• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jobs, Jobs and More Jobs

Last edited:
I'd be willing to open the border to anyone wanting to come in and work and pay taxes etc. For each one let in we simply deport a Democrat or a Family on Welfare. Seems fair and just.

How are we supposed to fix this problem when the average salary for a working person is around 50K a year, while an education at a most universities is close to six figures, and in some cases over that. How in the hell can a working class person afford to educate their child/children.

Colleges need to get their costs in order. The price of education has gone up simply because the govt is putting more easy money into the system, so schools hire more unnecessary staff and pay too much. The money is there so they're going to take it.

Colleges need to get their costs in order. The price of education has gone up simply because the govt is putting more easy money into the system, so schools hire more unnecessary staff and pay too much. The money is there so they're going to take it.

Harvard is sitting on $40 Billion but still charges $60,000.00 a year. It's true that 70% get some kind of aid or scholarship but with a freshman enrollment of 2,000 they could educate everyone they let in for free for 83 years without another donation. Many schools are sitting of fortunes.

Bunch of part time horseshit jobs,insane insurance deductibles and high inflation...bravo dear leader!...Forward comrades!

Harvard is sitting on $40 Billion but still charges $60,000.00 a year. It's true that 70% get some kind of aid or scholarship but with a freshman enrollment of 2,000 they could educate everyone they let in for free for 83 years without another donation. Many schools are sitting of fortunes.

Stingy ******* liberals.

Soooo, you are saying that when something is MASSIVELY, subsidized the cost goes up? Unpossible!

Why work when the government is willing to take care of everyone of your needs, right down to your Obama phone?

What no one wants to face is that the main problem with our education system is that poor kids who are raised in bad neighborhoods without parental involvement are trapped by virtue of their zip code and poverty with legions of other poor kids raised in bad neighborhoods without parental involvement. That's the problem that no one wants to talk about, that's the reason why some kids get great educations in this country and others get ****** ones, that's the issue. Until we fix the way education is allocated we will forever have this problem. Don't worry about the kids raised by religious parents, most of them are going to do just fine. Worry about the kids raised by no parents at all and how our education system condemns them to a permanent prison trapped with others just like them.

This is absolutely the case. In many of our schools, education cannot take place because of serious behavioral issues. I saw it first hand when I was involved in a part time work situation in one of the "better" school systems here in the PGH area. I can just imagine what it is like in the more problematic schools. Our Gov't entitlement policies have created an underclass of people that will permanently dismantle our worthwhile institutions, education being one of them.

I don't think we need more education, what we need is more training. I don't know why any of these presidential hopefuls aren't jumping on the training bandwagon. If it were me I would get together a bunch of industry and business heads and offer them incentives to train our young people. Then I would open up store front offices in the inner cities and point these youngsters living there to the training jobs. Then once they're good and trained I would offer them low interest loans so they could open up their own businesses.

I don't think we need more education, what we need is more training. I don't know why any of these presidential hopefuls aren't jumping on the training bandwagon. If it were me I would get together a bunch of industry and business heads and offer them incentives to train our young people. Then I would open up store front offices in the inner cities and point these youngsters living there to the training jobs. Then once they're good and trained I would offer them low interest loans so they could open up their own businesses.

Training, ok, but not just for young people. Vocational training for workers whose jobs are made obsolete (or shipped overseas) is also needed.

I thought only greedy evil corporations did that?

How are we supposed to fix this problem when the average salary for a working person is around 50K a year, while an education at a most universities is close to six figures, and in some cases over that. How in the hell can a working class person afford to educate their child/children.

1. Stop sending foreign aid to muslim-terrorist supporting countries.
That money alone would finance college tuition for all american taxpayers for ... FREE. Free is what the Democratic party pins their hopes on going forward on change.

2. Slow down the influx of shitheads coming across the border who have criminal backgrounds. The Democratic party loves to run criminal backgrounds checks and make hoops for law-abiding American taxpayers to jump through. Win-win.

problem ******* solved.

Then why do I keep reading stories about engineers with 6-10 years work expirience who can't get jobs because companies hire two or three kids out of India on H1B visas for the price of that one guys salary?

http://www.cringely.com/2012/10/23/what-americans-dont-know-about-h-1b-visas-could-hurt-us-all/
Ive been in staffing over 13 years. 10 of those years with HP and the current in oil and gas.

Even in the downturn in the industry, we struggle on a daily basis to find qualified petro engineers, chem engineers and geologists. Most of my HSE experts are coming from the UK. The other trend I am seeing is that as the baby boomers are retiring (finally) or dying, the knowledge and talent in the oil and gas space just doesnt exist. There are several factors involved in that, but overall in the intern programs and partnerships with the local universities, these kids coming out of UT, TAMU and UH are mostly Asian and Indian.

What no one wants to face is that the main problem with our education system is that poor kids who are raised in bad neighborhoods without parental involvement are trapped by virtue of their zip code and poverty with legions of other poor kids raised in bad neighborhoods without parental involvement. That's the problem that no one wants to talk about, that's the reason why some kids get great educations in this country and others get ****** ones, that's the issue. Until we fix the way education is allocated we will forever have this problem. Don't worry about the kids raised by religious parents, most of them are going to do just fine. Worry about the kids raised by no parents at all and how our education system condemns them to a permanent prison trapped with others just like them.

I respectfully dis-agree with it being an education "Allocation" problem. It is nothing more than a personal responsibility problem. Until people are held responsible for their own behavior, things will never change. If you have kids a REFUSE to teach them how to responsible members of society, if not, they are removed from your care, placed with someone who will, and eliminate your ability to procreate in the future.

I respectfully dis-agree with it being an education "Allocation" problem. It is nothing more than a personal responsibility problem. Until people are held responsible for their own behavior, things will never change. If you have kids a REFUSE to teach them how to responsible members of society, if not, they are removed from your care, placed with someone who will, and eliminate your ability to procreate in the future.

Government run parenting standards with universal testing and mandatory sterilization. Small government republican?

Where do we start with this totally assinine preface ?

Average starting salary of $50K - That is more than enough to survive on, notice I did not say THRIVE. Until you can AFFORD the better things in life, you do not BUY them. This includes starting a family you can not afford to raise at that time.

An education at a most universities is close to six figures - Have you ever heard of educational merit scholarships? This is the type of help people who APPLY themselves before entering college, get. Maybe you take the first two year classes at a local Jr College, while living at home, and WORKING part time. After that you then go to a Local State College to finish your degree. Can't afford to go to an Ivy League school? Toughen up buttercup, life isn't fair. Oh, BTW get a degree that will allow you to make a livable wage, think STEM.

How in the hell can a working class person afford to educate their child/children - Where does it say YOU are responsible for paying for your kids college education? A college student with zero skin in the game has no incentive to succeed. Your job as a parent is to push them to get the best education they can while in grades k-12, so they can qualify for the above scholarships.

I hope this helps you, but with the above mindset, I believe it will not.

Government run parenting standards with universal testing and mandatory sterilization. Small government republican?

No, just a realistic Libertarian leaning AMERICAN

Yeah, kinda true, Vis, but the fact is that basically every Harvard student gets financial aid because the institution has such a massive endowment.

Yeah, kinda true, Vis, but the fact is that basically every Harvard student gets financial aid because the institution has such a massive endowment.
From what I have learned from research, the net cost of going to Harvard for many students is less than half of the annual cost. Probably, less than it would cost to go to some other schools.

Quit eyeballing my endowment, will ya?

Quit eyeballing my endowment, will ya?

Ya' know, I was going to write, "massive endowment ... that sounds different than what I am discussing." But I credited Steeler Nation with being mature enough to avoid the rather obvious genital pun.

I forgot we have our resident Ravens fan.

c8254b4fcb7c4473_shaking_head_breaking_bad.xxxlarge.gif

I went to school the traditional way, straight from high school to college. Most of my employers once I started working had
tuition reimbursement which I never utilized. If I was advising someone today about going to school the affordable way, I'd
suggest going to a community college and get your associates degree, get an entry level job in a company with tuition reimbursement
and have them pay your way to a 4 year degree.

I went to school the traditional way, straight from high school to college. Most of my employers once I started working had
tuition reimbursement which I never utilized. If I was advising someone today about going to school the affordable way, I'd
suggest going to a community college and get your associates degree, get an entry level job in a company with tuition reimbursement
and have them pay your way to a 4 year degree.

Overall, I don't disagree. i'm not sure what the difference between a junior college and community college are, but is one, typically, better than the other?

I took a class at a community college. it was an embarrassment. I'm sure there are some good ones, but this one was horrible.

In any event, a lot of kids are graduating high school with enough credits for the first year or two in college.