• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny Pickett: “…getting drafted there [to Pittsburgh] would be unbelievable.”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tuesday kicked off the 2022 Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama. The Senior Bowl is an annual invite-only showcase opportunity for college seniors to work with NFL coaches and scouts to help bolster their draft stock. Now that there is only the Super Bowl game left of the 2021 season, football fans are starting to turn their attention to the NFL Draft in April and the Senior Bowl is their first look at who is available. Of course, Pittsburgh Steelers fans are no different. With a laundry list of wants and needs going into the off-season, it is easy to get lost in the various names and who Steeler Nation could see getting selected in the draft. But there is one name that all of Pittsburgh knows, including the Steelers, who may hear his name called with the 20th selection in April.

That name is Kenny Pickett.

Pickett was a four-year starter at the University of Pittsburgh where he made a name for himself in the 2019 season and continued his success through the 2021 season. Pickett not only returned in 2021 to help improve his draft stock after a pedestrian 2020 season, but to also win an ACC championship; and he did just that. Not only did Pickett lead the team to a Power 5 Conference championship, but his 4,319 passing yards and 42 touchdowns resulted in Pickett being elected as a Heisman Finalist. Now that sights are set on the Senior Bowl, NFL Combine, and the 2022 NFL Draft, there is a lot of hope from Pittsburgh that Pickett returns to Heinz Field to begin the post-Ben Roethlisberger era. So, what does Pickett think of that and if he’d like to return to Pittsburgh as an NFL quarterback? Well, Pickett talked about that on Tuesday:

“The possibility of getting drafted there would be unbelievable,” he proclaimed. “Pittsburgh is really my second home, so that would kind of be a dream. It started when I got recruited to Pitt and maybe at the next level. We’ll see what happens.”

The Pitt football team and Steelers share the UPMC Sports Performance Complex for their training and practices. With this, not only do the younger college players get to meet some of the Steelers players and coaches, but the Steelers coaches and scouts get early looks at potential stars who are working towards an NFL career. Pickett highlighted how beneficial that experience was for his development and NFL preparation:

“We see how they go about their business, how they work, go through their walkthroughs, how professional they are.” Pickett continued by saying, “As a young kid coming into Pitt, freshmen and sophomores can see how things are supposed to be done on their practice field.”

In addition to the players, the coaching staffs also collaborate in their respective efforts. Steelers’ offensive coordinator Matt Canada worked with Pickett early in his collegiate career and Pickett’s college offensive coordinator, Mark Whipple, was pivotal in Roethlisberger’s historic rookie season in 2004 as the Quarterback Coach for the Steelers. With so much NFL influence Pickett has received at an early level, he talked about what he learned during his time at Pitt:

“I’m obviously very familiar with Coach Canada as well. He recruited me to Pitt. So I have a great relationship with them [Mike Tomlin and Canada].” Pickett went on to say, “Obviously Ben’s a Hall of Famer. He had an unbelievable career. He was coached by Coach Whipple, which is pretty cool to be coached by Coach Whip who had Ben and then I got to learn from him. A lot of the things he taught Ben, he was teaching me in these past three seasons at Pitt.”

For the older generations, seeing a top-ranked quarterback out of Pitt who may be available for the Steelers in the draft brings back memories of Dan Marino in 1983. The Steelers passed on Marino in favor of defensive tackle Gabriel Rivera and fans today are hoping to avoid any déjà vu this go-around. With the Senior Bowl set to kick off on Saturday, a lot of eyes are going to be on Pickett and if he can appreciate his draft stock.

As we get closer to the 2022 NFL Draft, we will be releasing draft profiles of players to watch for the Steelers. Stay tuned!

Do you think the Steelers should draft Pickett with the 20th selection? Who do you want to see under center in Pittsburgh in 2022? Let us know in the comments!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

if this guy wasn't from Pitt, no one here would give a **** about him
giphy.webp

Would have to move up past Washington for him, I think NYG goes OT, ATL DL/CB and Carolina may be more interested in Howell or Corrall.
As a Consolation I think Corrall could be a good mobile good arm throws a good deep ball and places the ball well for big WR, I think Chase would really evolve with him.
If we stay at 20 then if Davis falls or the best RT left or Green who can play RT and RG
and then I would focus on Ridder in the 2nd and Willis who I feel would a full 1-year red shirt to work on mechanics.

I'd take him if he's there but we have a lot of needs so I don't think I'd trade up to get him.

It doesn’t matter Kenny Pickett or even Aaron Rodgers whoever plays behind this line will not look so hot. We have to fix the issue up front and go invest a 1st in Pickett would be a waste unless they plan on spending money on bringing in someone.

Also, Pickett can’t stop the run or cover .

It doesn’t matter Kenny Pickett or even Aaron Rodgers whoever plays behind this line will not look so hot. We have to fix the issue up front and go invest a 1st in Pickett would be a waste unless they plan on spending money on bringing in someone.

Also, Pickett can’t stop the run or cover .
Remember, we're the team that once scored 42 points in a playoff game and still lost.

“I’m obviously very familiar with Coach Canada as well. He recruited me to Pitt. So I have a great relationship with them [Mike Tomlin and Canada].”

Uh-oh. The haters ain't gonna like that statement.

The only comparison between Pickett and Marino is they both played at Pitt...Marino was 10x the prospect Pickett is

No not really, other comparisons are the stats... Pickett broke all Marinos records.

At 6'3" 220 I'd rather have Pickett then that midget from Alabama.

Isn't the Ohio State QB coming out next year as well? If he has a good year, he will be one of the top QB's in the draft. I would have no problem waiting a year. We will probably have a better draft pick.

He'll be gone be #20, unless they do another Devin Bush-trade-up to grab him. Still would rather have the center from Iowa.

You mean the C that is smaller than Green? LOL. Yes, I know Linderbaum is a natural C and better than Green but everyone kept saying Green was too small but Linderbaum is an inch or two taller and 10 lbs lighter so he is "skinny" compared to Green. I doubt he lasts until 20 based on mocks I've seen but historically C's do last that long.

Isn't the Ohio State QB coming out next year as well? If he has a good year, he will be one of the top QB's in the draft. I would have no problem waiting a year. We will probably have a better draft pick.
The response to that will be:

"I don't want a tOSU QB. They never amount to anything in the NFL. blah, blah, blah."

As if Pitt has been a hotbed of NFL QB talent over the years and Pickett is a continuation of that pattern; rather than an abnormality "IF" he should actually shine.

The response to that will be:

"I don't want a tOSU QB. They never amount to anything in the NFL. blah, blah, blah."

As if Pitt has been a hotbed of NFL QB talent over the years and Pickett is a continuation of that pattern; rather than an abnormality "IF" he should actually shine.
Don't we already have one Buckeye QB on the roster? Two is a crowd. lol

Nah, I think it's because he's pretty good.

There wasn't that much hype about Tyler Palko around here.
Tyler Palko, famous for his "I'm so ******' psyched" comment that went out to a national TV audience after beating ND in South Bend.
I sat next to him at a luncheon about 10 years ago, and he said his grandmother just started talking to him again.

Other than the SB, it's the off season for everyone else. These writers need something to talk about to keep themselves relevant, so they talk about
Pickett to the Steelers.

It's all media hype, as he will be gone at 20, but if he's still there, the pick may be rushed to the podium.

Yes, I know Linderbaum is a natural C and better than Green but everyone kept saying Green was too small but Linderbaum is an inch or two taller and 10 lbs lighter so he is "skinny" compared to Green.
Nothing a couple dozen cheeseburgers can't fix.

Don't we already have one Buckeye QB on the roster? Two is a crowd. lol
Assuming he continues to progress (No guarantee, as we saw at Oklahoma with Rattler), if we had a chance at Stroud, I'd **** can Haskins like Brady did his first baby mama!
*I'd do the same for Young.