• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is QB2 Dwayne Haskins’ Job to Lose?

IMO, we're resting Rudolph since we know what one-trick folding-under-light-pressure pony we have in him. he's making the roster.

Haskins will either be 2nd or gone. If he plays worse than Dobbs, then he's gone. Dobbs is making the roster or PS. He's going nowhere.
yeah, i know ... obvious.

But, as I saw elsewhere ... Tomlin is doing what should be done with Haskins. By playing him in this game, he's telling the dude that he may not make the active roster. He was said to be immature coming out of ohio state. I doubt he'd prepare as hard if he were the 3rd string QB, knowing it would take two injuries for him to take the field. If he's the 2nd QB, then he should be more aware that he might play any game, any time.

This game will give Haskins time to get more into the system and show he can command the offense.

I wouldnt be surprised if Haskins/Rudolph are swapped out as 2-3 throughout the season.

I think Haskins has done better than I expected you can see his physical tools at least. Rudolph maybe better at this point, but is very limited. Rudolph is not mobile at all and has questionable arm strength. I think we have seen the ceiling of Rudolph while Haskins has much more potential. I doubt Haskins will be #2, but if Rudolph struggles he will be on a short leash. I do not think Dobbs makes the team. I doubt they will have 4 QBs and is Dobbs even eligible for the PS?

I think Haskins has done better than I expected you can see his physical tools at least. Rudolph maybe better at this point, but is very limited. Rudolph is not mobile at all and has questionable arm strength. I think we have seen the ceiling of Rudolph while Haskins has much more potential. I doubt Haskins will be #2, but if Rudolph struggles he will be on a short leash. I do not think Dobbs makes the team. I doubt they will have 4 QBs and is Dobbs even eligible for the PS?
Yes he is eligible for the PS squad this year. I also have no issues or concerns with Masons arm. Haskins is stronger but Masons is fine. Haskins need some touch.

Everyone is now eligible for the practice squad

HCMCS loves him some existing players who "know the system". Because you know, his "system" is so awesome that you don't even need halftime adjustments. The guy who knows the system has to really suck before Shades will replace him with someone new. Rudolph is number 2, he was always number 2, that was never a question. The battle will be for the number 3 spot.
1. Ben.
2. Mason.
3. Haskins
Cut: Dobbs
I'm not guaranteeing that but if it works out any other way (barring injury) I'll be shocked.

😂 where did you come up with this? Rudolph is MORE mobile and has just as good of an arm than Haskins.

😂 where did you come up with this? Rudolph is MORE mobile and has just as good of an arm than Haskins.
I think Haskins is a bit more mobile… he just sucks at picking up on the blitz so he took a lot of sacks… he has a better natural arm but that means little overall… Rudolph had better arm grades than Brees or Brady did coming out.. arm strength really can be fixed depending on frame and mechanics

I think Haskins is a bit more mobile… he just sucks at picking up on the blitz so he took a lot of sacks… he has a better natural arm but that means little overall… Rudolph had better arm grades than Brees or Brady did coming out.. arm strength really can be fixed depending on frame and mechanics
Haskins ran a 5.04 forty while Rudolph ran a 4.9. Haskins scrambles because he can’t read the defense. Rudolph doesn’t because he can. Their arm strength are literally identical. 52mph left and right. Neither have a cannon arm. I’d say the both have an adequate arm if they can get rid of the ball on time.

(Not left right arm throwing to the left and right)

Haskins ran a 5.04 forty while Rudolph ran a 4.9. Haskins scrambles because he can’t read the defense. Rudolph doesn’t because he can. Their arm strength are literally identical. 52mph left and right. Neither have a cannon arm. I’d say the both have an adequate arm if they can get rid of the ball on time.

Well stats definitely beats my eye test… I think i may be wrong here then…

Mason has a decent deep ball, but seems to lack zip on the out throws. I do not recall seeing Mason really put some fire on a pass. Haskins could use some touch, but he looks to have a bigger arm to me. Eye test to me just does not pass with Rudolph. I dont know if it is just mechanics or what everything points to Rudolph's arm being alright, but IMO just does not seem to be able to throw the tight frozen rope throws. I was pretty surprised at the 40 times I will definitely watch Haskins much closer but he seems to move around a bit better.

HCMCS loves him some existing players who "know the system". Because you know, his "system" is so awesome that you don't even need halftime adjustments. The guy who knows the system has to really suck before Shades will replace him with someone new. Rudolph is number 2, he was always number 2, that was never a question. The battle will be for the number 3 spot.
1. Ben.
2. Mason.
3. Haskins
Cut: Dobbs
I'm not guaranteeing that but if it works out any other way (barring injury) I'll be shocked.
Yep… if Rudolph had a contract that saved substantial money by cutting him and he had extremely limited snaps or was splitting early game snaps with Haskins Id say they were legitimately evaluating them, haskins got mop up duty in the dress rehearsal game.. that isn’t a great sign he was making a push…

i think the competition was made up in the minds of the media… you are right Tomlin had a gameplan for the qbs and it was up to Haskins to force the issue… and he really didn’t.. he played a conservative, safe game that didn’t get him cut and didn’t make waves…

Mason has a decent deep ball, but seems to lack zip on the out throws. I do not recall seeing Mason really put some fire on a pass. Haskins could use some touch, but he looks to have a bigger arm to me. Eye test to me just does not pass with Rudolph. I dont know if it is just mechanics or what everything points to Rudolph's arm being alright, but IMO just does not seem to be able to throw the tight frozen rope throws. I was pretty surprised at the 40 times I will definitely watch Haskins much closer but he seems to move around a bit better.

Same arm strength. Perception vs reality. If you want to see Rudolph’s zip watch the Eagles preseason game. Can’t remember the exact play but it was an intermediate pass to the right surrounded by 3 defenders. He put some heat on it, need be, and zipped it in. Probably as much mustard as he has but it’s enough to get it done when needed. Deep ball is more about timing and accuracy than arm strength. Chad Pennington had no arm strength but was a good deep ball thrower because he understood angles and timing.

Well stats definitely beats my eye test… I think i may be wrong here then…
Hard to tell they aren't scrambling in a straight line. Plus we know some players have sneaky field speed. I have seen them both scramble effectively but yeah neither is going to set the world on fire with their ability. Probably apples n oranges with comparing the two. Except Rudy doesn't seem to be accurate in the red zone.

Yep… if Rudolph had a contract that saved substantial money by cutting him and he had extremely limited snaps or was splitting early game snaps with Haskins Id say they were legitimately evaluating them, haskins got mop up duty in the dress rehearsal game.. that isn’t a great sign he was making a push…

i think the competition was made up in the minds of the media… you are right Tomlin had a gameplan for the qbs and it was up to Haskins to force the issue… and he really didn’t.. he played a conservative, safe game that didn’t get him cut and didn’t make waves…
Haskins was available on the cheap so he was a low-risk pickup but I have to think that if the team didn't think he could be better than Dobbs they wouldn't have bothered signing him. I can believe that after a year with the team he could be better than Rudolph.

Haskins was available on the cheap so he was a low-risk pickup but I have to think that if the team didn't think he could be better than Dobbs they wouldn't have bothered signing him. I can believe that after a year with the team he could be better than Rudolph.
I honestly feel next year if Roethlisberger retires IS Haskins opportunity. If he’s head and shoulders better in camp then he could perceivably get the starting job. Or if Rudolph fails for 4+ games it’s likely he’d get a shot to start then.
This year he’s not guaranteed to even make the 53 man roster. It’s conceivable to me that since no one else wanted Haskins and the fact he’s looked average that the Steelers try to stash him on the PS. I truly believe this game determines if he’s on the 53 man this season. If he throws 3 picks and is at 50% completion he’s probably not making the team.

this thread seems to be a bit more level-headed than most of the idiotic garbage on facebook.

I preface by saying i have nothing against Haskins. if he gets his **** together and is the starter next year, awesome. i'll root for him like ever other steeler.

that being said, my biggest issue with all the debate is that every critique of MR is based on a false premise, i.e., "we know his ceiling"; "we have seen the best he can be".

If you accept that as fact, then all the ridiculous chatter about him holds water. But, it isnt an established fact and that just makes all the DH ballwashing look like fanboy **** from people who are enamored with the fact that DH went so high in the draft.

except when MR had his brain scrambled, i have seen nothing from him that shows me he isnt at least as good as the bottom 3rd/4th of the starting QBs in the league currently. A lot of the criticism about him "being indecisive" is people remembering how he looked during one small time in his career and extrapolating it through every time the watch him. sometimes you cant change minds. ever hear dont talk politics or religion with people? people's minds are made up.

I compare it to non-pen NHL fans bitching about "what a crybaby Crosby is" for 15 years due to a couple instances when he was 18 or 19 years old. he never shook the branding from certain people.

If you watch MR and DH in the pocket, one looks like he knows what he is doing, IMHO. And it isnt DH

this thread seems to be a bit more level-headed than most of the idiotic garbage on facebook.

I preface by saying i have nothing against Haskins. if he gets his **** together and is the starter next year, awesome. i'll root for him like ever other steeler.

that being said, my biggest issue with all the debate is that every critique of MR is based on a false premise, i.e., "we know his ceiling"; "we have seen the best he can be".

If you accept that as fact, then all the ridiculous chatter about him holds water. But, it isnt an established fact and that just makes all the DH ballwashing look like fanboy **** from people who are enamored with the fact that DH went so high in the draft.

except when MR had his brain scrambled, i have seen nothing from him that shows me he isnt at least as good as the bottom 3rd/4th of the starting QBs in the league currently. A lot of the criticism about him "being indecisive" is people remembering how he looked during one small time in his career and extrapolating it through every time the watch him. sometimes you cant change minds. ever hear dont talk politics or religion with people? people's minds are made up.

I compare it to non-pen NHL fans bitching about "what a crybaby Crosby is" for 15 years due to a couple instances when he was 18 or 19 years old. he never shook the branding from certain people.

If you watch MR and DH in the pocket, one looks like he knows what he is doing, IMHO. And it isnt DH
To be fair one has been around significantly longer than the other. I would think that would make Rudy slightly more comfy. I am not one to claim we have a ceiling shown but what he is showing needs to better on their side of the field, which Rudy himself acknowledged.

To be fair one has been around significantly longer than the other. I would think that would make Rudy slightly more comfy. I am not one to claim we have a ceiling shown but what he is showing needs to better on their side of the field, which Rudy himself acknowledged.
He’s been signed for just a little less than Rudolph was when he was forced into starting. Look at Rudolph’s only start last year. 324 2/1 with backups vs Browns starters.

I think the criticism of Rudy is mostly from a skewered perspective of young qbs…they typically don’t have better numbers than we saw from Rudolph in his starts…

I don’t think either Rudolph or Haskins are franchise QBs, but there have been plenty of late developers at qb through the years and both are still relatively young for the position…

The knock that he doesn’t throw downfield was actually how Fitchners offense was designed… the knock about him not producing tds is more about the run game failing him than his passing… he throws tds on 4.6% of his passes… that would be good enough to be among the top 100 all time if he had enough passes to qualify…

i just think that Cleveland game where they kept cheapshotting him and not getting called really soured some people on him a bit unfairly

Mason Rudolph couldn't beat Duck Hodges out for the starting job a few years ago. He is trash. Dwayne Haskins got cut from Washington.
Either of them get called up for the starting job, Season over. Done
Who cares who is 2 and who is 3?

Mason Rudolph couldn't beat Duck Hodges out for the starting job a few years ago. He is trash. Dwayne Haskins got cut from Washington.
Either of them get called up for the starting job, Season over. Done
Who cares who is 2 and who is 3?
This is disingenuous and you you know it.

MR was playing quite well before head shot. It's when he was trying to get his feet under him again they went with Duck.

MR looks more like the pre-injury MR now. Now im not saying he'll be a great QB, but acting like on Day 1 Duck v. MR resulted in Duck starting is crap

This is disingenuous and you you know it.

MR was playing quite well before head shot. It's when he was trying to get his feet under him again they went with Duck.

MR looks more like the pre-injury MR now. Now im not saying he'll be a great QB, but acting like on Day 1 Duck v. MR resulted in Duck starting is crap
Damn don't bring in facts and reason to a fight that is all about the feels. We must hate one or the other with no rational reason why.