• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on Bronco game

Our offensive penalties negating offensive positive plays, absolutely killed us today. He’s probably questioning his play and nursing an injury that isn’t keeping him out so as he can heal.

I don’t care how tough he is because if that injury is causing him problems, SIT HIS AZz down. Heal up and then get him going.

Dan Moore had at least 1 Holding call as well. That doesn’t excuse either, but does show it was a little tough sledding today.

Joes is near the edge of many thinking he is a bust. If it wasn’t for the lack of coaching decisions made of him and their ability to not coach players up,……. I’d have to get close toagreeing.

Salute the nation
If Jones was on a team with a competent OL coach, playing in position and healthy he would be good…unfortunately we may be 0-3 in those departments

I’d wager he instantly improves when he escapes the situation he is in

But yeah, he was abysmal today

The two calls against Jones were garbage. The kid needs to be in his natural position. Period. Tomlin and Meyer can't be this ******* stupid. I counted at least 10 times Watt, Highsmith, and Herbig were actually placed in a ******* chokehold with no calls. Once again this week there was no OPI. The Denver defenders initiated the contact. My God these Refs blow goats.

Oh, by the way, Dan Moore can **** all the way off. We cater to his *** because he can't play the other side, yet we throw our No.1 draft pick under the bus. Moore is not even going to be here next year. Hopefully, Meyer, who also blows goats won't either.

If Fields continues to improve, fine, but there is no guarantee that he will. Going forward, we could see just as many halves like the second one today as the first one.

He's in his fourth season in the league. Exactly how long should he be given to figure it out while one of Watt's few remaining prime seasons potentially goes to waste?

I tend to doubt that the long-term answer at QB is currently on the roster. If Wilson gives them the best chance to win right now with the defense they have, he needs to be out there when healthy.
Yeah he really shouldn’t have got that OPI negating a TD (which was a weak call anyways) or held on back to back plays killing another play to Pickens…he’s really gotta improve those aspects of his game🤦🏻‍♂️

The accuracy was improved today
The reads were better and quicker than last week, he did have one real slow one which cost him when there was nobody open but a wide open running lane in front of him (but the play was a fail as he kept eyes downfield instead of running)

So I would say there was definitely improvement in his game this week even though it didn’t show on the stat sheet

All he can do is improve week to week which he appears to be doing

what if run heavy sets they have
lt moore lg daniels c frazier rg jones rt troy could push n get najee going

Stack the wins now because the last 6 games will be brutal.

what if run heavy sets they have
lt moore lg daniels c frazier rg jones rt troy could push n get najee going
No just no please for the love of OL
Jones isn’t a guard
Moving everyone around isn’t the answer
OL’s need continuity and this is a young OL taboot

They just need Isaac back and play Jones at LT, his natural position, if he is going to be on the field

Until then the simple fix is more Darnell

Initial thoughts were: Great game by the defense, again. But what happened to the play-action passing game from last week? What happened to the rollouts and bootlegs? What happened to the designed QB runs?

Everything I thought Arthur Smith was building offensively got neutralized by a nauseating Marty-ball approach in the second half. Yes, they won the game. No, this type of bullshit is not going to beat good teams. Winning ugly is fine when you manage to win. When you inevitably start to lose, it's just plain ugly. Tomlin cannot seem to grasp this concept.

This game was hard to judge with all the penalties. The first call on Jones I did not see much and it negated a long Najee run. The second one I can understand because he had a hold of the guys jersey right in the middle of his chest which probably allowed Fields to get around the edge to throw the pass. Other penalties were all over the place on both sides. It was just an all around flag fest. The offense last week was much cleaner and sustained. The line struggled this week. Fields was barely touched last week, but this week he had pressure early and often. Denver's D is probably better than ATL as well so have to give them some credit. Our defense played well again. Next week will be a real challenge for sure.

Initial thoughts were: Great game by the defense, again. But what happened to the play-action passing game from last week? What happened to the rollouts and bootlegs? What happened to the designed QB runs?

Everything I thought Arthur Smith was building offensively got neutralized by a nauseating Marty-ball approach in the second half. Yes, they won the game. No, this type of bullshit is not going to beat good teams. Winning ugly is fine when you manage to win. When you inevitably start to lose, it's just plain ugly. Tomlin cannot seem to grasp this concept.

I dont hate Tomlin as much as many here do, but i think some of his decisions are idiotic... hey the penalties definitely took away a bunch of splash plays, but it always feels like as soon as he has a lead of more than 1 td, he is trying to win with that score... he is just super petrified of a turnover to an unhealthy degree... everything around the redzone is to the edges or short trying to get a yac td...

I dont hate Tomlin as much as many here do, but i think some of his decisions are idiotic... hey the penalties definitely took away a bunch of splash plays, but it always feels like as soon as he has a lead of more than 1 td, he is trying to win with that score... he is just super petrified of a turnover to an unhealthy degree... everything around the redzone is to the edges or short trying to get a yac td...
It seems you just painted a picture of a man living in his fears

I take no comfort in this

It seems if you wrap both arms around an OLB as he's going by you, that is just fine in the NFL. If you do that anywhere else on the field to any other play and it is an obvious holding penalty. The NFL just makes no sense. A hold is a hold, no matter who is being held.

Why
If Jones was on a team with a competent OL coach, playing in position and healthy he would be good…unfortunately we may be 0-3 in those departments

Why is Zach Frazier, fautanu, Daniels, all seem to be doing well under the line coach

Fully agree, having these players play out of position and then switch to be switched back and then back again, just doesn’t add up in professional ability. Why not have them HONE their craft at their position to be the best they can be ? You don’t get to do that while being “flexed” constantly.

You don’t see other teams flexing their players constantly. OL coach Meyers (?) should be screaming at the top of his lungs and lobbying NOT to do this, but then that’s part of why he’s not a top tier OL coach.

When Muncheck was here, you seen a little, but the player was in his rightful position way most of the time.

B.Jones was drafted to be a LT, hasn’t been given a fair chance and then once put there is expected to play like he’s been there all along……

Salute the nation

If Fields continues to improve, fine, but there is no guarantee that he will. Going forward, we could see just as many halves like the second one today as the first one.

He's in his fourth season in the league. Exactly how long should he be given to figure it out while one of Watt's few remaining prime seasons potentially goes to waste?

I tend to doubt that the long-term answer at QB is currently on the roster. If Wilson gives them the best chance to win right now with the defense they have, he needs to be out there when healthy.
I agree 100% with you about the QB that gives you the best chance to win. But after watching the Bears game last night you gotta wonder how much of Fields problems were on him and how much were on the Bears. Mitch Trubisky, bears pick him with the second pick in the first round = wasted talent, Justin Fields, bears pick him with the 11th pick in the first round = so far a wasted talent. Now it's Caleb Williams who has been touted as a generational talent, first pick in the first round by the Bears = looked totally lost last night and could possibly be the third straight first round pick by the bears that ends up sucking.

the common denominator in all of this is the Bears. I am not a draft expert or a monster talent evaluator but I think Justin has the ability to be a upper level talent if given the right coaching and training. I don't know him personally but everything I see leads me to think he is a great kid with a good mind set and positive personality.

I think a lot of people are in the Wilson camp because of his past but lets be honest when Ben was the age Wilson is now a large portion of this board wanted him gone. Wilson is not the same player he was in Seattle.

Does Wilson give us a better chance of winning? Hell I don't know. the only thing I do know is Justin Fields is 2-0 right now and he IS winning. so how can we say Wilson gives us the best chance of winning when Fields has not lost a game. So right or wrong I look at it like this, Fields is undefeated right now so in my mind he gives us the best chance to win.

QB- Fields hasn’t shown a ton more than Pickett but he has better feet and deep ball skills.

RB- Najee and Warren really haven’t got it going yet but are still doing decent. If they start firing on all cylinders then who cares who is the QB.

WR- If the refs would pull their heads out of their ***** he’s be near the league leaders. Everyone else is pretty mid.

TE- need to get muth and company more involved. Obviously, we don’t have much in the way of #2 receivers.

OL- Moore has been a pleasant surprise. Jones has been a disappointment.

DL- Not a star studded unit but a very solid and deep group. Keep fresh legs in there and wear the offensive line down.

Edge- TJ gets held every play. Highsmith is a solid player. Herbig needs more reps but it’s hard taking the above mentioned out.

ILB- Queen had a better game but so far not earning that paycheck. Wilson looks to be our best ILB in my opinion. Roberts is an awesome depth and run stuffer.

S- Elliott is still the best free agent signing this offseason. Kazee provides some great depth. Minkah needs to step up.

CB- might be the deepest outside CB unit we’ve had since I started watching football. Cory Trice needs more playing time but the new DJ is playing above par. Beanie has been solid but still think he’s our defensive weakness and a good coach would exploit that and make the defense bleed until it dies.

ST- Bos is still teams mvp
Corliss is lightyears better than PH3. So we’re good there.

Why

Why is Zach Frazier, fautanu, Daniels, all seem to be doing well under the line coach
The why: Meyer Sucks out loud, Jones is a LT and been dealing with injury…thought I was pretty clear in my assertion of the 0-3

Frazier has looked pretty good blocking, a couple bad snaps but he’s a rookie becoming “the guy”
Daniels has had a few gaffs this year-just ok so far
Fautanu just got his first start and was ok, he’ll be a stud in time imo but was just ok yesterday

Hardly call what they were doing well or above the line yet

None of them have been beyond reproach and all as a unit have been dangerously average

I think there’s a ton of potential but when your TE blocking grade is above 60% of the OL there is much work to do

Simply advocating for continuity which is one of the best friends of an OL. I think they’ll get there with time and some luck in the health department

Last edited:
Jones is the outlier. Frazier good Daniels good.. fautanu good. Seumalu comes back we will be soooo much better. Anderson stinks .
Been blocking well, penalties been bad.. but not bad blocking.
They will get better together and be ready for the home stretch but hardly the fault of the failing offense , save for penalties.

I just dont think the o line coach can be to blame when so many are doing well.