• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hottest Spring On Record Globally 2014

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/06/17/3449871/hottest-spring-on-record/

The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) reported Monday that March-May was the hottest in more than 120 years of record-keeping. It was also the hottest May on record.

This is especially noteworthy because we’re still waiting for the start of El Niño. It is usually the combination of the underlying long-term warming trend and the regional El Niño warming pattern that leads to new global temperature records.

You may be wondering how the world is setting records for the warmest March, April, and May (the boreal spring) when it wasn’t particularly hot in the United States (assuming we ignore California and Alaska). It turns out there’s like a whole planet out there that has been getting very toasty

Of course as we all know at steeler nation these Japanese scientists are involved in the world wide communist plot, they're still upset about losing WW2 so out of spitefulness they decided to upset their whole economy. That'll teach us.

Or maybe they just want some of that American grant money they don't qualify for, or maybe they want grants from their government...oh wait they work for their government so they are salaried. Does not matter if global warming is real or not to them it all pays the same......hmmm....

JMA-Spring-638x598.jpg

Steeler Nation response; ' I know I left those Watts Up With That fake Lord Monckton charts somewhere down here'

ostriches_bury_their_head_1353322375_540x540.jpg

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
was it also the coldest winter on record?
how far back do the records go?
are these official?
who decides these stats are official?

Popcorn02.jpg

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2014/03/13/usa-winter-weather-climate-report/6367757/

The winter of 2013-14 was a tale of two extremes, bringing intense cold and heavy snow in the north-central USA and record-breaking warmth and drought in the West, especially California.

The average temperature for the contiguous U.S. during the winter season was 31.3 degrees, one degree below the 20th-century average, marking the 34th coldest winter on record, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reported Thursday.

It was the coldest winter since 2009-10, which had an average temperature of 30.7 degrees.

Overall, this winter was both colder and drier than average, according to data released Thursday by NOAA.

It was the ice age before it was global warming before it was climate change. "Evolution."

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score
was it also the coldest winter on record?
how far back do the records go?
are these official?
who decides these stats are official?

No not the coldest winter, again the U.S. is not the only country on the planet. We are talking global averages.

The records go back 120 years if we're talking thermometers, and that's what they're talking

They are official as far as the Japanese go, don't worry they're won't be a huge mistake. No one puts out something like that if there is even a tiny chance they would be embarrassed later. Plus the math is easy enough.( cue a denier with a hockey stick graph he doesn't understand)

The telling thing is this keeps happening over and over yet the deniers chug right along regurgitating nonsense. I believe this month will be 352 in a row with above average temps.

The best is yet to come, from the article

It seems all but certain more records will be broken in the coming months, as global warming combines with an emerging El Niño.

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
There is a world outside the U.S. believe it or not. Notice the word 'Japan' and 'global'?

Here is one more, average.

They now call it Climate Change or Global Warming? I get so confused. If it is Global warming, why are so many portions of the Globe experiencing greater cold than ever? Odd phenomenon. The US is apparently NOT a part of the Globe.

There are also news sources outside your Liberal trade rags correct? "ThinkProgress is a liberal American political blog that "provide a forum that advances progressive ideas and policies".[2] It is an outlet of the Center for American Progress."
Translation: The source is a propaganda machine for the left, not transparent, and facts are not a part of the equation.

You will have your Carbon Tax, facts be damned.

Worked really well in Germany in Australia by the way.

Spike

Reaction score

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Polo,

Can you please explain a couple things? The chart you posted would seem to indicate that that 1981-2010 is some sort of baseline --- why?
The graph would then seem to indicate that temperatures are now above that baseline, but were below that for an extended period, like a century.
Any reasonable person, aware of things like seasons and the cyclicality of nature, might then come to the conclusion that the chart could extend a further century to the right, with warmer and warmer temps, and still be reasonable about cycling around the chosen baseline.
I'll simplify: that chart suggests that a full century of warming would be normal.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
Few people deny that currently, global temps are rising. The debate is over aspects of the problem that I suppose are too complex for Polo to contemplate.

Does the Earth quite commonly and normally go through decades long warming, and cooling trends? Is it caused by human originated CO2 emissions? Entirely? Mostly? A lot? A little? Is it also influenced by naturally fluctuating weather patterns that have happened, but have not been meticulously recorded, for centuries? Are the effects catastrophic, a lot bad, a little bad, not really bad at all, or maybe even beneficial? Are the proposed solutions totally effective, very effective, only a little effective, a complete waste of time and money? Does the harm caused by the "solutions" outweigh the potential benefits? Are there other motivations behind some of the proposed solutions?

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
Are there other motivations behind some of the proposed solutions?

Oh my goodness no! Liberals are TRULY truly truly concerned about us. They would never lie about things like these to do things like PROFIT from our hysteria. Never, ever, never ever.

oh-my-goodness4.jpg

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
No chance Confluence. The key to climate science is finding a section of chart that shoots upwards and running around with your arms flailing. The Earth is steaming hot. It's never been hotter. We are all going to die, soon. The end is nigh! Repent! Buy a Prius! Slap some "coincide" bumper stickers on it!

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
No chance Confluence. The key to climate science is finding a section of chart that shoots upwards and running around with your arms flailing. The Earth is steaming hot. It's never been hotter. We are all going to die, soon. The end is nigh! Repent! Buy a Prius! Slap some "coincide" bumper stickers on it!

images

Utopia

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Never realized it before, but is that a little witchy-poo five pointed star above the i?

If so, I'm in!

PoloMalo43

Banned
Reaction score
They now call it Climate Change or Global Warming? I get so confused. If it is Global warming, why are so many portions of the Globe experiencing greater cold than ever? Odd phenomenon. The US is apparently NOT a part of the Globe.

There are also news sources outside your Liberal trade rags correct? "ThinkProgress is a liberal American political blog that "provide a forum that advances progressive ideas and policies".[2] It is an outlet of the Center for American Progress."
Translation: The source is a propaganda machine for the left, not transparent, and facts are not a part of the equation.

You will have your Carbon Tax, facts be damned.

Worked really well in Germany in Australia by the way.

Would you like it straight from the Japanese then? Here you go:

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/gwp/temp/spr_wld.html

As far as global warming and climate change they are almost interchangeable in our contemporary use, but no they don't mean same thing. Climate change is the change of world wide weather patterns and those changes can be caused by natural or anthropogenic forcings. In our case the climate is changing because we are warming the globe by adding greenhouse gases.

The reason climate change is used more frequently now is because it was REPUBLICANS who pushed for it.

Scroll down to page 12 of this PDF so we can see what Republican strategist Frank Lutz advocates

http://www.motherjones.com/files/LuntzResearch_environment.pdf

Below is the jist of it.

Conclusion:Redefining Labels

It’s time for us to start talking about “climate change” instead of global warming and “conservation” instead of preservation.

“Climate change” is less frightening than “global warming”. As one focus group participant noted, climate change “sounds like you’re going from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale.” While global warming has catastrophic connotations attached to it, climate change suggests a more controllable and less emotional challenge.

SO RUSH LIMBAUGH IS A LIAR! SHOCKING! FOX NEWS IS FULL OF LIARS! SHOCKING!

Who is Frank Lutz?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Luntz

Here is a book from 1956 with the term climate change http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2153-3490.1956.tb01206.x/abstract

Here is a paper from 1979 with the term global warming http://www2.meteo.uni-bonn.de/bibliothek/Flohn_Publikationen/K256-K286/K271.pdf

Both long before this was a hot topic.

Here is your sign

I%27m+Stupid.jpg

Here is your ride, make sure to pick up steeltime and the other deniers on this board. They'll be standing underneath a sign just like that one above.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
hey, wait a minute.....that OP article wasn't even peer-reviewed!

Must be another Koch Bros scam.

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
I post links. I see truth. The power of Google. All others are deniers. Global warming, despite our increasing global ice caps or colder winters, is REAL. Real I say, REAL.

Put on Elfie's clown shoes Al.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
Question. What percentage of Earth's existence has had frozen poles?

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Question. What percentage of Earth's existence has had frozen poles?

Is that for Elfie or Polo? Never noticed any other poster go on about forcings until just above.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Would you like it straight from the Japanese then? Here you go:

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/gwp/temp/spr_wld.html

As far as global warming and climate change they are almost interchangeable in our contemporary use, but no they don't mean same thing. Climate change is the change of world wide weather patterns and those changes can be caused by natural or anthropogenic forcings. In our case the climate is changing because we are warming the globe by adding greenhouse gases.

The reason climate change is used more frequently now is because it was REPUBLICANS who pushed for it.

Scroll down to page 12 of this PDF so we can see what Republican strategist Frank Lutz advocates

http://www.motherjones.com/files/LuntzResearch_environment.pdf

Below is the jist of it.

Conclusion:Redefining Labels

It’s time for us to start talking about “climate change” instead of global warming and “conservation” instead of preservation.

“Climate change” is less frightening than “global warming”. As one focus group participant noted, climate change “sounds like you’re going from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale.” While global warming has catastrophic connotations attached to it, climate change suggests a more controllable and less emotional challenge.

SO RUSH LIMBAUGH IS A LIAR! SHOCKING! FOX NEWS IS FULL OF LIARS! SHOCKING!

Who is Frank Lutz?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Luntz

Here is a book from 1956 with the term climate change http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2153-3490.1956.tb01206.x/abstract

Here is a paper from 1979 with the term global warming http://www2.meteo.uni-bonn.de/bibliothek/Flohn_Publikationen/K256-K286/K271.pdf

Both long before this was a hot topic.

Here is your sign

I%27m+Stupid.jpg

Here is your ride, make sure to pick up steeltime and the other deniers on this board. They'll be standing underneath a sign just like that one above.

Just wanted to make a copy before Polo by Elfie/Skeever does the edit.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Polo by Elfie/Skeever,

How does your team look in shorts this June?

diver

Reaction score
Do the global warming/climate change alarmists really want green energy, or just to put those big, nasty oil companies and their execs in their place?

The reason I ask is this:

One of the reasons a company like Solyndra and others failed is because they got th\eir money from the government. Even though it was a lot of money, there was a limit to it. They didn't have the capital to withstand downs. Now, what big corporations have the money to withstand downs? One would be big oil companies.

So, you give big oil tax breaks, but in return they have to explore/develop real, viable green energy, if it really exists. Put some benchmarks in and review it very couple of years. If nothing is happening, take away the tax breaks. Hell, I don't even care if they pay no taxes at all, if they can develop viable green energy. Let them make the all the profits off of it as well.

However, I think the alarmists deep down do not care as much about the earth as they do punishing those nasty companies. However, the truth is that in any economic system there will be the haves and have nots. We need to quit worrying about this class warfare ****. If my scenario is feasible, I could care less how many yachts some guy who runs an oil company has. My life would be better.

I would like to see green energy for more of the reason that oil and such I would assume has a finite supply. I really do not think man's activities are affecting the earth's temps, or that we can really do much about it. I think it a natural thing.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. Now it's all about averages. How come when they say that some ice melted in one spot and it gets pointed out that in a different spot the ice has gotten thicker, they say to shut the hell up, that doesn't matter. Look at that Polar Bear on a tiny ice raft.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know about man made global warming, but I do know that it was really really really really really damn hot here today. 97 degrees. Not sure what the heat index was. Miserable stuff.