• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on Bronco game

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Fields can throw a nice deep ball

Offense still needs to improve - the 2nd half was terrible just ******* terrible

Boz is awesome

Mt Washington is a good red zone target

We have TEs who can catch.....use them

Najee and Warren both ran hard but still need to do more

Defense was solid with two picks including the game winner

Elliot played well, the DL pretty much stuffed the run

good pressure on the QB

Watt with a sack while being held - they mugged our OLBs the whole game

need another WR threat. Pickens can't be the only one

can someone please explain what is and what is not holding on the OL??

the refs were ******* terrible

TJ and Highsmith held all game
I was thinking the Def was going to look more dominant against Bo
Jones need to get his head on straight.
love 54
Way too many penalties. dirty game
Pickens teammates are killing his game.
What happened to the offense in the 2nd half?
Thank you Steelmann and Stainless
I do not recall Andersons name called 1 time
Tomlin did not lose a single challenge

After what I thought was a very good play calling first half,it sure went downhill for the offense. Fields finished with 117 yards passing. He threw several nice balls in the first half. And his yards would be more,but there were penalties on some completions and PI interference. I felt the coaching took the game out of his hands in the second half. But hey…..a win is a win.
117 yards is not going to do it. Certainly not all Justin’s fault but Russ will be in next game. Shall be interesting.

The offense was painful to watch after the half. Thank god they played against a rookie qb who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Actually our offense in the second half mirrored them.

They have to do better than 13 points a game.

Fields has a great deep ball.

What the hell has happened to Jones? Three penalties on one drive. One of which negated a sweet deep reception by Pickens.

Put that guy in his correct position and leave him alone.

Defense two weeks in a row just killed any chance for the other team to win. Bravo!

Keep pounding that rock,but damn mix it up and get creative.

2-0! Next week they play a real offense. They'll probably need to score above 13.

Happy to get the W. But this team, at least on offense, continues to be plagued by the same problems year after year. It’s ridiculous at this point. Penalties, play calling, play execution. Same **** year after year. This game should have been a layup.

All the penalties definitely made it hard to watch.

Part of it was poor play, but the officials were definitely too loose with the flags.

Fields has been decent through two games, but I'm not sure he's been good enough to say he should definitely be the guy once Wilson is healthy enough to play.

Arthur Smith's offense has generally looked better in all areas except the one that matters most in terms of points.

It's getting tiresome watching this team having no choice but to win ugly game after game and year after year. It's almost like Tomlin prefers it that way, which is why things never really improve from that standpoint.

It's time to become a bit concerned about Broderick Jones. Elbow issue or not, the "bust" talk is inevitably going to start until he puts it to rest himself by playing a helluva lot better.

Happy to get the W. But this team, at least on offense, continues to be plagued by the same problems year after year. It’s ridiculous at this point. Penalties, play calling, play execution. Same **** year after year. This game should have been a layup.
All the penalties definitely made it hard to watch.

Part of it was poor play, but the officials were definitely too loose with the flags.

Fields has been decent through two games, but I'm not sure he's been good enough to say he should definitely be the guy once Wilson is healthy enough to play.

Arthur Smith's offense has generally looked better in all areas except the one that matters most in terms of points.

It's getting tiresome watching this team having no choice but to win ugly game after game and year after year. It's almost like Tomlin prefers it that way, which is why things never really improve from that standpoint.

It's time to become a bit concerned about Broderick Jones. Elbow issue or not, the "bust" talk is inevitably going to start until he puts it to rest himself by playing a helluva lot better.
Jones is repeatedly playing out of his natural position. You keep shuffling a guy around and eventually he’s going to break down. I mean, Dotson was a world beater the minute he went to a different team that played him in his natural position. Green was much improved compared to his time in Pittsburgh. I think Tomlin and company have a knack for outsmarting themselves.

Jones is repeatedly playing out of his natural position. You keep shuffling a guy around and eventually he’s going to break down. I mean, Dotson was a world beater the minute he went to a different team that played him in his natural position. Green was much improved compared to his time in Pittsburgh. I think Tomlin and company have a knack for outsmarting themselves.

With the exception of the Munchak years, OL play has been suspect throughout Tomlin's tenure. It's been a consistent issue with his teams.

Despite his immense talent, Jones was still available in the middle of the first round because he still needed to improve technically. Saying that, I'm not convinced he's going to get the coaching he needs under Tomlin to realize his potential.

We have Lisa poor coaches that do not play to our players strengths.

These penalties HAVE TO STOP. Same **** every game. Do we have a coach or do we have a friend?

Should have scored 17 for sure. Maybe more but still not good enough. And frankly I don't know if Fields is good enough and being shackled like they did to Pickett or he usnt quite good enough. There will be CNN vs. Fox like debate again this week with one side saying how can you take him out and other that he isnt good enough. Need to see Russ in my opinion. And agreed tgey have to clean up penalties but sheeeesh

This defense looks Elite

the penalty's killed our offense

Pickens is a monster that TD that was called back was a thing of beauty.

Fields is taking care of the football a should have had at least two td passes today. I think the QB job is his to lose at this point, he had some really good throws today, is a threat to run and has yet to this point really put the ball in danger. I really like the kid and I am pulling for him to ignite his career here.

Fields is taking care of the football a should have had at least two td passes today. I think the QB job is his to lose at this point, he had some really good throws today, is a threat to run and has yet to this point really put the ball in danger. I really like the kid and I am pulling for him to ignite his career here.

Fields has been better than expected, but the bar was set pretty low and the offense is still struggling to score.

I believe he had only 16 passing yards on 8 attempts in the second half today. That's terrible.

For as good as he was in the first half, it was a real struggle for him the rest of the game.

With the defense potentially being elite this season, I think Tomlin owes it to them to play Wilson when he is ready to see if the offense can generate more points with him, especially considering it was Heyward and Watt who apparently lobbied hard for the Steelers to sign Wilson.

The offense was solid in the first half aside from the penalties, which I will reiterate made that game painful to watch.

The defense is very good, but they shouldn't have to be counted on to be mistake free to win games every week.

Their attack changed in the second half. A win is a win but…winning this way is not sustainable down the stretch with better teams ahead. The next game will be a better challenge.

As for today, I like Artie Smith’s play calling. Today was another game that showed he understands where to attack a defense and when. I wish he did more of it in the second half. It looked like the return of Martyball.

They need to find another receiver. Someone that can get open and compliment Pickens.

Fields has been better than expected, but the bar was set pretty low and the offense is still struggling to score.

I believe he had only 16 passing yards on 8 attempts in the second half today. That's terrible.

For as good as he was in the first half, it was a real struggle for him the rest of the game.

With the defense potentially being elite this season, I think Tomlin owes it to them to play Wilson when he is ready to see if the offense can generate more points with him, especially considering it was Heyward and Watt who apparently lobbied hard for the Steelers to sign Wilson.
In all fairness the offense should have put up at least 20 points today if not for penalty's which is out of Fields control. (I believe they would have been in field goal range on one of his long passes that was called back)

If the long term answer to our QB problem is on this team it is Justin Fields so as long as we are winning I don't see how you pull him. Wilson's best is behind him, age alone will dictate he can't take off and run like Fields and he can't be a pocket passer with this oline at this point in time.

If Justin continues to play I think he will continue to improve. I just personally think he gives us the best chance at long term success at this time..

This is just the way I see things at this point. I just don't think you make a change as long as you are winning.

More ****** play by the refs
Seems every week they tarnish the shield

Appears a league directive to keep games close,
But With the master of close games tho
Mr. Conservative…they’re playing right into his hands!!!

Fields was pretty accurate and made pretty sound decisions with the football, one really slow read cost him
Broderick was abysmal
Need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot
We appear to have a solid secondary, deep LB corps and a serviceable DL to compliment

Solid win in the road tho on the back of another great performance by D

Rinse and repeat

2-0

If they are holding down fort to open up the playbook with Russ......ok. Fair I get it. If what you see is what you get in terms of where they are prepared to throw the ball and the playcalling in general what was the point. You won't even have a punchers chance. Rinse repeat same old bullshit.

i wasnt watching intensly ,, but i did see on the one time fields held the ball for 37 seconds and got sacked,, the broncos were in man coverage.. This was in the 2nd half.

Our offensive penalties negating offensive positive plays, absolutely killed us today. He’s probably questioning his play and nursing an injury that isn’t keeping him out so as he can heal.

I don’t care how tough he is because if that injury is causing him problems, SIT HIS AZz down. Heal up and then get him going.

Dan Moore had at least 1 Holding call as well. That doesn’t excuse either, but does show it was a little tough sledding today.

Joes is near the edge of many thinking he is a bust. If it wasn’t for the lack of coaching decisions made of him and their ability to not coach players up,……. I’d have to get close toagreeing.

Salute the nation

In all fairness the offense should have put up at least 20 points today if not for penalty's which is out of Fields control. (I believe they would have been in field goal range on one of his long passes that was called back)

If the long term answer to our QB problem is on this team it is Justin Fields so as long as we are winning I don't see how you pull him. Wilson's best is behind him, age alone will dictate he can't take off and run like Fields and he can't be a pocket passer with this oline at this point in time.

If Justin continues to play I think he will continue to improve. I just personally think he gives us the best chance at long term success at this time..

This is just the way I see things at this point. I just don't think you make a change as long as you are winning.

If Fields continues to improve, fine, but there is no guarantee that he will. Going forward, we could see just as many halves like the second one today as the first one.

He's in his fourth season in the league. Exactly how long should he be given to figure it out while one of Watt's few remaining prime seasons potentially goes to waste?

I tend to doubt that the long-term answer at QB is currently on the roster. If Wilson gives them the best chance to win right now with the defense they have, he needs to be out there when healthy.