• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Lions vs. Steelers (Preseason Gm 1) - Game Day Thread

FordFairLane

Reaction score
From what I saw.

QB- Jones to me looked much better. He had a couple of big drops one was DHB where he put the ball just out of the DB reach and landed it in DHB breadbasket. One from Coates that would have moved the chains. And at least one other. So he looks to me improved.

Bruce looked mediocre at best and at his age I would say cut him, keep Jones and if an injury happens give Bruce a call.

Vaughn looked decent. Very good escapability and live arm. Not the most accurate but I liked how he secured the ball and kept the play alive. Not sure if he's still ps eligible but that's a good place for him.

RB- Richardson has nice speed and burst. A little more wiggle and he'd have had took two to the house.

Toussaint is pretty versatile so I feel we keep 4 backs easy with Bells suspension.

WR- Coates... omfg!

Eli Rogers was as advertised. I feel he will be a nice slot guy.

Demarcus Ayers looked electric the little we saw him. I would like to see more of him because he seemed to catch the ball well and was elusive with it.

TE- The outlaw looked good not great. Dropped a pass as the defender was draped on him early. A play I seen heath catch a hundred times regardless of interference.

OL- Villanueva was beat like a rented mule. Wouldn't doubt Harris gets his shot starting next to see him vs ones.

Hawkins looked decent.

DL- Mathews looked awesome. Might have found a diamond in the rough.

Hargrove looked stout and quick.

McCullers looked good.

OLB- Harrison still has it.

Chickillo did nothing spectacular.

ILB- Shazier looks like he's running in fast forward.

Fort looks good and is quick.

Williams looked good.

CB- Doran Grant looked awesome. Johnny on the spot with the pick six. Was tight in coverage. At this point lets hope Burns can develop in a year or two and replace Gay.

Gay looked tough again. If Grant keeps looking good I like our starters outside.

Davis looked lost at times and missed some tackles. I think he will get better but you need to wrap up in this league or Anquon Boldin scampers off for 30 more yards.

S- Shark to me looked good. He jumped a route and actually over jumped it otherwise he'd likely picked it but nearly did. He put himself in position for another pick but pass was deflected and changed trajectory.

Mitchell looked good.

Golden looked good.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
From what I saw.

QB- Jones to me looked much better. He had a couple of big drops one was DHB where he put the ball just out of the DB reach and landed it in DHB breadbasket. One from Coates that would have moved the chains. And at least one other. So he looks to me improved.

Bruce looked mediocre at best and at his age I would say cut him, keep Jones and if an injury happens give Bruce a call.

Vaughn looked decent. Very good escapability and live arm. Not the most accurate but I liked how he secured the ball and kept the play alive. Not sure if he's still ps eligible but that's a good place for him.

I previously stated in another thread that they backups were so bad that I would consider keeping two QBs. Now that Gradkowski is injured and could potentially miss some time, I wonder if they'll give that a serious consideration or if they'll sign Vick again. Vaughan looks the part of a decent QB until the ball leaves his hand. His accuracy is poor.

WR- Coates... omfg!

Eli Rogers was as advertised. I feel he will be a nice slot guy.

Coates didn't even resemble the guy I watched in practice, though I read he had a tough day on Wednesday. Still, you expect much more from a third-round pick in year two. Rogers was impressive in his limited opportunities. Definitely has the looks of a keeper and a solid contributor moving forward.

DL- Mathews looked awesome. Might have found a diamond in the rough.

Hargrove looked stout and quick.

I was pretty worried about the depth at defensive end, but Mathews was active and in the backfield. I don't expect him to do that against a starting offensive line, yet I think he'll offer much more than Cam Thomas. Hargrave was as advertised. He needs some work, but he flashed his ability to rush the quarterback.

Davis looked lost at times and missed some tackles. I think he will get better but you need to wrap up in this league or Anquon Boldin scampers off for 30 more yards.

S- Shark to me looked good. He jumped a route and actually over jumped it otherwise he'd likely picked it but nearly did. He put himself in position for another pick but pass was deflected and changed trajectory.

Davis had a rough start, however, he was still always around the ball. It was the first time in quite awhile that I was able to watch Thomas on defense and feel that he didn't look completely lost.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't expect much from Shark this year except depth, maybe goal line or short yardage safety and special teams. But he seemed to have a better understanding of his coverage responsibility. I wonder if spending all that time with Troy didn't hinder his progression. Troy was a rogue defender going off of instincts. Something you can teach or learn. Maybe working with coaches to understand defensive scheme and responsibility helped. I have a little hope for him again.

diver

Reaction score
no... putting in game plans, especially early, can cover forpoorinstincts and hide physical woes... you use preseason to find guys worth developing, and gameplanning can skew that greatly.

That's a good point.

I just look at it as putting guys in position to be successful. You know you have more confidence when you have success. But I see what you are saying.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
That's a good point.

I just look at it as putting guys in position to be successful. You know you have more confidence when you have success. But I see what you are saying.

Diver who cares about their confidence if they aren't going to be on the team.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Where is Coach to tell us how sorry Sean Davis is going to be because Boldin make him look silly on one play. Probably at Chickillo house trying to figure out why he didn't show up to the game last nite

P

POP

Where is Coach to tell us how sorry Sean Davis is going to be because Boldin make him look silly on one play. Probably at Chickillo house trying to figure out why he didn't show up to the game last nite

IDK,but Davis looked exactly like his detractors warned: poor coverage and missed tackles.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
IDK,but Davis looked exactly like his detractors warned: poor coverage and missed tackles.

That's only one game he may can improve. That was chickillo 6th preseason game I don't remember a substantial play yet..but hey he looks good in practice and should start according to some or one

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Good point. OK. I'm wrong on this one.

Another insight on the Steelers view pre season

Even though the Steelers play the Eagles during the first month of the regular season, Tomlin isn't worried that he will show too much during their preseason game. “We're aware that we play them later in the year, but we're just not at that point in our development where that's a strong consideration,” Tomlin said. “That's more about evaluation of guys, and putting them in position to show what they're capable of doing.”

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope we sit the major talent as long as possible...we have a long road ahead and very high aspirations...

I'm 100% with on on this Berm. I think it is a good policy to never play probowl/all pro/ 10+year veterans AT ALL in the preseason. No reason to get these guys injured going up against scrubs, trying to make a name for themselves. If Tomlin sits the top 10 best players on our team for all of preseason, I think it will become the new norm for us, and it's a smart coaching move.