• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kendrick Green can still be the Steelers’ center of the future

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tuesday morning, Bob Labriola of Steelers.com took to his “Asked and Answered” weekly segment and had some interesting insight on Pittsburgh Steelers‘ first year center, Kendrick Green.

After what many in Steeler Nation believe to be an underwhelming rookie season for Green, speculation has already caught fire as to what position Green should play in 2022. I’m personally always critical of PFF.com, but even they only gave Green an overall grade of 52.4 in 2021. Green had nine penalties this season (tied for 2nd in the league), and had three sacks allowed (tied for 5th in the league) in an already young and subpar offensive line to begin with in the Steel City.

Green played guard in college at Illinois and the Steelers knew that moving to an NFL center would be quite the transition — but far from impossible. Now the question arises however, would Green best suit the Steelers by going back to his natural position?

Although fans may feel enticed by this possible move, Labriola is saying we should hold our horses. Check out what he had to say here in his column this morning:

I cannot predict whether Kendrick Green will be able to turn himself into a quality NFL starter at center, but what I can tell you right now is that Green already is working with Maurkice Pouncey this offseason in an effort to do just that. My suggestion for fans is to be patient through the rest of this offseason, and then we all can judge Green and what his best NFL position will be once training camp begins in late July.

Labriola continued and spoke directly to the position issue:

And also understand this: while fans, outside analysts, former players, and anyone else who can manage to get themselves behind a microphone might believe Green has a better chance to succeed at guard than center, Coach Mike Tomlin is not in that group. And because Green is working with Pouncey, and that Pouncey has agreed to help Green with the transition from guard to center, it seems to me that many of the principals involved are committed to this even if others are not.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

He gave no hints of manning the position without getting his **** pushed in. I like that Pouncey is mentoring him...he has his hands full with that project. This team shouldn't go into free agency thinking Green might be the starter. Not unless the desire is to get whatever QB at the helm massacred.

Doesn’t Labs get paid by the Steelers?

What worries me most about this project is Tomlin's stubbornness to admit when he made a mistake. We may be stuck with this Kid playing center for the whole of his contract just cause Tomlin saw something and likes the kid. Wouldn't be the first time that better players sat on the bench cause he "liked" someone better even though their play was atrocious. Even worse he "likes" green and green fails but he fails to address the need simply cause "buddy" status is more important than the on field product for him sometimes.

Green should get a chance to work on it and see if he can handle it. But if he is anywhere close to his level of play last year you have to move him to guard and or cut bait. Center is a hard position to play and a lot to learn.

What worries me most about this project is Tomlin's stubbornness to admit when he made a mistake. We may be stuck with this Kid playing center for the whole of his contract just cause Tomlin saw something and likes the kid. Wouldn't be the first time that better players sat on the bench cause he "liked" someone better even though their play was atrocious. Even worse he "likes" green and green fails but he fails to address the need simply cause "buddy" status is more important than the on field product for him sometimes.

Green should get a chance to work on it and see if he can handle it. But if he is anywhere close to his level of play last year you have to move him to guard and or cut bait. Center is a hard position to play and a lot to learn.
If he can't make it then he is inside OL depth until his rookie contract ends.

He gave no hints of manning the position without getting his **** pushed in. I like that Pouncey is mentoring him...he has his hands full with that project. This team shouldn't go into free agency thinking Green might be the starter. Not unless the desire is to get whatever QB at the helm massacred.
This is where I'm at. We saw absolutely nothing from him that indicated he could be a legitimate starting center in the NFL. The guy was worse than Hartwig even Mahan. Maybe the light miraculously flips on, but if he wasn't a third-round pick he wouldn't be on an NFL roster right now.

Well what do you know? A blind squirrel get a nut! If you keep it up I might actually worry. I agree.

Although fans may feel enticed by this possible move, Labriola is saying we should hold our horses.

tumblr_inline_oob6xlOQ2H1tc2f3l_500.gif

square peg round hole

or is it

round peg square hole

Salute the nation

Never judge a rookie… especially a rookie starter… guys who are serious about getting better do… like its been said a zillion times… nfl strength training is so much different than college strength… guys come in thinking they are ready and it isn’t close… they have to add muscle mass or get quicker…

This is where I'm at. We saw absolutely nothing from him that indicated he could be a legitimate starting center in the NFL. The guy was worse than Hartwig even Mahan. Maybe the light miraculously flips on, but if he wasn't a third-round pick he wouldn't be on an NFL roster right now.
My problem with Green was his overall strength. We see the chicken legs.

The kid needs more peanut butter and red beans and rice!!!

Love his heart and enthusiasm though!!!

He is so top heavy and already over 300 pounds. He does not have the frame to get bigger and stronger.
Bigger maybe not much. Stronger sure. Foghorn chicken-leghorn has a rookie offseason that this is obtainable. Not sure if it will be enough to make him a legitimate starting C but well WWE is always looking for new talent.

Green won't be a pro bowler this year but he will be much, much improved. He will actually have an NFL offseason to train for his position instead of getting ready for a draft and for OTA's. He will be getting stronger and working on his craft. Having Pouncey mentor him will be huge for him and the Steelers. Green isn't too small to play C but he is currently too small to play G in the NFL so those thinking that can throw that idea out the window unless he puts a solid 20+ pounds on his frame. And, Linderbaum is 10 lbs lighter than Green so there's that for the Linderbaum lovers. I know he's a better C as it's his natural position but it throws out weight being Green's issue. He just needs to learn the techniques to play C. And, for the Steelers sake, we need to hope he does because chances are he will be our starting C again this year. Free agency will tell alot.

I cannot predict whether Kendrick Green will be able to turn himself into a quality NFL starter at center, but what I can tell you right now is that Green already is working with Maurkice Pouncey this offseason in an effort to do just that

giphy-2.gif

Bingo. I've said that many times before.
If he can't make it then he is inside OL depth until his rookie contract ends.
No, he'll be the starting center until his contract ends. If there's one thing Tomlin is good at, it's never admitting he made a mistake.
How many times did he bench Max Starks after Colbert gave him that big contract only to find out that no one else was as good at LT? (Trivia: Starks was the only OL who started in all three SB's.)
Worilds, Uncle Jarvis, Burns, now Bush, all start no matter how bad they are because they're Tomlin's draft picks.

I’m willing to give this kid the chance he deserves to show he belongs in the room..

He has the desire obviously and if he stays committed, I believe he will be just fine

The best stat fir determining his ceiling?

He was benched on the worst offensive line in the league...

A-N-D

His back up showed immeadiate upgrade.!

Salute the nation

Bingo. I've said that many times before.

No, he'll be the starting center until his contract ends. If there's one thing Tomlin is good at, it's never admitting he made a mistake.
How many times did he bench Max Starks after Colbert gave him that big contract only to find out that no one else was as good at LT? (Trivia: Starks was the only OL who started in all three SB's.)
Worilds, Uncle Jarvis, Burns, now Bush, all start no matter how bad they are because they're Tomlin's draft picks.
Then we better get a stud OG in FA to help him develop. He would have Dotson or Leglue on the other side. Draft a RT in round 1 or 2 and there's our Oline next year. However they shuffle it they better sign a top FA Olineman to lead the young guys.

Green isn't too small to play C but he is currently too small to play G in the NFL
Well if he's too small to play G in the NFL and doesn't have the lower body strength and chops to play C, who the hell thought he warranted the #87 overall pick in the draft?

Well if he's too small to play G in the NFL and doesn't have the lower body strength and chops to play C, who the hell thought he warranted the #87 overall pick in the draft?
Klemm