• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If it happens. who do you want as new HC?

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin has lost the team. It is clear. Maybe the schtick just gets old over the years. If this team loses out, I cant see how he is brought back.

who do you want to replace? I do not follow the NFL near as much as I used to. I do not have a guy I would want to replace. curious to what you all think? Offensive guy? defensive guy?

I would still love to see Gruden as an OC or ever HC
But with the Rooney factor that is never going to happen

The guy I wanted to replace him a few years ago ended up in Minnesota.

In this scenario, here are some of the coaches I'd interview.

Brian Flores. He's a good coach and bring a completely different style than what the Steelers are used to.

Ben Johnson. Seems to have a strong grasp on QB play and helped build the Detroit offense into one of the most exciting units in the NFL.

Frank Smith. I like that he's working under Mike McDaniel and has helped develop Tua. He's worked as an OC, TE coach, OL/run game coordinator in the NFL, so he has experience working with the trenches.

Jim Harbaugh. I know a lot of people don't like him, I don't care. I'm looking for a quick turnaround and for all I care he coaches for 4-5 years before moving on. Had double digit wins in 3 of 4 seasons and won at least 1 playoff game in all three appearances. 5-3 career playoff record.

Ejiro Evero. I am a fan of coaches who've worked under good coaches. Evero has worked with Jim Harbaugh, McCarthy, McVay, and Reich.

Dear Santa/Deuce,

I want a structure where the HC has an accountable OC and DC, both with significant detail and schematic expertise, and a team commitment to excellence in situational football.

With the annual goal of winning the SB, full stop.

And a franchise QB with no middling $10M #2 QB sucking cap space from other positions of need. And an ILB to replace Farrior.

And a real ST coach.

I will leave the bourbon in the usual spot.

I want a Coach who values the yearly goal of winning a SB.

Salute the n ation
I would settle for a coach that values winning the NEXT game..... be it a 2-10 team or a 10-2 team ..............we dictate the storyline........ the superbowl will take care of itself that way

I would settle for a coach that values winning the NEXT game..... be it a 2-10 team or a 10-2 team ..............we dictate the storyline........ the superbowl will take care of itself that way
I want one with big picture comprehension… **** winning one game at all costs… thats Tomlin… he keeps guys in blowouts hoping for some miracle comeback even when its physically impossible… or in the ever rare situation where we are up huge..

I want a guy who understands the importance of getting a young guy up to speed early rather than forcefeed snaps to a journeyman vet because he will give us a slight edge right now..

If we are 8-8 and out of tge playoff picture in week 17, play every damn young player we have to see what they have for next year… **** adding wear and tear to the stars and vets we have to win a meaningless game to keep a meaningless stat going

First and foremost, the new HC must accept that he will have limited say in personnel decisions. His opinion will be added to the process but ultimately, he will have zero power in that area.

I still prefer defensive coaches as HC. You can always just hire a good OC. Offensive coaches think of scoring points above all. Defensive coaches tend to think more in terms of the goal of winning games.

First and foremost, the new HC must accept that he will have limited say in personnel decisions. His opinion will be added to the process but ultimately, he will have zero power in that area.

I still prefer defensive coaches as HC. You can always just hire a good OC. Offensive coaches think of scoring points above all. Defensive coaches tend to think more in terms of the goal of winning games.
sorry, but i can't jive with this, clearly the trend has become a full-blown pattern at this point; if you want any discernible long-term success in this league, you better have a head coach with an offensive background, and an offensive mind.

IMO, with the right delegation of responsibilities, the HC shouldn't matter. We have a great GM and personnel guy, IMO. Let Andy and Omar choose the right OL coach and maybe we can get Munchak or "poach" Jeff Stoutland from Philly (maybe they have some sway. Let the OL coach teach and evaluate our players strengths and design a run game and passing protection plan around it. Then, hire a Run Game Coordinator and a passing game coordinator to study what successful teams do and replicate it within our structure. Then hire Hines Ward to coach up the "head cases" we have at the WR position to turn them into animals whether they are blocking or trying to get open. They will learn to take pride in their craft. Do the same with a TE coach like Heath, who can teach them the same things at the TE position.
NOW, we can hire away a Bobby Slowik as an OC/Assistant HC. Offense done.

Hire a defensive minded coach with "pedigree" (to use a Tomlinism). Maybe we could get Flores, Bob Stoops or even Butler to come back, but if not, we go young and get a guy who has a history of overachieving. Let him choose his staff so they will be loyal to him and not the HC.

Now we can hire a HC that is just a guy that doesn't "meddle" in everyone else's job. Just a manager with a talent (and an edict from his boss) to let his coaches do their job.
He gets all the credit and is therefore replaceable.

Switzer, like Tomlin, took someone else's team to the big game a few times before he actually thought it was his team. Tomlin's ride is over, trade him or take away his power to meddle and we could be just fine.

Slowik from texans or the oc from Philly.

sorry, but i can't jive with this, clearly the trend has become a full-blown pattern at this point; if you want any discernible long-term success in this league, you better have a head coach with an offensive background, and an offensive mind.
Agreed. The league has trended/evolved to an offensive game now and will be the norm for the foreseeable future. CTE etc has changed the strategy of the game. The Steelers haven’t adjusted to the current trends.

Dan Lanning, current HC at Oregon
I’m not too quick to jump on guys from Saban’s or Kirby’s tree.
They’re college rank guys.

What Saban and Kirby do at the college level is insane but it never works in the pro’s.
At least at a prominent level. Josh McDaniels and Pat Shurmur come to mind with that tree.

Agreed. The league has trended/evolved to an offensive game now and will be the norm for the foreseeable future. CTE etc has changed the strategy of the game. The Steelers haven’t adjusted to the current trends.
I don't want to sound like an insensitive prick, bet there are all kinds of jobs that are way more dangerous than playing in the NFL and for a **** ton less money. These players are millionaires and for what playing a kids game, if you don't want to take the risk don't play.

I can understand and support that, get your free college education and move on with your life's work but as a fan we shouldn't have to endure a watered down version of the sport we love while also being bent over hard financially so the league and players get richer for a inferior product.

The penalty's in general are killing the game because of the rules to "protect the players" but to have to watch the flags fly on a judgment call of "he tackled to hard" is getting old.

Maybe I'm just getting old but between the **** that we are dealing with as Steeler fans and the fact that the game in and of itself is a week and a half away from being two hand touch (although that might be to rough for some of today's players} My interest in the game is about 25% of what it use to be. I spent the better half of this seasons games playing with my grandkids and as much as I hate to say it I would have never done that ten years ago. My kids even make comments about how much I have changed when it comes to the games.