• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

IF the season…………….. ended NOW

A few more: Marino. Dan Fouts, Warren Moon.
To be fair this topic is highly subjective. I really hadn't considered Fouts or Marino having wasted careers.. I was talking about players stuck on perennial bad teams all their careers. Marino and Fouts were on some pretty good teams....appeared in playoffs/championship games...

Highly subjective... Anthony Munoz played on a bad Bungle team most of his career, but he did make the playoffs 4 times... twice reaching the Super Bowl...both losses.
Do we count him? I don't know. It depends on your perspective.

Detroit's WR Calvin Johnson was another great player stuck on a perennial loser his entire career. Keyshawn Johnson played most of his career on a terrible Jets team.
So far Saquon Barkley is heading that way.
Philip Rivers another one.

Cam Heyward has been stuck in perennial mediocrity.

To be fair this topic is highly subjective. I really hadn't considered Fouts or Marino having wasted careers.. I was talking about players stuck on perennial bad teams all their careers. Marino and Fouts were on some pretty good teams....appeared in playoffs/championship games...

Highly subjective... Anthony Munoz played on a bad Bungle team most of his career, but he did make the playoffs 4 times... twice reaching the Super Bowl...both losses.
Do we count him? I don't know. It depends on your perspective.

Detroit's WR Calvin Johnson was another great player stuck on a perennial loser his entire career. Keyshawn Johnson played most of his career on a terrible Jets team.
So far Saquon Barkley is heading that way.
Philip Rivers another one.

Cam Heyward has been stuck in perennial mediocrity.
You're gonna mention Calvin Johnson but leave out Barry Sanders, maybe the best RB to ever put on cleats who was in what, one playoff game? Fouts was up there with Marino as the best pure passer in NFL history. Moon too. But, it's subjective as you say.

You're gonna mention Calvin Johnson but leave out Barry Sanders, maybe the best RB to ever put on cleats who was in what, one playoff game? Fouts was up there with Marino as the best pure passer in NFL history. Moon too. But, it's subjective as you say.
I didn't leave out Barry Sanders. Go back a few posts to #12, he and Joe Thomas were on my original list.

I didn't leave out Barry Sanders. Go back a few posts to #12, he and Joe Thomas were on my original list.

Joe Thomas’ talking head career only lasted about two moments……………

SPECIAL NOTE: That was about two moments too long.

Salute the nation

Joe Thomas’ talking head career only lasted about two moments……………

SPECIAL NOTE: That was about two moments too long.
I honestly don't recall anything being so adhorant about his media gig; what was so wrong with him? Serious question.

He didn’t say nice things about the Steelers.

Not just that, he just wasn’t smooth or talking head material. Couldn’t flow and was boring, thus the SHORT term.

Salute the nation

Big Bens career although a Hall of fame one was wasted the last multiple years
AMEN to that!

TJ WATTS career is being similarly wasted and he is a HOF player as well. If Warren Sapp is in, WATT should be a lock.

Salute the nation

I've never known a fan who doesn't care if his team won. Hmmm.
Well, now you have. I've been a fan since 1978 and I've suffered through the 80's watching bubby and Malone toss picks and then the glory years with Bill Cowher. I was stationed in England for four years and my young wife and I would sleep on the sofa bed and wake up at 1am to watch Monday night football and get home sick when the overhead shot of the city would hit our far away screen. Our Children were given toddler towels on their 1st birthday and my son had a Sears portrait studio session in his Big Ben jersey.

But between Mike Tomlin and his propensity to be average, Steeler players caring more about their social media brand than the team, and the NFL in general creating an unwatchable game - remember, my generation could cheer when a WR caught a ball...We didn't have to wait for a booth review, experts in NY debating the catch, and watching 4 angles of the catch with baited breath before being able to cheer or watch in disbelief as the refs get it wrong anyway because they didn't have the angels that you were seeing at home

My hope is that someday I'll enjoy a Steelers game again.

Well, now you have. I've been a fan since 1978 and I've suffered through the 80's watching bubby and Malone toss picks and then the glory years with Bill Cowher. I was stationed in England for four years and my young wife and I would sleep on the sofa bed and wake up at 1am to watch Monday night football and get home sick when the overhead shot of the city would hit our far away screen. Our Children were given toddler towels on their 1st birthday and my son had a Sears portrait studio session in his Big Ben jersey.

But between Mike Tomlin and his propensity to be average, Steeler players caring more about their social media brand than the team, and the NFL in general creating an unwatchable game - remember, my generation could cheer when a WR caught a ball...We didn't have to wait for a booth review, experts in NY debating the catch, and watching 4 angles of the catch with baited breath before being able to cheer or watch in disbelief as the refs get it wrong anyway because they didn't have the angels that you were seeing at home

Greed has ruined many pleasurable things in life. I don't think we will see a return to form. The human race has less empathy and more me selfish mentality than ever before. Noble traits are valued less and there is just more mememe and less goodness and wholesome qualities from people.

We have to bring some of that back outside of football to see a change within the game.

I still enjoy the games, but I find it exponentially less difficult to go do something else. Used to be I couldn't miss the game. Now, If I miss part or all of the game, it barely registers. Even now, if I'm watching the game and the Steelers are stinking up the joint, I find myself chuckling rather than getting pissed. It's weird. Can't pinpoint when that changed for me, but it did.

Greed has ruined many pleasurable things in life. I don't think we will see a return to form. The human race has less empathy and more me selfish mentality than ever before. Noble traits are valued less and there is just more mememe and less goodness and wholesome qualities from people.

We have to bring some of that back outside of football to see a change within the game.

NOT looking for ”pat on the back” but last night I delivered a load of firewood that I’d cut and hauled off my land to a destituted 67+ year old woman so she would have heat in her home.

This is the kind of “noble” slash is talking about.

I can encourage everyone here to do one kind thing a day and see how their Own life changes.!!!

It is well worth the effort and many a many benefit. It doesn’t have to be ground breaking major, just a smile / a moment of patience / a thank you………… all can make a difference.

Salute the nation

NOT looking for ”pat on the back” but last night I delivered a load of firewood that I’d cut and hauled off my land to a destituted 67+ year old woman so she would have heat in her home.

This is the kind of “noble” slash is talking about.

I can encourage everyone here to do one kind thing a day and see how their Own life changes.!!!

It is well worth the effort and many a many benefit. It doesn’t have to be ground breaking major, just a smile / a moment of patience / a thank you………… all can make a difference.

Salute the nation
You are always doing great things for people. You are a great example on how to be toward your fellow man/woman/etc.

That feeling of making someone smile in route to doing sometimes even the most miniscule acts is some type of wonderful.

I still enjoy the games, but I find it exponentially less difficult to go do something else. Used to be I couldn't miss the game. Now, If I miss part or all of the game, it barely registers. Even now, if I'm watching the game and the Steelers are stinking up the joint, I find myself chuckling rather than getting pissed. It's weird. Can't pinpoint when that changed for me, but it did.

Sarge, unfortunately I think we have been conditioned for mediocrity.

Back in the old days we expected to contend every year. You got your heart ripped out when they lost in the playoffs. AFCCG's Superbowls.....

Then all we wanted them to do was beat the Pats.

Now if they could manage to win a game and actually score 30 points we hope they might make the playoffs.

An there is always that winning season streak.

I still wont miss a game, but the losses hurt less and I am over them quicker. Used to be if They lost on a Sunday, I couldnt watch Football or even ESPN until Wednesday. now if they lose at 1, I will have the 4pm game on.

Sarge, unfortunately I think we have been conditioned for mediocrity.

Back in the old days we expected to contend every year. You got your heart ripped out when they lost in the playoffs. AFCCG's Superbowls.....

Then all we wanted them to do was beat the Pats.

Now if they could manage to win a game and actually score 30 points we hope they might make the playoffs.

An there is always that winning season streak.
I think we'll do well in the last half of this season....It's the post season that is so damn frustrating as you said.