• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts on raider game

It was a good bounce back win in a game the Steelers were supposed to win. I agree with Punx that the offense did not look as good as the points produced, outside of Harris, of course. Pickens really didn't do anything to justify his actions, IMO. Fields has moments that makes you think "maybe" but as a whole just does not put it together.

After a bad first drive, the defense did a pretty good job for the rest of the game shutting down the preseason offense the Raiders trotted out there.
We had a few calls go our way that if they didn't the drives would have stalled....that said...the calls were correct by rule of today's NFL.

Tomlin did a masterful job coaching today!

I could never understand the negativity toward Harris on this board.
When the O line gives him something to work with he becomes the beast he was in college.

When the O line gives him something to work with he becomes the beast he was in college.
That's it right there. As a first-round running back, the expectation is to occasionally create yards on his own.

Harris played great today. He usually does 2 or 3 times a season. That's what makes him even more frustrating. He looks like a beast but the majority of games are bottom of the league performances.
He just doesn't play like this with any consistency. Fields has nearly as many 100yd games as Harris. In 13 less games.
7 100yd games in 55 games isn't a first round draft pick.

That's it right there. As a first-round running back, the expectation is to occasionally create yards on his own
Yep. He refused to go down on the initial hit and was carrying defenders on his back quite a few times.

Last edited:
Fields has done an admiral job. Better than expected and has looked great at times. But I feel he's played lights out for him. But his vision awareness and accuracy are not that of a $$ franchise QB.
I'm ready to see what Russell looks like. Not that I think Wilson will do any better. We may as well see what he looks like? We aren't making any kind of serious playoff run anyway

Harris played great today. He usually does 2 or 3 times a season. That's what makes him even more frustrating. He looks like a beast but the majority of games are bottom of the league performances.
He just doesn't play like this with any consistency. Fields has nearly as many 100yd games as Harris. In 13 less games.
7 100yd games in 55 games isn't a first round draft pick.
Perhaps a coincidence. We complain about our offensive line being terrible. Could it be that they play great only 2 or 3 times a season too?

Last edited:

Only negatives I had on Tomlin were ....the 2 point conversion attempt...though I understand it and not putting Russ in at the end of the game up by 3 scores with around 4 minutes or so to play.

Last edited:
I do not remember that idea.
I don't think anyone ever came out and said it. I just see no other reason for reaching for a first round RB except to give Ben a chance to go out with a bang on his last season. There's no way they could fix all the problems on the OL.

You might not.....but ask Tomlin what his thoughts wer
I don't think anyone ever came out and said it. I just see no other reason for reaching for a first round RB except to give Ben a chance to go out with a bang on his last season. There's no way they could fix all the problems on the OL.
I definitely wanted Creed that year.
But I do not think the plan was to have Najee single handily fix the Running game with no offensive line help. Barry Saners himself needed oline help

I definitely wanted Creed that year.
But I do not think the plan was to have Najee single handily fix the Running game with no offensive line help. Barry Saners himself needed oline help
Agree about Sanders or any RB.

I'm not saying it was the correct plan. But I am pretty sure that was the plan.

That was the idea when they drafted Najee. He was supposed to single handedly give them a running game behind a terrible OL.
If we had a great offensive line like our beloved Harris of the 70’s was fortunate to have, Najee would be beloved by Steeler fans like Franco was.
Imagine Najee running behind the same Dallas O line that Emmitt Smith had the luxury of. They were monsters.

Last edited:
If we had a great offensive line like the Harris of the 70’s was fortunate to have, Najee would be beloved by Steeler fans like Franco was.
Imagine Najee running behind the same Dallas O line that Emmitt Smith had the luxury of. They were monsters.
Yet Harris is but like 13 RBs to have rushed for over a 1000 yards in his first 3 seasons. Crazy actual the hate he gets. Dude plays every game even when he clearly isn't 100%. Yet he is still able to grind it out. Week in....week out. Maybe hate on the OL a bit more. On the play calling against a stacked dedense in the box. Maybe against when your QB is under center and you run like 95% of the time....any everyone knows it. Hate against that. Props to Harris for his effort week in and out over the last 3 plus seasons. That is my take. I am a few that wished the Steelers would have picked up his peanut option year salary.

While I think Cam is playing good....dor $16 mill(plus extension)....vs Harris' option year salary? Mind boggling on the Steelers to extend Cam at that price who plays a limited amount of snaps per Tomlin to conserve him...vs Harris' efforts weekly and by passing his option 5th year. It is what it is though.