• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hottest Spring On Record Globally 2014

It is hot here, really cold in the western states http://www.weather.com/safety/winter/montana-snow-june-20140616

Winter just won't quit, even as summer is right around the corner. Cool, huh?

Snow is falling over the higher elevations, as an upper-level low swirls over the Northern Rockies. Alta, Utah reported nine inches of snow on Tuesday, which makes it their third highest one-day snowfall total in June. Glacier National Park reports about one foot of snow fell on Wednesday at Sperry Chalet (approximately 6,590 feet in altitude). Lake-effect rain and snow has also developed off the Great Salt Lake, with snow above 7,000 feet.

(INTERACTIVE: Salt Lake City Radar)

Mountain snow will continue through Thursday morning in parts of the Northern Rockies. Winds will gust up to 30 mph and visibility may be less than half a mile at times.

Closer to pass level, look for a mix of rain and snow, with no accumulation expected. But if you have an early summer vacation planned for Glacier National Park, remember to bring your snow gear as more than a foot of snow is not out of the question.

I finally understand what Elfie has been claiming all along, and now I have to agree with her. I never really agreed with any of her posts before this. All I needed was just one more post, claiming the same thing, to really drive the point home. Now I am a believer.

I now believe that clown car accidents can be funny.

I don't know about man made global warming, but I do know that it was really really really really really damn hot here today. 97 degrees. Not sure what the heat index was. Miserable stuff.

The best is yet to come. The sad thing is it will take the world crumbling around them till deniers ask "What can we do?"

Too late of course.

I finally understand what Elfie has been claiming all along, and now I have to agree with her. I never really agreed with any of her posts before this. All I needed was just one more post, claiming the same thing, to really drive the point home. Now I am a believer.

They're funny as **** aren't they?

Winter just won't quit, even as summer is right around the corner. Cool, huh?

Record-Breaking Snow in June: Winter Storm in Montana, Utah, Wyoming

A winter storm warning was issued earlier for higher elevations, and more than 14 inches of snow had already fallen

proxy.jpg

People are so ******* gullible. So many easy targets out there with more money than sense.

People are so ******* gullible. .

We've heard it all before - the same hysterical screeching about the end of the world

"Climate experts believe the next ice age is on its way."

Owosso+Argus-Press+1970.png

Hey Polo,

Can you please explain a couple things? The chart you posted would seem to indicate that that 1981-2010 is some sort of baseline --- why?
The graph would then seem to indicate that temperatures are now above that baseline, but were below that for an extended period, like a century.
Any reasonable person, aware of things like seasons and the cyclicality of nature, might then come to the conclusion that the chart could extend a further century to the right, with warmer and warmer temps, and still be reasonable about cycling around the chosen baseline.
I'll simplify: that chart suggests that a full century of warming would be normal.

I'm not a mathematician or a climate scientist but I can tell you that my guess on the baseline would be after having read some Of the IPCC reports in the past, that they are trying to use(in most cases) the latest ~30 year data sets so everyone can be on the same page. In other words guys studying ice sheets, atmosphere etc.

If I had to guess it would also be that the last set is the one that contains the NASA satellite data that is the most accurate(technology evolution). Any earlier sets that depended on land temperature stations would be slightly less accurate as they leaned more on interpolation as some parts of the world had at that time stations scattered farther apart.

As far as the graph and it being 'reasonable' that it's part of a natural cycle, what cycle would that be? Also the coincidence of this hypothetical cycle aligning perfectly with humans release in the last 150+years of massive amounts of greenhouse gases....the odds of that happening would have to be astronomical.

We also know because of experimentation and observation that CO2 absorbs and emits long wave radiation. If this is part of a longer frequency natural cycle then where is the extra energy from G.G. emission going? That the extra energy matches up with the amount of G.G.'s released PROVES it's not a natural cycle.

If your trying to use Fred Singers '1500 year cycle' argument that has been thoroughly debunked, I say try again.

It doesn't add up, the only way it does is when you look at fossil fuel use.

We've heard it all before - the same hysterical screeching about the end of the world

The world will be just fine. It's only human civilization that will be going away, and if we persist the habitat that would support any type of life.

The world will still spin.

Record-Breaking Snow in June: Winter Storm in Montana, Utah, Wyoming

A winter storm warning was issued earlier for higher elevations, and more than 14 inches of snow had already fallen

Meanwhile back at the Southern Hemisphere ranch.............

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/global-warming-australia-record-heat-17521

Global Warming Playing a Role in Australia’s Record Heat

Published: June 6th, 2014

On the heels of the warmest 12-month period in Australia’s recorded history, parts of the country experienced an unusually strong stretch of warm autumn weather in May. Global warming has aided the string of record-breaking temperatures, according to Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) and other scientists, and will continue to increase the odds that new records will be set in the future.

“If you want to look for effects of climate change, Australia is the poster child in many respects,” said Kevin Trenberth, a climate researcher at the U.S. National Center for Atmospheric Research.

Australia has certainly been much in the news for extreme weather events in recent years, especially for relentless heat waves during the past two summers. And 2013 was the hottest year on record for the country, handily beating 2005, the previous record holder, by 0.3°F. So far, 2014 ranks as the fifth warmest on record.

More notably, with each month this year, the running 12-month temperature average has set a new record for warmest ever. Official records are only in through April, but “it is virtually certain that the 12 months ending May 2014 will also set a new high record,” the BOM said in a Special Climate Statement following an unusually warm spell in May, which mainly affected southeastern Australia and Tasmania.

climatecentral.org....is that a bit like the liberal version of tpnn????

They are funny as **** but I know you're being sarcastic so why don't you listen to other science deniers like yourself, see what they sound like.

Just sit back and ask that timeless question deniers have asked over the years; " ******* magnets how do they work?"

Oh and pick up these guys they need a ride in that car that you guys keep getting smashed in. They already have their own makeup.

Science deniers.... lol... I love extremist spin jargon... science is observing facts and formulating hypothesis based on those facts. Verifying the hypothesis through repeatable experiments. Its fairly common for several competing theories to be formulated from the same results. Politicizing the process and demonizing those who disagree with you are signs of religious fanaticism, not science... its perfectly reasonable to have multiple theories that stem from the same observations that need to have further research done... sometimes for decades or longer, to iron them out. Its also not unheard of to have entire theories that were widely held to be true totally scrapped as knowledge progresses...

Once more... when one side is shouting down any and all data that disputes their theory so vehemently, its probably more political than science... Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof.

Go to the paper that shall not be named and look at this article: Get-ready-to-whine-about-the-weather-again...

"Conversely, the weather service’*s long-range outlook wasn’*t as accurate. Using climatology, large-scale atmospheric patterns and the potential effects of El Nino and La Nina, it predicted a milder than normal winter with about normal precipitation for our region"

Again the atmosphere is a huge and complex chemistry equation we aren't even near to understanding completely..

Science deniers.... lol... I love extremist spin jargon... science is observing facts and formulating hypothesis based on those facts. Verifying the hypothesis through repeatable experiments. Its fairly common for several competing theories to be formulated from the same results. Politicizing the process and demonizing those who disagree with you are signs of religious fanaticism, not science... its perfectly reasonable to have multiple theories that stem from the same observations that need to have further research done... sometimes for decades or longer, to iron them out. Its also not unheard of to have entire theories that were widely held to be true totally scrapped as knowledge progresses...

Once more... when one side is shouting down any and all data that disputes their theory so vehemently, its probably more political than science... Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof.

You mean like the recent Time article which says that the decades of being told that the fat in foods like butter and chicken skin is bad for you might have not been correct information and, certainly, wasn't as bad as perdicted? A complex issue like how the human body reacts to various stimuli wasn't solved with a quick fix solution? How the human body complexity might have taken years to prove/disprove a theory and, in the mean time, you are having government hearings and putting out government policy based upon something that wasn't quite right?

Sorry, doesn't sound familiar. Besides, how much more complex can a global climate system be?

Go to the paper that shall not be named and look at this article: Get-ready-to-whine-about-the-weather-again...

"Conversely, the weather service’*s long-range outlook wasn’*t as accurate. Using climatology, large-scale atmospheric patterns and the potential effects of El Nino and La Nina, it predicted a milder than normal winter with about normal precipitation for our region"

Again the atmosphere is a huge and complex chemistry equation we aren't even near to understanding completely..

Climate projections are not the same as weather forecasting. Weather is chaotic.

Exactly. You and your friends aren't even in the same universe as far as understanding goes.

"science is observing facts and formulating hypothesis based on those facts"

Actually that statement is almost correct but lets run with it anyway since you wants facts.

Evans 2006

The earth's climate system is warmed by 35 C due to the emission of downward infrared radiation by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere (surface radiative forcing) or by the absorption of upward infrared radiation (radiative trapping). Increases in this emission/absorption are the driving force behind global warming. Climate models predict that the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere has altered the radiative energy balance at the earth's surface by several percent by increasing the greenhouse radiation from the atmosphere. With measurements at high spectral resolution, this increase can be quantitatively attributed to each of several anthropogenic gases.

Translation= Observation and measurement of green house gas forcing match models predictions

https://ams.confex.com/ams/Annual2006/techprogram/paper_100737.htm

Harries 2001

Changes in the Earth's greenhouse effect can be detected from variations in the spectrum of outgoing longwave radiation8, 9, 10, which is a measure of how the Earth cools to space and carries the imprint of the gases that are responsible for the greenhouse effect11, 12, 13. Here we analyse the difference between the spectra of the outgoing longwave radiation of the Earth as measured by orbiting spacecraft in 1970 and 1997. We find differences in the spectra that point to long-term changes in atmospheric CH4, CO2 and O3 as well as CFC-11 and CFC-12. Our results provide direct experimental evidence for a significant increase in the Earth's greenhouse effect that is consistent with concerns over radiative forcing of climate.

Translation=We can measure the temperature differences over time and we can analyze the isotopes of carbon in the atmosphere and easily conclude that; A. It's warming B.It's caused by our fossil fuel burning.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v410/n6826/abs/410355a0.html

These are experimental observable FACTS son, embrace them and remove your head from the sand or wherever else it's currently delusionally entrenched.

Last edited:
They are funny as **** but I know you're being sarcastic so why don't you listen to other science deniers like yourself, see what they sound like.

Just sit back and ask that timeless question deniers have asked over the years; " ******* magnets how do they work?"

Oh and pick up these guys they need a ride in that car that you guys keep getting smashed in. They already have their own makeup.

Yo Yo. Don't be hatin on the ICP. Know whad I'm sayin.

Its funny how narrow minded people totally miss the point of something and always conclude they are right and winning a debate when mostly they just look like fanatics to the average person... Im pretty well verses in both sides... if I wanted to go to a hardcore pro MM warming site and pull all the same arguments to post here I could... If I wanted to go to an anti MM warming site and do the same to counter all of those points I could do that too... the arguments for both sides aren't exactly secrets... which is exactly why its Ok to have two disputing theories until more data is known... of course people who are bigots never realize they are bigots... their opinion is right and all else be damned. Everyone else is just a simple minded fool...

This particular argument really disturbs me about the extremists mindset... so desperate to be right that they abandon all else... this particular issue has allowed Fracking, which has a far more quantifiable potential short term and long term environmental impact and is making the same companies that are being completely demonized in other debates by these same people, like Halliburton, Billions, to be totally overlooked while completely useless regulations are contemplated... the us is responsible for 6% of global mm Carbon Dioxide. Lets not even account for the net sink policies that demonstrate that more CO2 is removed from managed forests and land than produced in this country. lets just focus on the absolute uselessness of cutting a fraction of what already is a fraction of total CO2 production because naturally produced CO2 through human and animal life as well as forest fires and volcanoes and natural releases of groundborn CO2 is significantly large, as well as unaccounted for sources like small fires and other unregulated small reactions of the same ilk... its a drop in the bucket if they were able to make this happen... and they don't have the tech to do it yet... so why is it being pushed so hard?...

I will be the first in line to argue coal plants are dirty and we need a long term replacement that makes sense... but why the push to collapse the industry just in the US right now? By some accounts there is no hope even now, by others there is quite some time before events are irreversible. in either case the changes that are being forced are relatively useless. Shouldn't all the haliburton Iraq Oil conspiracy theorists be on this same train of thought here... or is it just that their party has decided what to think for them...

I said it before I will again... the extremists from the dems and the repubs will be the downfall of this country. Narrow-minded bigots and fools... blind to whatever they don't want to see...