• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on lions game

This year is the year of The "?" For the roster

Like at QB... HOF starter that may or may not be washed up... backup a former first who may or may not be ready

At OL you may or may not have two rookies and a second year guy playing a different position from last year... so we dont know the actual starters nor how they work at these positions in the nfl yet.

At wr we have Pickens, and a whole lot of fast role players, but all are still in the stage that any could break out...

At RB we have no real idea what the plan is, plus Warren is injured..

At TE, we know Freiermuth is the starter and key guy, but if the position will be used more is still unknown

On D, we know that the starting DLine is going to be, but the question is can they stay healthy cause depth is going to be still unproven guys...

At Olb we know the top 3 but the 4 th is a mystery

At ILB we seem to be set

At Safety, we seem set

At CB we still haven't a clue about slot CB until sutton is back, and the outside depth has loads of potential, but are mostly low round guys who havent proven anything

I won't go as far to say locks, but things I feel pretty good about...

The Steelers are in good shape at RB, even with the Warren injury (for now). Harris is a workhorse and Patterson is a nice RB3 if needed. I think they may keep a 4th early until Warren is healthy. Once that happens, a nice 1-2 duo in the backfield.

George Pickens will be an exciting player and should get more looks this year as WR1.

The interior OL has the chance to be very good early on. Seumalo is one of the better guards in the league and we all know what Daniels can do. Even inexperienced at the NFL level, playing between the two vets, I expect Frazier to play well early on.

While usage is a ? the Steelers will have a healthy Freiermuth and Washington who looks like he's adjusted better year 2 as a blocker.

The DL, if healthy, is going to be excellent. Benton picked up right where he left off and is ready to take the next step forward.

Is there a better spot on the team than at OLB? Watt, Highsmith, and Herbig is probably the best pass rushing trio in the league and I'd stack them up against any position trio for being the deepest.

Likewise, they're stacked at ILB, especially if Holcomb can come back later in the season.

I won't go as far to say locks, but things I feel pretty good about...

The Steelers are in good shape at RB, even with the Warren injury (for now). Harris is a workhorse and Patterson is a nice RB3 if needed. I think they may keep a 4th early until Warren is healthy. Once that happens, a nice 1-2 duo in the backfield.

George Pickens will be an exciting player and should get more looks this year as WR1.

The interior OL has the chance to be very good early on. Seumalo is one of the better guards in the league and we all know what Daniels can do. Even inexperienced at the NFL level, playing between the two vets, I expect Frazier to play well early on.

While usage is a ? the Steelers will have a healthy Freiermuth and Washington who looks like he's adjusted better year 2 as a blocker.

The DL, if healthy, is going to be excellent. Benton picked up right where he left off and is ready to take the next step forward.

Is there a better spot on the team than at OLB? Watt, Highsmith, and Herbig is probably the best pass rushing trio in the league and I'd stack them up against any position trio for being the deepest.

Likewise, they're stacked at ILB, especially if Holcomb can come back later in the season.
I think they are solid at S too. Outside Oline still has potential and when it is all said and done should at least hold their own.

The one concern that has bodies is TE. Muth makes it that as will he get open enough? Or stay healthy enough. With WR having it’s own issues there is some concerns at pass catcher.

I'm not sure how many starters the Lions had out there, but Herbig played like a beast. Benton played well. It's nice to see Ogunjobi playing well, too. He always seems to be playing through some injury that slows him down. If he is healthy, he can help.

Trice made a few plays. They need all the help they can get at corner, though he doesn't help with the mess in the slot.

The line looked a lot better than last week, but again, there weren't many starters out there.

All of the above, but he is the No. 2 running back as long as Warren is out.
Warren said he is good to go for the season. So pencil Pat in for number3.

Warren said he is good to go for the season. So pencil Pat in for number3.
I’m still not sold on Patterson. He did very little last year. I know he had a 30 yard TD run, but I think any of the RBs could have scored on that play. I wish they would’ve had him returning kicks, especially if Plumlee doesn’t make the team.

Herbig, Benton, and Wilson on D are bringing it. Wilson needs to be on the field but I'm not sure how you get him there with Queen and Roberts as the starters.
Maybe in the nickel you bring him in occasionally as a 3rd S instead of a 3rd CB. Not all the time, but mix it up. Maybe even occasionally as a 5th LB

Maybe in the nickel you bring him in occasionally as a 3rd S instead of a 3rd CB. Not all the time, but mix it up. Maybe even occasionally as a 5th LB

I'm sure we will see some nickel with Kazee as the fifth defensive back.

They ran some schemes with three outside linebackers when Highsmith was a rookie, getting him on the field with Watt and Dupree. I wouldn't mind seeing some of that with Watt, Highsmith, and Herbig.

My initial thought was: The Steelers' third-string really sucks.

Other thoughts:
1) Reiterations that Herbig is very good, and the DL rotation could be adequate without Cam Heyward and his excessive salary at age 35. Benton is going to be a solid interior lineman.
2) Pickens could have a monster year if the OL gives Wilson/Fields enough time to throw.
3) Trice can add quality depth to the secondary if he manages to stay healthy. He is the tackler I wish Porter could be.
4) Tomlin was in mid-season form, missing another opportunity to challenge when he should have.
5) I'm much more confident in Cameron Johnston than I was with Pressley Harvin.

My guess Dez makes it because of ST play and Jenkins goes to the PS
Dez's special teams play in the first preseason game didn't do him any favors.

Like at QB... HOF starter that may or may not be washed up... backup a former first who may or may not be ready

At OL you may or may not have two rookies and a second year guy playing a different position from last year... so we dont know the actual starters nor how they work at these positions in the nfl yet.

At wr we have Pickens, and a whole lot of fast role players, but all are still in the stage that any could break out...

At RB we have no real idea what the plan is, plus Warren is injured..

At TE, we know Freiermuth is the starter and key guy, but if the position will be used more is still unknown

On D, we know that the starting DLine is going to be, but the question is can they stay healthy cause depth is going to be still unproven guys...

At Olb we know the top 3 but the 4 th is a mystery

At ILB we seem to be set

At Safety, we seem set

At CB we still haven't a clue about slot CB until sutton is back, and the outside depth has loads of potential, but are mostly low round guys who havent proven anything
I think Sutton (whenever he comes back from his 8 game non voluntary break) will be playing more safety/3rd safety and in nickel and dime situations. Sutton last year with the Lions was beaten more times than Tina Turner on a date with Ike

1st drive TD? is that allowed? nice enough drive by the 1st team (mostly) running game until the30 yard TD dash was not impressive, but nice pass by Wilson to Pickens prior to that

3 straight sacks by the defense including the strip sack....very nice start for the defense

nice throw by Fields to set up the short TD run. some decent running by some guys who might not be around next week.

was watching on my phone so hard to judge the OL play. will have to rewatch the first quarter.

Herbig is a Player. Benton brought good pressue and the other LBs played well. some good plays by WRs not named Pickens but we likely still need another guy

the group that was in from midway through the 2nd quarter on...how could you describe them...pretty sure someone in the game thread hit it on the head with porous

nice to see all three QBs go more than 10 yards downfield with passes. Allen threw a few nice ones (Jenkins reallt soud have gotten both feet down on his) Plumlee even had one but it was called back on a penalty.

sucked to see that late injury, so glad he got up and walked off the field

was forced to listen to the lions announcers and they kept saying how impressive it was for hooker and how he ""came alive" late in the 2nd quarter. the fact that scrubs were in by that point made no difference
Well said, brother.

My only disagree, if you will, would be on the description of Patterson's run. I was pleasantly surprised by the OL blocking, play call and the explosive running style of our new acquisition!!!

As one of the resident homers, I, for one, believe a lot of doubters will be hushed this season...

I’m still not sold on Patterson. He did very little last year. I know he had a 30 yard TD run, but I think any of the RBs could have scored on that play. I wish they would’ve had him returning kicks, especially if Plumlee doesn’t make the team.
Plumlee as QB3/ RS would be a nice back end roster piece if it eliminates the need for a dedicated RS. If we get all the way to QB3 playing I’m pretty sure the season is a wash with Allen or Plumlee so why not keep the cheaper guy who is also a tweener. Mikey loves a tweener.

Plumlee as QB3/ RS would be a nice back end roster piece if it eliminates the need for a dedicated RS. If we get all the way to QB3 playing I’m pretty sure the season is a wash with Allen or Plumlee so why not keep the cheaper guy who is also a tweener. Mikey loves a tweener.
He might even do a Willie Beamen