• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How Hall of Fame Safety Steve Atwater Helped Former Steelers DB Carnell Lake Become an All-Pro Safety too

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Wednesday, the Pittsburgh Steelers released another “Time Machine” video on their YouTube channel featuring Steeler Nation Radio host, Stan Savran. This time, Savran met with former Steelers First Team All-Pro safety, Carnell Lake.

Lake played for the Steelers from 1989 to 1998, and later became the team’s defensive backs coach from 2011 to 2017. During his playing days, Lake also ended up having three Second Team All-Pro selections, was a 5x Pro Bowler, and was the 1997 AFC Defensive Player of the Year. He and Savran sat down and talked about Lake’s transition from linebacker to safety, and then from safety to cornerback, the Super Bowl runs in the ’90’s, and much more.

Carnell Lake talks with @StanLoveTheShow about playing multiple positions, coming to Pittsburgh, Dick LeBeau and more.@pepsi | Full
🎥
: https://t.co/zBpbnoF6dk pic.twitter.com/zatPNMBrs5

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) March 16, 2022

“Because I had switched positions from linebacker to safety, in my mind I was thinking, well it can’t be much harder than that because the switch from linebacker to safety, I had no experience. But switching from safety to corner, obviously I had six years of defensive back experience, and so that’s what made the transition easier — and that’s what made my decision to go ahead and allow the position switch in the first place just so much easier.

Lake continued as he expressed his appreciation for the mentorship provided by fellow safety at the time, Steve Atwater. Atwater is a 2x Super Bowl Champion with the Denver Broncos, a 2x First Team All-Pro selection, a 1x Second Team All-Pro selection, and an 8x Pro Bowler. Atwater was eventually inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2020.

“What helped me get through the East-West Shrine Game, the practices that week, I watched Steve Atwater. And we were paired up, I was a strong safety, Steve Atwater, obviously a Hall of Fame safety now, was the free safety, and I watched him practice. And I kept asking him questions, and Steve was great, and he answered a lot of my questions. We were friends and I just tried to emulate some of his play, even when we entered the pros.”

Lake and his wife Monica currently reside in Southern California and have three children. To watch his full interview on YouTube with Savran, click here.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Stan,,,Carnell,,love the show!! Great to be able to go back in the way-back machine with you...Damn shame Carnell and that group of players didn't get a ring....

Peyote is your friend.!!!

You can visit anywhere in the spirit world and at any given time.

Salute the nation

Peyote is your friend.!!!

You can visit anywhere in the spirit world and at any given time.

Salute the nation
What are you doing here in my spirit world? Be quiet I'm watching the Steelers beat Dallas in Super Bowl XXX, only a few more seconds to go and we can ice this mutha.