• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

I thought black lives matter?

I'll just pile on and say I've never heard of "crabs in a barrel." Fish and apples, yes (though never both in the same barrel). Crabs, no.

Perhaps I did. The OP made no insinuation about Jesse or Al getting involved because of black on black crime. I guess he'll have to explain because I'm certainly looking at the glass as "half empty"...

Charlie, I'll do no such thing. We're all adults here - and I'm certain that you've heard the term used at some point in your lifetime. I'm certain that you can Google the phrase and read the results that are yielded...

Until I you fully explain the OP - this is my stance.
I can't make sense of what you are saying.

I'm still at a loss after lookin' this phrase up...

crabs-in-a-barrel
A syndrome where a group of like situated people hurt those in their community attempting to get ahead.

Often this is applied to people in an impoverished community where one person is starting to get ahead. The collective community becomes jealous or filled with a sense of self-loathing, so they find a way to pull that person back down to the community's level.
When harvesting crab, the crab as a group will pull down any crab that starts to climb out of the barrel in an attempt to be the first out of the barrel that holds them in, hence crabs-in-a-barrel.

This term is broadly associated with short-sighted, non-constructive thinking rather than a unified, long-term, constructive mentality. It is also often used colloquially in reference to individuals or communities attempting to improve their socioeconomic situations, but kept from doing so by others attempting to ride upon their coat-tails or those who simply resent their success.[4]

I don't see this at all Kev, all I saw ( in both scenarios ) was stupidity. The shooting into the house and the luring of the people with easy cash were not people tryin' to get out of anything, ahead of anybody or because of anybody else s success.

Thanks Uncle Chip, and please, my OP was not intended to point fingers or even provide an excuse for either scenario (this is for you to Charlie).

I guess the term is not as "used" as I assumed. But I digress...

My analogy was simple - and I used it solely based on the OP and the facts from the story - the 19 year old victim, found herself in this predicament because of her decisions in life, which, more than likely, have been altered by her peers and possibly family. Unfortunately, she didn't grow up in a community where "gangs are not relevant". Unfortunately, she made a decision and conceived a child at an early age - cutting short her "young adulthood" and thrusting her into adulthood before she was ready. Unfortunately, her decision to go to the party ended fatally.

Most people that I know what to "keep up w/ the Jones'" and they want better for their families (seems like that was the mom's intentions, but, that's strictly an assumption) and this results in ensuring your child attends school and produces good grades so that said child can go to college/university and become an upstanding member of society. This is the dream, right? Well, imagine living impoverished - imagine having responsibilities that you aren't ready for - imagine (and I say this with a bit of sarcasm) not having great credit scores...

With the picture painted above - there are numerous individuals and families "trying to move on up" but circumstance(s) pull them back down. You're absolutely right, her decision was wrong and the results were deadly. I just wonder if the title of the thread would have been the same if the same events took place in a mid-class neighborhood? Upper-class neighborhood?

I don't think so...

Have you ever heard the expression "Not white enough"? Nope. there is a reason why "not black enough" is used. It's because black society in general accepts the gang and thug culture. They'd rather be "real" than have a black person "be too white". That's why gang bangers and rappers are glorified while people like Clarence Thomas are called "uncle Tom".

For the most part white culture doesn't do that.

Last edited: