• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If it happens. who do you want as new HC?

I don't want to sound like an insensitive prick, bet there are all kinds of jobs that are way more dangerous than playing in the NFL and for a **** ton less money. These players are millionaires and for what playing a kids game, if you don't want to take the risk don't play.

I can understand and support that, get your free college education and move on with your life's work but as a fan we shouldn't have to endure a watered down version of the sport we love while also being bent over hard financially so the league and players get richer for a inferior product.

The penalty's in general are killing the game because of the rules to "protect the players" but to have to watch the flags fly on a judgment call of "he tackled to hard" is getting old.

Maybe I'm just getting old but between the **** that we are dealing with as Steeler fans and the fact that the game in and of itself is a week and a half away from being two hand touch (although that might be to rough for some of today's players} My interest in the game is about 25% of what it use to be. I spent the better half of this seasons games playing with my grandkids and as much as I hate to say it I would have never done that ten years ago. My kids even make comments about how much I have changed when it comes to the games.
There are a lot of jobs which deserve better pay than a kids sport.

The nfl is all marketing. It’s a corporation which relies on commercials and a selling point to the casual fan.

I watch out of “entertainment”. I’m not an emotional fan much anymore. I feel more connected to UGA cause I graduated there. Aside, I don’t dwell on millionaires wins or losses. Like you said it’s a game. The product caters to the current generation. That’s just an acceptance by me

I don't want to sound like an insensitive prick, bet there are all kinds of jobs that are way more dangerous than playing in the NFL and for a **** ton less money. These players are millionaires and for what playing a kids game, if you don't want to take the risk don't play.
I sure agree with you on this one.
I’ve often laughed when people talk about how dangerous it is for an NFL player,like other jobs aren’t.

I’m in construction. As if people don’t get sprained ankles,broken bones, knees and backs that break down for life.
Worse of course,spinal injuries and many,many deaths on the dirt road construction playing field. As if a heart attack or stroke doesn’t happen at a construction site like it did in Cincinnati last year.

Sure the NFL is dangerous in some ways.
Some of these guys should come with me one day. Set up scaffolding,climb up roofs with heavy material,and build chimney’s while being on 3 planks 30+ ft in the air.
Look around on residential houses at some chimneys with steep roofs. Sometimes I even wonder how the hell we even got up there,never mind all the material and actually having to work on it.
That’s just one trade. Believe me there are many,many others.

First and foremost, the new HC must accept that he will have limited say in personnel decisions. His opinion will be added to the process but ultimately, he will have zero power in that area.

I still prefer defensive coaches as HC. You can always just hire a good OC. Offensive coaches think of scoring points above all. Defensive coaches tend to think more in terms of the goal of winning games.
That only works if the new HC believes in the same thing. I want a new HC that while they may not be the top OC or DC available, they have the actual X & O knowledge and philosophy of going out and WINNING games. I am tired of all the trying to NOT lose BS. Hell, Cowher even did that at times.

In this scenario, here are some of the coaches I'd interview.

Brian Flores. He's a good coach and bring a completely different style than what the Steelers are used to.

Ben Johnson. Seems to have a strong grasp on QB play and helped build the Detroit offense into one of the most exciting units in the NFL.

Frank Smith. I like that he's working under Mike McDaniel and has helped develop Tua. He's worked as an OC, TE coach, OL/run game coordinator in the NFL, so he has experience working with the trenches.

Jim Harbaugh. I know a lot of people don't like him, I don't care. I'm looking for a quick turnaround and for all I care he coaches for 4-5 years before moving on. Had double digit wins in 3 of 4 seasons and won at least 1 playoff game in all three appearances. 5-3 career playoff record.

Ejiro Evero. I am a fan of coaches who've worked under good coaches. Evero has worked with Jim Harbaugh, McCarthy, McVay, and Reich.
I'd take Hairball in a heartbeat. I don't think many have his desire to win.

I sure agree with you on this one.
I’ve often laughed when people talk about how dangerous it is for an NFL player,like other jobs aren’t.

I’m in construction. As if people don’t get sprained ankles,broken bones, knees and backs that break down for life.
Worse of course,spinal injuries and many,many deaths on the dirt road construction playing field. As if a heart attack or stroke doesn’t happen at a construction site like it did in Cincinnati last year.

Sure the NFL is dangerous in some ways.
Some of these guys should come with me one day. Set up scaffolding,climb up roofs with heavy material,and build chimney’s while being on 3 planks 30+ ft in the air.
Look around on residential houses at some chimneys with steep roofs. Sometimes I even wonder how the hell we even got up there,never mind all the material and actually having to work on it.
That’s just one trade. Believe me there are many,many others.
Yessir. The only difference is your skills are not marketed to the masses like the nfl.

Jon Gruden. Won’t happpen though.

Bobby Slowik. What he has done with the offense in Houston is remarkable. A similar system would make Pickett look like Purdy. They got guys running free all over the place, and they are doing it with rookies and nobodies. Just give me some offense.

sorry, but i can't jive with this, clearly the trend has become a full-blown pattern at this point; if you want any discernible long-term success in this league, you better have a head coach with an offensive background, and an offensive mind.

Demeco Ryans is doing pretty well in Houston. Just hire a good OC and don't handcuff him.

Defense does not control the ball. I believe that alone gives defensive coaches a much better overall view of the game. Offensive coaches tend to just worry about scoring points.

I can understand and support that, get your free college education and move on with your life's work but as a fan we shouldn't have to endure a watered down version of the sport we love while also being bent over hard financially so the league and players get richer for a inferior product.

The penalty's in general are killing the game because of the rules to "protect the players" but to have to watch the flags fly on a judgment call of "he tackled to hard" is getting old.

Maybe I'm just getting old but between the **** that we are dealing with as Steeler fans and the fact that the game in and of itself is a week and a half away from being two hand touch (although that might be to rough for some of today's players} My interest in the game is about 25% of what it use to be. I spent the better half of this seasons games playing with my grandkids and as much as I hate to say it I would have never done that ten years ago. My kids even make comments about how much I have changed when it comes to the games.

Agree except for one minor detail. Football is a mans game imo.

When grown men play baseball, basketball or soccer they are playing kids game.
But when a kid plays football, he is playing a mans game.

I don't watch baseball basketball or that god forsaken sport of soccer. No interest.
If any sport is deserving of overpaid players it's football.

Head coach. Not sure yet. Though I really think for position coaches we need an old player or two like Hines or Ben. We really need someone back to get the old culture back in the locker room.

KLiff if ur looking to fix Kenny Flores if ur looking for a mined D, with an aggressive attitude. Harbaugh some reports are saying he is working on an extension to stay in Ann Arbor but, if he wins the Title his main goal is complete, he would bring Stability and a similar type of style to Cohwer Heavy Run, and a very aggressive Defense. If he gets UM a ring I go after him and I also poach UM OC/OL Coach he has turned mostly 2.5-3 star recruits into powerful maulers that just drive you into Submission.

KLiff if ur looking to fix Kenny Flores if ur looking for a mined D, with an aggressive attitude. Harbaugh some reports are saying he is working on an extension to stay in Ann Arbor but, if he wins the Title his main goal is complete, he would bring Stability and a similar type of style to Cohwer Heavy Run, and a very aggressive Defense. If he gets UM a ring I go after him and I also poach UM OC/OL Coach he has turned mostly 2.5-3 star recruits into powerful maulers that just drive you into Submission.
Time to bust out the khakis in solidarity?

Demeco Ryans is doing pretty well in Houston. Just hire a good OC and don't handcuff him.

Defense does not control the ball. I believe that alone gives defensive coaches a much better overall view of the game. Offensive coaches tend to just worry about scoring points.
I'm not saying it's impossible, just that the observable pattern would indicate that the chances for long-term success are significantly reduced

I earlier posted his OC as well. I would take both of them as a package no problem.

For those suggestions of Flores as DC......that ship has sailed. He will be a HC next. I still can’t believe we didn’t go all in making sure he became our DC,with the purpose of naming him HC after a couple years.

Last edited:
somebody that is competent and not hired using the Rooney Rule......... Go woke Go broke....

This will change your mind Tape. I can't stand Cowherd most times, but he is SPOT ON with this one.