoever restored ability for me to start a thread. Though Bermuda and Coolie will disagree. I realize you cannot predict injury but Cole Holcomb would have been a 4 million dollar cap saving as a June 1 cut. You have two sure starters in Queen and Roberts. A guy they drafted and continue to churn out article after article raving about to the point where I think Roberts is in jeopardy of being a back up. That 4 million could be reallocate to DB or packaged with the rest of the cap room and make a play on a receiver 2 trade.

I prefer to see if he can return to form. Last year they had to unretire a player just to have a body in there. The Steelers don’t have a lot of coverage capable ILBers. And with that ability a significant one for the scheme I keep him.

Is Holcomb on a rehab knee better than Mark Robinson. It's gonna be 8 million plus tied up in Holcomb and Oline Herbig. That's decent starter coin.

First off thanks to whoever restored ability for me to start a thread. Though Bermuda and Coolie will disagree. I realize you cannot predict injury but Cole Holcomb would have been a 4 million dollar cap saving as a June 1 cut. You have two sure starters in Queen and Roberts. A guy they drafted and continue to churn out article after article raving about to the point where I think Roberts is in jeopardy of being a back up. That 4 million could be reallocate to DB or packaged with the rest of the cap room and make a play on a receiver 2 trade.
I don't know the details and repercussions of his injury. Would they owe him anything if they outright cut him at this point? Tomlin went on record saying he will be well enough to participate in full come camp, but who can believe what he says? $4 mill is a lot to pay if we don't even know if he will be 100%, I hear his injury was fairly nasty. Hopefully we won't need him as we have Queen and Wilson but as last year proved, you never know with injuries. Here's hoping he can return at full health but that's not likely this soon after his type of knee injury.

Good point Sask......but why wouldn't they wait for camp to make that call.....couldn't they free up the same dough by re-doing a contract?
When I went on over the cap it said June 1st cut save 4 million. But I could be wrong. And speaking of thin slash. The receiving room is one injury away from total disaster.

I don't know the details and repercussions of his injury. Would they owe him anything if they outright cut him at this point? Tomlin went on record saying he will be well enough to participate in full come camp, but who can believe what he says? $4 mill is a lot to pay if we don't even know if he will be 100%, I hear his injury was fairly nasty. Hopefully we won't need him as we have Queen and Wilson but as last year proved, you never know with injuries. Here's hoping he can return at full health but that's not likely this soon after his type of knee injury.
Zing!!

When I went on over the cap it said June 1st cut save 4 million. But I could be wrong. And speaking of thin slash. The receiving room is one injury away from total disaster.
Nothing now stopping them now from bringing in a WR besides teams unwilling to unload one.

Nothing now stopping them now from bringing in a WR besides teams unwilling to unload one.
Well amount you could pay in longterm deal is an issue. It's essentially if one of these teams wants to play chicken with guy in his last year of contract and get nothing or not.

But they can cut him in Aug and save the same amount....why not watch him in camp?
Thus is the question.
My bad read a full article. They can still cut him post June first and save the cap space. That said the sooner you get someone in at a different position the better.

God forbid queen or Wilson get injured in TC and suddenly having Holcomb is a life saver as Roberts is limited as a Mac
Holcomb is 4th at best. He will be making 7.6 million this season. Robinson ain't that bad and he isn't coming off knee reconstruction.

I'm not saying that.
Most important ability in football......availability. he has played 10 or less in 3 of the last 4 seasons.
I'm saying if he's healthy for Training Camp you better keep him, because anyone can get injured and he's our 2nd best ILB when healthy. That's it.

After that, you make a decision, no need to do it now. Is not like the team is short on cap space to get anyone right now.

I don’t know…………….. Yep

Salute the nation

No Robinson is depth. But he 1.03 million dollar he isnt 7.6 million dollar depth.

If you keep cutting the high priced defensive players,….. you won’t have the highest paid defense anymore………

Salute the nation

In the interest of keeping Minkah at safety I’d at least keep him into camp. Depth was decimated last year, it can happen quickly.

If he isn’t good to go the start of preseason then begin thinking replacement possibilities

I just don’t see how getting rid of 2nd best ILB makes the team better this year, the only way I see that is if the injury has moved him to 3rd-4th best

You get rid of starters out of necessity when pressed against the cap, that is not the situation the Steelers are in thanks to Khan.