• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How the Steelers Can Get Back in First Place by Thanksgiving

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have had an extremely underwhelming season to start 2021. With September and the “first quarter” of the season in the books, they currently are 1-3 and two games behind every team in the AFC North. It’s going to be a difficult climb, but I’m going to outline how the Steelers can get back to first place by their Week 12 match up against the Cincinnati Bengals.

1 .Win​

First things first, the Steelers have to play better in all three facets of the game. Head coach Mike Tomlin has been very blunt about the team not performing to expectations and I expect a drastic turnaround in the next month. There’s no sugar coating it and the stats back it up – this is a bottom five offense in the NFL. However, the Steelers have been dealing with a multitude of injuries to key playmakers like Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool. They have not had all of their starting wide outs since Week 1 which coincidentally coincides with their last win. The Steelers offense is likely to be back at full health moving forward and will have the opportunity to play complimentary football to a dominant defense.

The Steelers play four of their next five games at home and also play a division rival in the Cleveland Browns. The magic win number for the Steelers to get back to the top of the north is five. If they can win 5 of their next 6 games, then they will be at 6-4 and will back on top of the AFC North going into December. They have two excellent matchups at home in November against the underperforming Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions that they must win. They also have to win this weekend against an injury ridden Denver Broncos squad. This leaves us with the aforementioned Browns, Sunday Night Football against the Seattle Seahawks and a trip out west to play the Los Angeles Chargers.

Now, you don’t have to be a math wiz to figure out they have to steal two games that they will likely be favored to lose. I expect them to bring their “A-game” when they travel to Cleveland and revenge their ugly loss in the 2020 AFC Wild Card round. The Steelers have a record over .700% in primetime games under Tomlin at home and should be able to create pressure on Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson with a great pass rush and a hostile environment. If they can win the turnover margin, then they stand a great chance to steal a game at home on Sunday night and hit our magic number of five. This is clearly asking a lot of a team that hasn’t performed well all season, but as I previously mentioned, if they just can rely on their defense and protect the ball, then they will likely come out of most stadiums ahead.

2. AFC North Regression​

Outside of the Steelers, the AFC North is currently a combined 9-3. It’s highly unlikely that the Steelers AFC North cohorts are able to maintain a .750 win percentage over the next two months, especially with injuries and increases in schedule difficulty. Below I will predict the best case scenario for Pittsburgh for each AFC North team.

Browns: This is the first team I expect to take a significant step back in the coming months. They have taken advantage of inferior opponents and have won games they were supposed to win. To put it in perspective, the Steelers have played four games against opponents who have a combined record of 12-4. The Browns opponents have a combined record of 5-11. Yes, I understand they have still won, but most of their wins have looked ugly. Quarterback Baker Mayfield has also admitted he’s dealing with an injury to his non-throwing shoulder that will likely nag him the entire season, so there’s a good chance he misses some time if he’s unable to properly manage the injury. The Browns have to travel to the Chargers this week and then have to play the Arizona Cardinals and Broncos in back-to-back weeks which is one of the toughest stretches in the NFL. The Browns are likely to lose four of their next six which would put them at 5-5 and a game behind the Steelers at Thanksgiving.

Bengals: The Bengals have perhaps been the biggest surprise in the NFL over the first month of the season. To their credit, they have improved a lot of the past few years, but they still are a team that will lose a lot of games over the course of an 18-week season. The Bengals schedule is not nearly as difficult as the rest of the AFC North over the next two months, but there are a lot of games that one key mistake could lose them the game. The Bengals are historically bad in one-score games (2-11-1 under head coach Zac Taylor) and only need a few plays to go against them in order for them to drop below .500% by Thanksgiving. If the Bengals win more than two games over the next two months, then you can say I’m wrong, but I don’t see them being better than 5-5 by the time they meet the Steelers on November 28th.

Ravens: The Ravens are the only team that may stand in the way of the Steelers reclaiming first place. The Ravens have stolen two games against the Kansas City Chiefs and Lions that they should’ve lost, so let’s hope the pendulum swings in their opponents favor and they drop some games they should win. The Steelers don’t get to play the Ravens until December, so there’s no way the Steelers can get two games back on the Ravens. They’re going to have to rely on the rest of the NFL to help them out, which is a tall task. The Ravens are likely to be favored in every game they play over the next two months, but all it takes is one key injury and the Steelers could leap frog them in the standings and be looking down on everyone going into the final stretch of the 2021 season.

It’s clear that this is going to be an upward battle, but crazier things have happened. It all starts upfront with the Steelers winning and that’s not going to be possible if the offense can’t protect the ball. If the offensive line can begin to gel and Ben Roethlisberger can protect the football and let his skill guys be playmakers, then they can easily win five of the next six games. However, if the offense can’t figure it out and continues to put the defense in bad positions, then it won’t matter if the rest of the AFC North performs how we outlined above. One thing we know is that the Steelers have a Hall of Fame quarterback and coach, so if the stars align, then there’s every reason to believe this team will be in first place by Thanksgiving.

Do yinz think the Steelers have what it takes to get back to first place in the division? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

#1 should be "Miracle". ;)
The only miracle I see is Tomlin working some magic like in 2019 to finish 9-8 and keep that precious "No losing seasons" record intact.

Winning can cure all problems !!!!

It would be a miracle to win 5 of the next six, The team has been improving slightly as games go on. The run game had an upward arrow compared to weeks before. So maybe they can keep progressing.

HELL they may even work in an audible or two,............. you know to surprise the opponent...............

I see most likely 3-3 0r 4-2 over the next six.

Salute the nation

Winning can cure all problems !!!!

It would be a miracle to win 5 of the next six, The team has been improving slightly as games go on. The run game had an upward arrow compared to weeks before. So maybe they can keep progressing.

HELL they may even work in an audible or two,............. you know to surprise the opponent...............

I see most likely 3-3 0r 4-2 over the next six.

Salute the nation
I wasn't able to catch the game last week, so I wasn't able to gauge how they looked compared to the previous games. Good to hear you saw improvement in the run game.

It'll be interesting to see how they come out of the gate on Sunday. If they're flat, the season is probably DOA. If they come out fighting, there's hope. With the exception of last year, it's not like we're a team that starts fast but I think the deck is stacked against them this year and what we've seen is what we're going to get. Hope I'm wrong and they find lightning in a bottle somehow.

I will be making chili on Sunday and am going to put some of the first week chili in it that I froze, so maybe we can at least get some chili mojo back.

I'm pretty sure that if they can accumulate more points than their opponent by the end of the fourth quarter, they'll be fine.

Unleash hell. That will work, but good coaching and better players will be need.

if they just can rely on their defense and protect the ball, then they will likely come out of most stadiums ahead.
Tomlinisms are rubbing off on you, I see.

I think that the Steelers have a decent chance of being in first place by Thanksgiving...as long as the Browns', Bengals', and Ravens' team planes all happen to fall out of the sky in the next week or so.

This is something new for the Steeler faithful, No one has an answer except get rid of Ben. I for sure hate to admit it but in the next few games do we really see a victory especially the way the complete team is playing. There is not one aspect of the Steelers that has improved. Hell we still get the same speech by Tomlin that even has not improved.

ill drink your koolaide! it is possible we've turned it around before what's more WE expect to turn it around but will it stay turned around? I see the potential of this line...its big physical and can move but how about some plays that play to that strength? we need more cowbell! i.e. the fullback! and we to need to slam his *** into these blitzers, smaller de's and tackles T'ing off on ben and Harris. cannonball him through old school and watch them get out of the way! both Noll and cowher knew when it was tight to "tighten the chinstraps" do they say that in the 'burgh anymore? when I was growing up there moms told their kids "stopping whining and tighten you chinstrap" your dad would say pull up your jockstrap! watching this generation of steeler football that sure as hell doesn't look to be the case anymore

Okay, so Baker, Lamar, and Joe get on an airplane one dark and stormy night in Clear Lake, Iowa...

What is yinz menu up there for that?
This year I get to totally relax as I am an overnight guest and my stepson's girlfriend who usually helps cook with me wants to tackle everything on her own this year.
Menu for lunch and throughout the day is butternut squash soup and an arrangement of charcuterie boards. Dinner consists of roast turkey, ham and seasonal veggies.

Over the years I think much of the same things most American's enjoy on Thanksgiving .... turkey, honey/mustard glazed ham, mashed potatoes or a nice roasted potato, peas, corn, carrots, gravy, candied sweet potato, pumpkin pie or apple crumble .... cranberries etc.

My birthday was on the 6th and my stepson's is on the 13th OCTOBER .... so we kind of celebrate all those things together

Being the cook in my house
Here is a photo of what I created for my birthday
Honey glazed smoked duck breast with a twist of orange
On a bed of spinach and tender red lettuce
Topped with gouda cheese, roasted almonds & edamame, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds
Finished with a raspberry vinagrette

tasted pretty good

Attachments

• received_4470411536381625.jpeg
    received_4470411536381625.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 7
This year I get to totally relax as I am an overnight guest and my stepson's girlfriend who usually helps cook with me wants to tackle everything on her own this year.
Menu for lunch and throughout the day is butternut squash soup and an arrangement of charcuterie boards. Dinner consists of roast turkey, ham and seasonal veggies.

Over the years I think much of the same things most American's enjoy on Thanksgiving .... turkey, honey/mustard glazed ham, mashed potatoes or a nice roasted potato, peas, corn, carrots, gravy, candied sweet potato, pumpkin pie or apple crumble .... cranberries etc.

My birthday was on the 6th and my stepson's is on the 13th OCTOBER .... so we kind of celebrate all those things together

Being the cook in my house
Here is a photo of what I created for my birthday
Honey glazed smoked duck breast with a twist of orange
On a bed of spinach and tender red lettuce
Topped with gouda cheese, roasted almonds & edamame, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds
Finished with a raspberry vinagrette

tasted pretty good
Wanna fly on over to Albuquerque and lend me your culinary skills?

As John Madden once famously said, you need to score more points than the other team.