• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hypothetically Only One Can Get into the Hall of Fame: Antonio Brown or Hines Ward?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers franchise have 29 individuals enshrined in Canton as members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The storied organization has been the home to many great players, coaches and scouts for years. While we know Maurkice Pouncey and recently retired, Ben Roethlisberger are on their way to being inducted, a couple other names, wide receivers in particular, are going to have their chance, but may not get in.

Antonio Brown and Hines Ward are the two best receivers for the Steelers in the 21st century and maybe all time. While most of Steeler Nation holds somewhat of a grudge against Brown and an affinity for Ward, the fan base isn’t voting for who gets in.

Let’s play a game and assume only one of these star wideouts can be inducted in Canton one day. Who deserves it more, bias aside?

Let’s start with Ward’s case vs Brown.

Ward is the all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns in Steeler history. His 10,000 receptions are good for 14th in NFL history. While a receiver’s blocking tendencies aren’t necessarily weighed statistically, #86 was the best blocking wideout of his generation and that should hold weight in his candidacy. Ward was also the MVP of Super Bowl XL. The biggest downfall here are his personal accolades. He played 13 seasons and was only elected to four Pro Bowls while receiving second team All-Pro honors three times. Hall of Fame voting tends to sincerely value how players were honored during their career. Ward is up against guys like Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith, and Tory Holt. None of those guys played as many career games as Ward and all have similar or better stats and accolades than him. One of the biggest edges he has are Super Bowl victories. That group combined only has three compared to Ward’s two plus an MVP to go along with it. He beats Brown in that category as well.

Speaking of the playoffs, Ward played in 18 games catching 88 passes for 1,181 yards and 10 touchdowns. His 1,181 yards are good for ninth all-time. Four of the eight in front of him are already Hall of Famers and the other four are Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce and Wayne. Ward’s case is strong, but he faces fierce competition before he can get past the semi-finalist stage.

Brown is even more intriguing than Ward. He is second all-time in the three major categories Ward leads in Steelers history. Throughout his career, however, he has more receiving yards than Ward and is only 72 receptions behind him. Brown put up these numbers in 71 less career games. The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver was able to get his Super Bowl ring in 2021. He pairs that with seven Pro Bowl trips and four first team All-Pro selections. Brown is just two touchdowns shy of tying Ward’s 85 regular season touchdowns.

Brown has 59 receptions, 918 yards and five touchdowns in 13 career postseason games. Ward gets the advantage here, but he did play in five more playoff games. This in a way, is a coin flip right now. This could change depending on if Brown gets another shot in the NFL , continues to play and at an elite level.

With that said, Brown’s off the field antics and constant drama certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth. We have seen throughout professional sports recently that voters in these situations are valuing what happens off the field and in the locker room. Just statistics and accolades aren’t good enough to get you inducted into the Hall of Fame. Brown is a heck of a talent, but has he made too many enemies to warrant an induction? Certainly, that is my train of thought.

Ward is my favorite Steeler ever to wear the black and gold. I would love to see him get in instead of Brown. If only one can get in, let’s hope #86 gets the nod. I think, as of now, he deserves it more. Both face an uphill battle, but for different reasons. Ward doesn’t have the personal recognition typical of a Hall of Famer, but has the statistics, Super Bowls and was certainly the best blocking wide receiver of his time. Brown has the numbers, accolades, and Super Bowl, but has he damaged his reputation to the point where if I were a voter, I am giving the nod to Ward if I had to choose between the two.

If you could only choose one, who are you electing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Now that’s interesting. This is gonna get good. Berm, get the Tito’s stocked up!

I’m torn. Brown was arguably leagues best for multiple years. Hines put up stats in a run first offense and did something NO receivers want to do. Block. I can’t choose. My heart goes with Ward so I guess that’s my vote.

Easy for me one was a MVP of a SB the other the MVP of being a distraction to a team trying to get to a SB. One was a devastating blocker for his team the other a devastating blocker of team unity.

Ward. It's not even close. When they change the rules of the game because you're a wide receiver ******* up defensive players. You are THE MAN!

Brown was well on his way to being a top 5 receiver all time and goat ****** that into oblivion.

It’s sad that the only thing people seem to remember are numbers.
I wish the HOF voters didn’t focus on numbers so much/only.
I assume ( I know, I know ) most of us watched all/most of the games they each played in.
Foremost, you’re talking two different eras, two different offensive philosophies, and two different supporting casts.
In each of the above mentioned, Brown had the clear advantage.
Brown was the better wide receiver.
Ward was the better football player.
Brown did one thing better than Hines.
Hines did everything else better.
The article said Hines was the best blocker of his era. This is false.
Hines was the best blocking wide receiver EVER, and they changed the rules because of him.
Hines is literally a game changer.

And since numbers matter, the only numbers that matter are 2 and 0.
That’s the trophy count.
In my humble opinion, one is CLEARLY a HOFer.
The other is questionable at best.

And since numbers matter, the only numbers that matter are 2 and 0.
That’s the trophy count.
In my humble opinion, one is CLEARLY a HOFer.
The other is questionable at best.
It's actually 2 and 1. Brown got a ring last year.

To play the opposite, brown put together a stretch of five sessions no one else in nfl history did.

Ward. Brown was well on his way to being a top 3 receiver of all-time and then.....

If the HOF had any balls, behavior should factor into things. Brown had some great years but he is a cancer. Ward is a hard worker who changed how the position is played and came to work with a smile on his face every day. I'd personally take Ward but I know Brown will get in and Ward probably won't.

If the HOF had any balls, behavior should factor into things. Brown had some great years but he is a cancer. Ward is a hard worker who changed how the position is played and came to work with a smile on his face every day. I'd personally take Ward but I know Brown will get in and Ward probably won't.
Yeah they don't have any....

Brown was the best WR to ever play for this team in my opinion. But it's hard to win a championship with a guy like that. They won two with Ward. I agree with Brown wr. Ward football player. My vote goes Ward.

As a pure WR its not even close. Brown could have been one of the greatest ever. Ward was a pure football player who wasn't the most physically gifted but made it work. I would definitely put ward in over brown. He had good numbers in our running offense, was tough, best blocking wr, good leader, and had longevity. Brown had an amazing but short career and with all his outside troubles i don't see him getting in

It's actually 2 and 1. Brown got a ring last year.
Brown’s ring was with Tampa, not the Steelers, but you are correct and I should have clarified.

It isn’t even close…..Hines was just as excited blowing someone up on a block as scoring a TD. Never, to my knowledge, pouted about targets and was happy for teammates scoring TDs as any other player.

No denying AB could catch, run and score TDs….but he wasn’t a teammate.

Both guys were impressive on the field. Ward brought sense toughness that is becoming extinct at WR. I'd go with Ward the the playoffs. AB in fantasy. Ward is a little better.

Know the topic, HOF doesn’t give a flip about Fantasy Football……………yet.

Brown’s ring was with Tampa, not the Steelers, but you are correct and I should have clarified.
But this is a HOF discussion, not only one can go in as a steelers player

I am personally of the mind that AB and players like him shouldn't be allowed in the HOF. I also think they put to many people in there and its become the Hall of very good at this point.

They have footballs

Did Hines have a HOF qaurterback throwing to him his entire career here ?

Maybe the QUESTION comes down to who you would want on your team?

I'd take Hines Ward because not only could you count on him on the field of play but also in the locker room as well. We talk about "character" players and Hines most certainly would be in that catagory. Hines pulled teams together rather than apart.

Did he attack BEN on his toughness..... YES but he also lived his toughness b y backing it up.

Did he have Contract dispute,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YES but he also didn't exort money from the team

Did he ever abandon the team / game................... NO, he played / attended all games & practices hard, I remember once in training camp a DB complained and Cowher said this is football.

Back to the "character" players,........... this current team could use more of them.!

Salute the nation