• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

MAJOR SCOTUS decisions handed down today.......

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
WIN for Conservatives on both issues.....

Corporations CAN have religious beliefs and therefore do NOT have to provide contraception that goes against their beliefs (ie The Morning After Pill).

NON Union members cannot be forced to pay Union dues. (I didn't even know this was possible, but apparently it was).

Liberals' heads are exploding.

ark steel

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't see the second one. If that means what I think it means, big loss for the unions.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
This was a big issue in CA teacher's unions. Interested in seeing how this plays out.

bmoritz

Reaction score
Good, finally some good rulings lately. Of course, the four liberal rejects had to tank their stand for stupidity.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Apparently there was a woman (I don't know what state this lawsuit originated from- Illinois maybe) who was caring for her disabled son. Her disabled son got Medicaid and the SEIU was taking union dues out of her son's Medicaid check!!!!

I don't know how that was even legal to begin with!

Vader

Reaction score
Roberts ****** up the AHC ruling so it's about time he got a few right.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Obama and the Dems slapped down again. Gotta love it! This is more fuel to the fire for Boner to proceed with his lawsuit, even if it is just a political move.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
WIN for Conservatives on both issues.....

NON Union members cannot be forced to pay Union dues. (I didn't even know this was possible, but apparently it was).

I can remember when I worked in San Diego, National Steel Shipbuilding had a policy that you could either chose to be union or non union. And working for the Government was that way too I chose to be union because at the time they offered dental insurance and the Government didn't.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
Great decision. They make the seasonal helpers at UPS pay dues on their ****** holiday wages.

diver

Reaction score
I still don't understand that decision. Makes no ******* sense.

Every once and a while, even someone as accomplished as Roberts, falls into the trap of wanting to be loved. There was a lot of pressure on him at that time if you recall, as everybody knew 4 were against and 4 were for it. He was the deciding vote. I think it is really as simple as that. He caved to the need to be loved by the right people.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I still don't understand that decision. Makes no flipping sense.

Somebody got to somebody, to make that somebody side with the somebody who did the getting to somebody.

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
The Supreme Court has ***** slapped the Oministration in the past week. Last week, they ruled that B. Hussein illegally made appointments. They ruled today on Hobby Lobby, a devastating blow to Obamacare, and the Union ruling is a HUGE one.

Three, major losses.

And the WhiteHouse came out today and said the Supreme Court has now put women's health at risk. Really? Because without mandatory-company-provided contraceptives, women can't get access to birth control? Rich. Rich indeed.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Every once and a while, even someone as accomplished as Roberts, falls into the trap of wanting to be loved. There was a lot of pressure on him at that time if you recall, as everybody knew 4 were against and 4 were for it. He was the deciding vote. I think it is really as simple as that. He caved to the need to be loved by the right people.

Agree. And that's ****** up. SCJ's need to be able to leave their personal feelings and ideaologies out of their decision making processes......if you think about it it should be as easy as falling off a log. Well, there it is in black and white....you can do this, you can't do that! Too many times they want too badly to be considered "deep thinkers" and leave their "mark."

The Supreme Court has ***** slapped the Oministration in the past week. Last week, they ruled that B. Hussein illegally made appointments. They ruled today on Hobby Lobby, a devastating blow to Obamacare, and the Union ruling is a HUGE one.

Three, major losses.

And the WhiteHouse came out today and said the Supreme Court has now put women's health at risk. Really? Because without mandatory-company-provided contraceptives, women can't get access to birth control? Rich. Rich indeed.

The left thrives on hyperbole and manufactured crises.

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score

That's what I'd like to know. Libtards can spin a loss anyway they like.

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll regret trying to impart some reason in this discussion, as I'm not a fan of Obamacare in any sense either, but Obamacare does not mandate that employers provide contraception. Obamacare mandates that companies with more than 50 employees must provide health care coverage of some kind for those employees. The government health care plan is only one option, and it happens to be accompanied by favorable tax incentives for those companies that choose to leverage it. That government plan is required to cover contraception.

Companies like Hobby Lobby are not required to take the government health care plan. They are highly incented to do so, but not required. They could shop for their own plan to includes the services and coverages that they wish to give their employees, and not the ones they have religious or moral objections to. And shoulder a heavier tax burden as a result, but that's because the point of a government program should be to leverage economies of scale - having an a la carte model where everyone can pick and choose what they want or don't want is not the most efficient and economical approach.

I find it ironic that the same people that will ***** that companies absolutely should be able to act like an individual in terms of having religious freedom are also the same people that want to ***** when companies make these same claims on individuals' rights to achieve things they don't agree with. If you put aside the religious aspect of this particular story, it's ludicrous to think that a company of any size has any "rights" comparable with a person, like freedom of religion or freedom of speech.

Vader

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll regret trying to impart some reason in this discussion, as I'm not a fan of Obamacare in any sense either, but Obamacare does not mandate that employers provide contraception. Obamacare mandates that companies with more than 50 employees must provide health care coverage of some kind for those employees. The government health care plan is only one option, and it happens to be accompanied by favorable tax incentives for those companies that choose to leverage it. That government plan is required to cover contraception.

Companies like Hobby Lobby are not required to take the government health care plan. They are highly incented to do so, but not required. They could shop for their own plan to includes the services and coverages that they wish to give their employees, and not the ones they have religious or moral objections to. And shoulder a heavier tax burden as a result, but that's because the point of a government program should be to leverage economies of scale - having an a la carte model where everyone can pick and choose what they want or don't want is not the most efficient and economical approach.

I find it ironic that the same people that will ***** that companies absolutely should be able to act like an individual in terms of having religious freedom are also the same people that want to ***** when companies make these same claims on individuals' rights to achieve things they don't agree with. If you put aside the religious aspect of this particular story, it's ludicrous to think that a company of any size has any "rights" comparable with a person, like freedom of religion or freedom of speech.

The exchanges are only part of the issue. The ACA changed even private insurance. That's why a ton of those "bad" policies were cancelled last year. They didn't meet the new standards in place through the ACA. I don't know if all plans (private and through the exchange) are required to have contraception. But I'm pretty sure all "new" plans have to cover it. That's why BHO lied about keeping your old plan. He knew they were going to be thrown out but he couldn't afford to let people know it. So he lied. So Hobby Lobby was going to have to pay for it regardless of where they bought the plan.

ark steel

Reaction score

I don't think that is exactly correct. I think ACA forces companies to provide coverage that fits some 'basic standards' regardless of where the policy is purchaged. One of those "basic standards" is that it offers contraception coverage at no addition charge to the person who is getting the coverage. It isn't just that the policy has to offer the coverage, it has to do so at no additional underwriting for those participants in the policy.

The difference in this requirement and directly requiring private companies to pay for contraceptives is negligible. The premium increase for adding contraceptives to ALL policies increases the cost of each policy such that the total overall increase in premiums is, probably, slightly higher than if everyone in the policy had just gone out and bought contraceptives. Of course, it is much higher for the individuals who wouldn't have bought contraceptives and somewhat lower for those who would have because everyone else in the policy is forced to pay.

Last edited:

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
if free contraceptives helps rid the world of more liberals and their 5-votes to my one, i'm all for it

Spike

Reaction score
Today’s score:

Freedom 2

Tyranny 0

ark steel

Reaction score
if free contraceptives helps rid the world of more liberals and their 5-votes to my one, i'm all for it

What makes you think they won't vote regardless of whether they are born or not? What do you have against non-birthed people? Man, you just ******* hate everyone. Racist, sexist, ageist and now unbornist.

Spike

Reaction score
ha ha

CNN Headline News

Supreme Court Rules Against Obama!

9f27cbf50d692ef27483a4af49c61e3c120446d9

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw King Obama on Fox News and boy is he pissed.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got a breaking news Fox alert on my phone that said Bammy is going to circumvent Congress on some immigration reform laws. This jackass just doesn't GET it!!!