• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

James Farrior: “I was meant to play for the Steelers”

Deshea Townsend wasn’t a starting CB, but neither was Bryant McFadden. They were both an example of the inability to draft good cornerbacks

But no one in their right mind thought Aaron Jones flew under the radar
I think Bill meant Aaron Smith, and to that Dick LeBeau said himself that Aaron was the best DE he ever coached.

I think he meant that if Ray Lewis wasn't around due to his involvement about the guy who was not around permanently after the 99 Super Bowl, that Farrior would have garnered more Pro Bowls and All Pro seasons that voters lazily just defaulted to Lewis because of the 350 tackles per season he was credited with.

Just imagine the perception if you looked at Farrior's career and it had say - 8 Pro Bowls and 4 All Pros, would he get HOF consideration?
Ray Ray is still getting credited with tackles to this day.

Potsie definitely would be considered the best FA signing by Colbert. You could say he‘s been the best FA signing in 40 years for PIT. Before someone argues about Jerome, he was a trade and not a FA signing.

Reactions: FSF
All of the underrated guys from the 05 team have a shot with the veterans committee

Guys like Lake and Lloyd and Kirkland are missing a super bowl so its less likely they eventually get in…,

But when its up to the players that played vs them, Potsie and big snack and Aaron smith… those guys were incredibly amazing at their jobs in a way that the media voters won’t ever see

Reactions: FSF
I think Bill meant Aaron Smith, and to that Dick LeBeau said himself that Aaron was the best DE he ever coached.

Ray Ray is still getting credited with tackles to this day.

Potsie definitely would be considered the best FA signing by Colbert. You could say he‘s been the best FA signing in 40 years for PIT. Before someone argues about Jerome, he was a trade and not a FA signing.
That's very good point and maybe worth exploring. Other top FAs signed in no particular order: Kevin Greene, Jeff Hartings, Joe Haden, Wayne Gandy, Ryan Clark, Dewayne Washington and Tommy Maddox (I don't care what anyone says, I loved me some 2002 Tommy Maddox)

That's very good point and maybe worth exploring. Other top FAs signed in no particular order: Kevin Greene, Jeff Hartings, Joe Haden, Wayne Gandy, Ryan Clark, Dewayne Washington and Tommy Maddox (I don't care what anyone says, I loved me some 2002 Tommy Maddox)
Kevin was a great signing and brought Cowher‘s defense to reality, but he was only in PIT for 3 years. Hartings was a solid starter and Colbert’s first big ticket FA signing. IMO Ryan Clark was probably the second best impactful FA signing, Joe third, who we stole right from under everyone. Clark learned the position next to Sean Taylor (who had been murdered would be in the HOF) and was cerebral to Coach LeBeau’s system. Playing next to Taylor prepped him to being the Yin to Troy’s Yang. Ryan was a very underrated FS.

Kevin was a great signing and brought Cowher‘s defense to reality, but he was only in PIT for 3 years. Hartings was a solid starter and Colbert’s first big ticket FA signing. IMO Ryan Clark was probably the second best impactful FA signing, Joe third, who we stole right from under everyone. Clark learned the position next to Sean Taylor (who had been murdered would be in the HOF) and was cerebral to Coach LeBeau’s system. Playing next to Taylor prepped him to being the Yin to Troy’s Yang. Ryan was a very underrated FS.
Hartings was better signing than Clark I think. And Wayne Gandy goes underrated. They had an OL with 4 first round picks, a 2nd rounder & de facto “6th OL” first rounder (Bruner at TE).

Haden was also better. They really lucked into him, it’s a shame it wasn’t capitalized on with championship. He made such a huge impact moment he came into lineup

Greene was only in Pittsburgh for 3 years, but huge impact in those 3 years

Kimo gets overlooked at lot but he really was a steal on DL. Ray Seals wasn’t too mad either.

I’ll never be talked out of if Kordell went down in AFCCG in 2001 that Tommy Maddox would have beaten Patriots and into Super Bowl. Tommy really was the prime example of why you stay in college & don’t rush to NFL. Talented but got screwed up early on.