• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Israel Abanikanda

FordFairLane

Reaction score
With the Jets signing Cook the odds of Israel Abanikanda making the Jet 53 man team just became really difficult. IMO we aren't set at the #3 RB spot. McFarland has looked better but I am not sold on him. Could be an opportunity to solidify the backfield with a homerun threat. Abanikanda ran a 4.41 at his pro day but some stop watches had him as low as 4.26, he had a 41" vert and at 217lbs has the size to take an NFL hit. He looked good in his last outing running for 56 yards with a 4.7 average.

To me McFarland is a lock. Not from a couple good touches in a pre season game but the overall narrative of his camp. Other teams cast-off aren't necessarily better. You can bring in one new guy and dump another guy not making the 53 but since he isn't even released yet it will be a week before you even get him in. What couod you possibly compare at that point.

Speaking of RBs..

Lovett was released as well...

Lovett was released as well...

Imagine if these three were on our team…………

Kuntz Lovetts the Bush, clean shaven.

****rell Lovetts Kuntz……………….

Salute the nation

PPG's Ray Fittipaldo listed his first 53 roster yesterday and only listed Harris and Warren with Hayward as option in an emergency. Find that strange and doubtful. Say the ground game is working well or your controlling the clock with a lead, one guy goes down and the remaining back can't get a breather, you stick Hayward in there who has limited reps taking handoffs etc. Weird considering McFarlands performance so far in camp and first pre season game.

If Fittipaldo is privy to some inside info regarding McFarland, they need to add someone.

PPG's Ray Fittipaldo listed his first 53 roster yesterday and only listed Harris and Warren with Hayward as option in an emergency. Find that strange and doubtful. Say the ground game is working well or your controlling the clock with a lead, one guy goes down and the remaining back can't get a breather, you stick Hayward in there who has limited reps taking handoffs etc. Weird considering McFarlands performance so far in camp and first pre season game.

If Fittipaldo is privy to some inside info regarding McFarland, they need to add someone.
Ive been saying that for a month. Rb3 is a redundant special teams coverage position. It can be done by wrs, lbs and S guys. Running ability is almost an afterthought for it.
Wrs and Dbs are more necessary these days. You can elevate a ps rb in an injury pinch and not get a ridiculous dropoff in production.

While my rosters have had a third RB on them, They may want to keep an extra olinemen or DB and in that case RB is a logical cut because on gameday you already have a lot of options if injuries happen… tes or wrs or even some defensive players can cover the role.. on some teams even qbs can do it…

Even if we see if he clears waivers and offer him a PS contract. Tell him #3 isn’t a lock and if he shows something and can play some special teams snaps why not. I just see McFarland as only the third RB with no other real value.

Last edited:
Ive been saying that for a month. Rb3 is a redundant special teams coverage position. It can be done by wrs, lbs and S guys. Running ability is almost an afterthought for it.
Wrs and Dbs are more necessary these days. You can elevate a ps rb in an injury pinch and not get a ridiculous dropoff in production.

While my rosters have had a third RB on them, They may want to keep an extra olinemen or DB and in that case RB is a logical cut because on gameday you already have a lot of options if injuries happen… tes or wrs or even some defensive players can cover the role.. on some teams even qbs can do it…
If one of my two running backs goes down in the first quarter, I'd like to have more than one who's used to taking hand offs, reliable in his blocking assignments and familiar with his job. Especially if your trying to establish a running game and/or control the clock. Just my opinion.

If one of my two running backs goes down in the first quarter, I'd like to have more than one who's used to taking hand offs, reliable in his blocking assignments and familiar with his job. Especially if your trying to establish a running game and/or control the clock. Just my opinion.
You have heyward on the team, and he has played RB. That isn’t a factor at all.

Im pretty sure most teams have at least 3 rbs. Seems some teams were actually using 3 RBs regularly. I think a 3rd RB is a lock to make the team. Im not really a fan of McFarland. He is certainly not the worst RB out there, but I would definitely give others a look.

You have heyward on the team, and he has played RB. That isn’t a factor at all.
I think it's relevant, Hayward has had limited reps with a specific set of plays designed for him at H back. Not sure it's an ideal situation relying on him off guard and tackle continually.

I think it's relevant, Hayward has had limited reps with a specific set of plays designed for him at H back. Not sure it's an ideal situation relying on him off guard and tackle continually.

I hear yaz KStilley but also realize it would just be for the remainder of the game being played. Then you sign that FA or promote off PS. Again, RB is by far the easiest skill player to replace with least amount of drop off.

I’d keep an extra DB that I diodn’t want to risk losing as opposed to a #3 RB that was nearly average.

Salute the nation

Well, I look at it this way. Kyle Shannahan who is one of the better offensive coaches in football has a guy like Debo Samules who lines up in the backfield on occasion and is a hell of a runner and a they have a versatile fullback but still carry three RBs on game day.

SIgning Cook could mean Breece Hall is not all the way healthy from his ACL. If Hall is healthy then Michael Carter could be the odd man out. He's a good receiving back, not sure why the Jets don't like him.

I off the topic obviously, would love to grab Abanacanda but can't see the Jets parting with the 7th pick in the fourth round unless he is exhibiting some off field issues that I'm completely unaware of. A good running back though is leaving the Jets roster.

I off the topic obviously, would love to grab Abanacanda but can't see the Jets parting with the 7th pick in the fourth round unless he is exhibiting some off field issues that I'm completely unaware of. A good running back though is leaving the Jets roster.
Hard to say with the Jets. They are a poorly run organization… I’m sure whatever decision they make will be the wrong one… I kind of hope they keep 5rbs and short themselves elsewhere