• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Looking at 2024 UFAs, ours and who to target?

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

1st off, this has got to be one of our LEAST SIGNIFICANT heavy free agent lists I can recall in Pgh. But it's kind of like your salary cap: the more successful you are the harder you get hit. If you're not a very good team, you have less worries. So here we are.

Our biggest FA players? CB Levi Wallace, DE Montravius Adams, S Miles Killebrew, LB Kwon Alexander, S Marcus Golden, CB James Pierre, CB Chandon Sullivan, WR Miles Boykin, QB Mason Rudolph, RB Anthony McFarland (RFA), CB Elijah Riley. I think it's safe to say if we lost every FA we had, it wouldn't be a major loss I like Kwon a little, but, with his injuries...Boykin is a special teamer only. McFarland has NEVER proven to be of any value, slight value aa return man. Levi is hot and cold, mostly cold. But with such a dearth in quality coaching, it's hard to say who is a good player or not. The team is basically a colossal cluster f--k at this point.

I'm gonna guess even with a new GM we will still resemble Steeler football in FA: no stars signed. with that in mind, what FA would be a possible nice pick up?

QB help? I've seen some suggest Kirk Cousins. His biggest attribute is making huge $ for his skill se. It ain't happening in Pgh. There is little else out there at QB as it stands now. Hey what about Baker?

WR help? Curtis Samuel could be OK as a cheaper pick up. He's had some decent years and is only 27.

There are several decent CB who may be out there.

Honestly, I am dumping Mitch. Shouldn't have extended him this offseason. I would have probably dumped his salary last year to be honest. Post June 1st saves us like $3m. I take that and sign either Baker Mayfield or Garner Minchew. That is going to eat up the Mitch money. Then I try to resign Rudolph. Then draft a QB. Then you make it an open competition in camp. Not a Tomlin open competition where the starter was predetermined. But an actual open competition.
Then I cut Chuks that saves 3.5m and use that savings to sign Trent Brown for $3m. I move Jones to LT and again have an open competition where Jones would easily bear Moore.
I then sign Lloyd Cushenberry if I can. Otherwise, draft Jackon Powers-Johnson to be our center.
I then cut Patrick Peterson and sign Sean Bunting. Same type of player just Bunting costs 3.5m instead of 10m. I then draft a CB pretty high as well.

Honestly, I am dumping Mitch. Shouldn't have extended him this offseason. I would have probably dumped his salary last year to be honest. Post June 1st saves us like $3m. I take that and sign either Baker Mayfield or Garner Minchew. That is going to eat up the Mitch money. Then I try to resign Rudolph. Then draft a QB. Then you make it an open competition in camp. Not a Tomlin open competition where the starter was predetermined. But an actual open competition.
Then I cut Chuks that saves 3.5m and use that savings to sign Trent Brown for $3m. I move Jones to LT and again have an open competition where Jones would easily bear Moore.
I then sign Lloyd Cushenberry if I can. Otherwise, draft Jackon Powers-Johnson to be our center.
I then cut Patrick Peterson and sign Sean Bunting. Same type of player just Bunting costs 3.5m instead of 10m. I then draft a CB pretty high as well.
Patrick Peterson signed a 2 year, $14,000,000contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, including a $5,850,000 signing bonus, $5,850,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,000,000.
Quoted from Spotrac.

Not that I am defending Patrick Peterson. Or the fact that he should be cut. At least get your figures right. You are way off.
Trent Brown signs for 3 million? Bunting for 3.5? I highly doubt it.

Patrick Peterson signed a 2 year, $14,000,000contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, including a $5,850,000 signing bonus, $5,850,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,000,000.
Quoted from Spotrac.

Not that I am defending Patrick Peterson. Or the fact that he should be cut. At least get your figures right. You are way off.
Trent Brown signs for 3 million? Bunting for 3.5? I highly doubt it.

Pre-june 1st cut 2.925m dead money 6.850m cap savings.

Bunting played under a 1 year 3.5 million dollar deal so no reason to believe he would get much more than that.
I must've looked at Browns salary not cap hit. But depending on incentives he made between 5.75m and 8m. Considering he will be 31 this offseason I doubt he increases his salary demands. If not there's Jermaine Eluemunor who has played the last two years under 1 year 3m deals.

Last edited: