• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

It's been said................"The Greatest Play in SB History"

Yes.

I think we own #1and #2
The timing and the combined team and individual effort on the Harrison play put it as number 1 for me.
As clutch and amazing as the throw and catch to Tone was it highlighted 2 great individual efforts over a shorter field.
I feel the Harrison play was way more unlikely to ever happen agian whereas the unbelievable throw and catch in the endzone is more likley.

Along with great plays, there are other extraneous notables that make the Steelers an exceptional franchise, setting this franchise apart from the rest of the league, and perhaps all of pro sports.

The Immaculate Reception
Holmes catch and Harrisons run arguably could be 1 and 2 in best Superbowl plays.
The Immaculate Tackle..Ben's shoestring tackle that saved Bettis and the Super Bowl.
First team to win 3,4, and 6 Super Bowls.
The winningest franchise since the formation of the league in 1970 (yeah I know, no losing seasons)
Jack Lamberts body slam of Cliff Harris.
The Steelers wing at the HOF.
The first and only 6th seed team to win a Super bowl, until GB did in 2010.
Only 3 HC's since 1970 (yeah I know, but still)
The Steel Curtain

Joe Greene's all time #1 Coke Commercial
Jack Lamberts "QB's should wear skirts" comment that went viral.
Both Swann's midfield diving/juggling catch and TD catch in the SB that has been replayed over and over in NFL promos.
Steeler fans that "take over" opposing stadiums around the country.
Good or bad, the Rooney Rule.
The Hines Ward Rule
The Mel Blount Rule
The Terrible Towel...pro sports most notable fan prop.
Logo only on one side of helmet.
Even down to the uniform itself, always ranked among the top. So badass they need no changes.

Last edited:
Top 3 plays in NFL history:
1) Immaculate Reception
2) Santorini Holmes TD
3) Deebo's 99 yd Int for TD.

All amazing plays, impactful, memorable, timely and highly unlikely.

Top 3 plays in NFL history:
1) Immaculate Reception
2) Santorini Holmes TD
3) Deebo's 99 yd Int for TD.

All amazing plays, impactful, memorable, timely and highly unlikely.
Not to downplay Holmes catch, but there has been great catches before. But Franco and James Plays are once in a lifetime type of plays

Notorious D-I-C, the answer is unequivocally and unbiasedly YES.

For everyone else invoking Immaculate Reception, it was NOT a SB play. It doesn't qualify for the original question asked.

I agree. Remember watching the game,was on pins and needles because the whole momentum had changed. Pitt jumped to a 10-0 lead,I thought everything was great and then Arizona started to come back. Scored a TD 10-7 and then Ben throws an interception on Steelers 30 yd line with 2 minutes left in half. Harrison put us up 17-7 with all the momentum rather then them up 14-10 and getting the ball first in the second half.

I can remember 6 plays where I jumped around and acted like an idiot.
One was Troy’s int against Baltimore. Never heard the stadium erupt like that ever. It was incredible.
Two was Jerome Bettis fumble against Indy which almost gave me a heart attack,then the Ben tackle.
Three was the shank. That Indy game had it all.
#4 was the James Harrison pick &rumble. Greatest return in the history of the NFL. All heart.
#5 was The Catch. The best thrown pass & catch for all the marbles in the history of the NFL. Super clutch from Ben and Santonio.

#6…I was just a kid and the Steelers were my team. Franco’s int and TD cemented me to be the diehard Fan I am today.
I remember flying off my couch over the coffee table and smashing my knee on the fireplace in attempt to catch the ball when it popped out of Jerome's grasp
TV is mounted above the fireplace

What about the Pats interception at the goaline to win the SuperBowl against our new field general?

Just "throwing" it out there ...........like Russell did .. :oops:
NO

But also the cheatriots had film and signals.

They deserve nothing…………… and they will LIKE it.!!!

Salute the nation

I'm glad both plays benefitted us. Easily the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history and definitely one of the best offensive plays. For me, Ben's TD pass to Holmes will always be No. 1.

Just to remember, BEN threw that pass twice, James ran the return once…………….

Both are spectacular plays, no doubt about it.

Salute the nation

Notorious D-I-C, the answer is unequivocally and unbiasedly YES.

For everyone else invoking Immaculate Reception, it was NOT a SB play. It doesn't qualify for the original question asked.

Truth to both statements.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salute the nation

Not to downplay Holmes catch, but there has been great catches before. But Franco and James Plays are once in a lifetime type of plays
Yes there have, but in those links I posted Santonio's catch was ranked #1 in one poll and #2 in the other, beating most other great catches.

To win SB, in triple coverage, with amazing toe tap, in last couple minutes?

To win SB, in triple coverage, with amazing toe tap, in last couple minutes?
James intercepted a potential TD, ran 100 yards with 10 players blocking and 11 players trying to tackle. Time run out. 99 yards get you nothing. he gets 100 yards. I have never seen anything like that.

Love the fact that we can argue what is the best play in Super Bowl history when some teams have never even played in a Super Bowl let alone won one.

James intercepted a potential TD, ran 100 yards with 10 players blocking and 11 players trying to tackle. Time run out. 99 yards get you nothing. he gets 100 yards. I have never seen anything like that.

Love the fact that we can argue what is the best play in Super Bowl history when some teams have never even played in a Super Bowl let alone won one.

Only 4 have never played in a SB...Jax, Texans, Detroit, and the Stains.
What I love about that is that at least Jax, Detroit, and Houston have each hosted one....making Cleveland the most removed from a Super Bowl.

I root for Detroit just to make that list shorter. Damn they came close last year!
I root for the other two if we are out of it.

Me finding all sorts of ways to mock Cleveland. I'm not kidding when I say I'm the #1 best Browns hater in the world! LOL

Actually, that wasn't me "finding" that interesting bit of trivia. That was brought to the public's attention by a Cleveland sports talker Tony Grossi years ago. I just never forget those types of things.

Last edited:
I remember flying off my couch over the coffee table and smashing my knee on the fireplace in attempt to catch the ball when it popped out of Jerome's grasp
TV is mounted above the fireplace

I admire your diligence, but have a small question……………

To this day, do you still walk with a “fireplace” knee limp ?

Salute the nation

Only 4 have never played in a SB...Jax, Texans, Detroit, and the Stains.
What I love about that is that at least Jax, Detroit, and Houston have each hosted one....making Cleveland the most removed from a Super Bowl.

I root for Detroit just to make that list shorter. Damn they came close last year!
I root for the other two if we are out of it.

Me finding all sorts of ways to mock Cleveland. I'm not kidding when I say I'm the #1 best Browns hater in the world! LOL

Actually, that wasn't me "finding" that interesting bit of trivia. That was brought to the public's attention by a Cleveland sports talker Tony Grossi years ago. I just never forget those types of things.

Ammunition is always needed with-in the war.

Salute the nation

ABSOLUTELY agree BLITZ, thanks for all your great post(s) and Humor along the way.

It’s not just arguing over best play of the Super Bowl, but the top two to argue are STEELERS’ plays.

Salute the nation

Speakin of Cleveland Sports talk...is big mouth and fat *** Mike Trevisono still alive?