• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kevin Colbert Gives Latest Insight on What Could be the Best QB1 Competition in Steelers’ History

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Wednesday, Pittsburgh Steelers outgoing general manager, Kevin Colbert joined The Cook & Joe Show where he spoke to several questions from the radio team regarding the current state of the Steelers’ franchise. One of those questions included Colbert’s thoughts about the upcoming quarterback competition in Pittsburgh.

In early March of 2022, the Steelers acquired quarterback Mitch Trubisky via free agency, and followed that up with drafting Pitt quarterback, Kenny Pickett in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft. Along with seventh round draft pick, Chris Oladokun, and four-year veteran, Mason Rudolph, the Steelers have set themselves up for possibly the best starting quarterback competition in Pittsburgh ever. It’ll at the very least be the first real battle for the position in the last 18 years since drafting future Hall of Famer and recently retired, Ben Roethlisberger.

Steelers Big Ben Kevin Colbert

The Steelers selected QB Ben Roethlisberger in the first round of the 2004 NFL Draft (#11 overall).

Kevin Colbert initiates the team’s plan at quarterback for 2022​

When asked how Colbert dealt with telling Trubisky and the rest of the team that the front office was going to draft a quarterback, this is what Colbert had to say:

“Yeah, everybody was aware, of course, what Coach [Mike Tomlin] and I were doing throughout the spring and we had interacted with Mitch [Trubisky], with Mason [Rudolph], and they understood what we were doing and why we were doing it. And in Mitch Trubisky, we have a young starting quarterback with playoff experience. In Mason Rudolph, we have someone that’s familiar with the system that has started and has won games for us. So when you add Kenny [Pickett] into the mix, we got three young quarterbacks that are going to provide great competition and they all understand and accept it. I can’t say they’re not upset because I’m sure they’re going to hide their emotions and try to play their emotions out on the field. But we’re excited. When you’re trying to replace a Hall of Fame quarterback like Ben [Roethlisberger], you better have more than one option. And I think we do with these three guys that we got. And then, of course, we throw in another quarterback with Chris Oladokun in the 7th round just to have four young quarterbacks that are going to compete for starting positions, depth positions and roster spots. So I think it’s exciting.”

Of course the narrative throughout the entire league over the last several months was that this year’s quarterback draft class was significantly “weaker” than in year’s past. When asked about ultimately whose opinion mattered the most within the Steelers’ organization in terms of choosing a quarterback, if any, and how much weight that decision held versus the opinions of the rest of the team’s in the NFL, Colbert responded with this:

“Yeah, I mean, it’s our opinion always. And again, we started this process early in last spring. At that time, we understood we’re probably entering Ben’s [Roethlisberger’s] last season. We map out our scouting schedules. We saw all these players, all these quarterbacks play live at least three times between myself and the scouts and the directors. Of course, we get into the Senior Bowl evaluations when the coaches are available to help and of course, the Pro Days. So we just felt comfortable. There are 32 starting jobs in this league and this group, there’ll be starters coming out of it. I don’t have any question about that. I can’t say why teams didn’t take them. If they took them later and they took other players, good for them, it worked out. But I think this class over time will be that group, that there’ll be several starters come out of it. But again, we were just so happy that we got the one that we felt was the best.”

Listen to the full interview here:

So what do yinz think? Which quarterback on the current roster gives this team the best chance to win in 2022? Who will be the starter come Week 1 in September? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

On a serious note, why is Kevin even still here ? He has given more interviews as a leaving GM than when he was here with JOB security ?

Where is our new GM and why isn't he commenting on the state of the team fluffed to make him look likehe's leaving a gold mine.

I don't know about the rest of steeler nation but I'm tired of hearing from a has been and want the here now opinion.

What say YE Art Duece, can we get our new GM anytime soon or are we waiting till June 1st designation cut ?

Salute the nation

On a serious note, why is Kevin even still here ? He has given more interviews as a leaving GM than when he was here with JOB security ?

Where is our new GM and why isn't he commenting on the state of the team fluffed to make him look likehe's leaving a gold mine.

I don't know about the rest of steeler nation but I'm tired of hearing from a has been and want the here now opinion.

What say YE Art Duece, can we get our new GM anytime soon or are we waiting till June 1st designation cut ?

Salute the nation
I think this is KC's "job" now.
He doesn't really have anything to do while on the "senior slide".
This is him just going through the motions until 05/31/2022.
I mean, I'm sure he's helping with picking the next GM and making sure he's going to hand this new GM no loose ends and a clean transfer.
But this is usually the "slow" time for GMs anyways.

Salute the nation
It's almost like he's having second thoughts, offering advice for the eventual new GM should they ask him.

I only hope Art II is just being diligent in finding the most qualified person for the position.

You have better odds of cooch becoming a GM.
Lol not necessarily…if tge top three qbs get sucked into a black hole, that guy is the defacto starter until they trade for or sign someone… if the top three gm candidates got sucked into a black hole, coach wouldn’t be the defacto gm… if the top ten thousand get sucked into a black hole, it still probably isn’t coach lol…

It's almost like he's having second thoughts, offering advice for the eventual new GM should they ask him.

I only hope Art II is just being diligent in finding the most qualified person for the position.
I think Kevin's last day (contract-wise) s May 31st but I could be wrong.

In any event why not have the new GM here now, do they really save that much money by overlapping a few weeks ?

Salute the nation

It's KC's swan song. It will be over soon.

Colbert just looking around for the hero send off that BB got,

GOLD

Balck & Gold to be more specific, thanks for the great chuckle and some egg out my nose.............................

Salute the nation

Didn't the Steelers have a legitimate 3 way competition for quarterback where each of Gilliam, Bradshaw and Hanratty had the starting job at one time or another until Bradshaw finally took the reigns for good. I only see Trubisky and Pickett really starting this year barring injury.

Never liked the fact he is the outgoing GM who saddles the new GM with his franchise QB especially when the franchise QB is a middling talent like Pickett. We have seen how quickly new GMs sour on the QB they didn't pick. Very strange this farewell tour from Colbert who has gone from an introvert to a loquacious guy in just a short time.

Never liked the fact he is the outgoing GM who saddles the new GM with his franchise QB especially when the franchise QB is a middling talent like Pickett. We have seen how quickly new GMs sour on the QB they didn't pick. Very strange this farewell tour from Colbert who has gone from an introvert to a loquacious guy in just a short time.
Man their could be a post about the color of the sky and you would come back with something like, it is off blue but now that Pickett was drafted it is now considered grey.

We get it you have proclaimed him a failure before training camp starts. Hopefully you are completely wrong and come back and admit it.

I hope he is an all pro. The point is on Colbert. Don't like the exiting GM saddling the new GM with a franchise QB not of his own choice. Is that too hard for you to understand. It rarely works out when this is the case.

GOLD

Balck & Gold to be more specific, thanks for the great chuckle and some egg out my nose.............................

Salute the nation
And thank the football
Gods that our D stepped up to give him that send off vs those Stains

It ain’t a party til I get the bacon shooting out your nose tho

And thank the football

****** AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Salute the nation

And thank the football

No shitt, BEN owned the Browns his entire career to where it was shameful of how much he owned them.

ONLY to have that **** show for a finish. I still say the FO (tombert) wet the bed on the OL they provided our HOF QB for his swan song ending.

Salute the nation

I hope he is an all pro. The point is on Colbert. Don't like the exiting GM saddling the new GM with a franchise QB not of his own choice. Is that too hard for you to understand. It rarely works out when this is the case.
It is not like he is going to work with the Ravens or Bengals. he is staying with the Steelers in some capacity. yes it is to hard for me to understand. Colbert has been a part of this organization for a long time. We should thank him not curse him

It is not like he is going to work with the Ravens or Bengals. he is staying with the Steelers in some capacity. yes it is to hard for me to understand. Colbert has been a part of this organization for a long time. We should thank him not curse him
I am two foId want to thank him for always bringing a decent amount of talent to the room. But in free agency for years I had mix feelings on what was accomplished or should I say what wasn't accomplished. Just think it is a good thing to get some fresh ideas in the room.

Opinion, do you think this process has been say normal in terms of time or taking longer than it should? IMO it seems it's taking to long but that's just me.
Didn't seem to take as long when they hired Colbert. So maybe no so normal in that aspect. As far as appropriate time length I would have actually liked the new GM in place before the draft to assist with his viewpoints, maybe even welcomed fresh ideas.. But if the process being lengthy means they hire an upgrade I am all for it. To me a lengthy process means you weren't so hell bent on what you had inhouse. Just this man's opinion...