• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

John Madden Will Forever be Embedded in Steelers History

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This past Tuesday, the NFL world was rocked by the sad new of John Madden’s passing. Whether fans knew him as a coach, a commentator for every major sports network, or simply by his famous video game, everyone can relate to him in some capacity. Pittsburgh Steelers fans are no exception to that. In fact, Steeler Nation may not have grown to what it is today without Madden. If we think back to the days before his retirement in 2009, Madden has been forever cemented in Steelers’ history.

The year was 1969 and the Steelers had just signed Chuck Noll to take the head coaching job. In that same year, a young, spry Madden also entered the coaching realm in the NFL as well. Before ultimately agreeing to become the Oakland Raiders head coach, Noll had approached Madden to join him in Pittsburgh as his defensive coordinator. In a 2014 interview, Madden talked some about Noll’s coaching inquiry:

“When he got the job with the Steelers, that was before I got the job with the Raiders. It was the same year, but it was a month or so before. He offered me a job as a defensive coordinator,” Madden said. “You talk about a fork in the road, I could have just as well, if I didn’t choose to wait and see what was going to happen with Oakland, I could have just as well been with Chuck during those years, or some of those years.”

Noll ultimately settled with Bud Carson in 1972, who led the emergence of the Steel Curtain in the 1970’s dynasty. But with the dynasty years of the 1970’s, the Steelers and Madden would meet several times on big stages.

Madden was an historic coach. His Hall of Fame enshrinement in 2006 proved that. In his 10-year coaching career, he held a 103-32-7 record (.759 winning percentage) which is the highest in history. As a part of that, Madden coached in 16 playoff games, leading his team to multiple divisional playoff games, the AFC Championship 7 times, and winning the Super Bowl once. It is in the playoffs where Madden and Noll’s Steelers would annually meet. In 1972, Madden was on the opposite end of the Immaculate Reception, which he would carry with him through retirement. Madden would then lose to the Steelers in the AFC Championship in the 1974 and 1975 seasons, where the Steelers would go on to win the Super Bowl in both seasons. It was in the 1976 season where Madden would get his revenge, beating the Steelers 24-7 in the conference championship and ultimately win his only Super Bowl in Super Bowl XI against the Minnesota Vikings. Noll would always praise, and respect Madden’s teams and it seemed like Madden would propel the Steelers forward through the 1970’s. Just as Noll was so prolific in the Steelers’ dynasty teams, Madden was also there, just on the opposite sideline.

If we fast-forward to the Steelers’ championships of 2005 (XL) and 2008 (XLIII), Madden was also played a big role in those games as well. Madden joined Al Michaels in calling both championship games on ABC and NBC. Coincidently enough, the Steelers won both games and Madden was a part of multiple historic plays. Between Antwaan Randel-El’s touchdown pass to Hines Ward, Willie Parker’s 75-yard touchdown run, James Harrison’s 100-yard interception return, or Santonio Holmes’ game-winning touchdown catch, Madden was along for the ride for the fans at home and added his classic touch to those plays. Madden’s voice will always be synonymous with historic plays all Steelers fans will watch forever.

Madden left quite a legacy in football. To be such a big part of the 1970’s rivalry between the Raiders and the Steelers, and Steelers fans to continue to praise Madden long after his tenure as coach, that says a lot about what he meant to football. Without Madden’s impact, Steelers’ history would not be what is has become today and we should all be appreciative of what he brought to the sport of football.

Rest in peace, John Madden.

What is your favorite Madden memory? How do you remember him? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Excellent write-up Ben.

As I said in another thread. If Noll is hired by the Raiders in 1969, he would have inherited a 12-2 team coming off a Super Bowl appearance. The Steelers would have not become the gold standard as they did under Noll and without the spectre of the70s Steelers the Raiders with Noll probably win 6 or 7 Super Bowls. Huge bullet dodgers.

Sun Zu’ says your enemies define you… the violence of the raiders defined the chiefs, dolphins, Steelers of the seventies… you were not going anywhere if you couldn’t beat them. The game then was played by real men, older, more dedicated, armed with plaster casts as forearm pads. they weren’t getting payed a lot, they weren’t worried about their social media status, they weren’t taking a knee but instead putting up a black fist! they played football for the love of the game and to beat hell out of each other. they played for the pride and the cities they represented. Raider pride Steeler pride both best reflected the hope and prays, or lack there of, of the cities they represented. Madden was both participant and witness to those clashes of the titans... God speed John! we of the Steeler Nation Salute you! you were worthy!

Great Coach AND great motivator.

Nearing 71 years in age, I absolutely LOVED Stiller-Raider clashes when Noll and Madden coached.

Titanic struggles.

They were a mean SOB football team.......man I hated them back then. And they and their fans hated us. They were like the Ravens-Steelers rivalry of a few years ago. They brought out the best in us,and you begrudgingly had respect for them. Madden’s personality came out behind the microphone. We have lost a true legend and character of the game.

They were a mean SOB football team.......man I hated them back then. And they and their fans hated us. They were like the Ravens-Steelers rivalry of a few years ago. They brought out the best in us,and you begrudgingly had respect for them. Madden’s personality came out behind the microphone. We have lost a true legend and character of the game.
They were 10x harder played than any Steeler/Raven game. You had guys being carried off the field.

Greene1.jpg

never liked madden as a coach

**** everything about the raiders

but he amusing as an announcer

RIP