• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mark Madden: It's unrealistic to think the Steelers can reload right away

It's already been state in this thread, but you can absolutely turn around a bad team in one offseason. The key is you need a QB.

Using the Bengals as an example, they have a terrible offensive line, but a great QB and receiver. Defensively they made some very shrewd signings and got an absolute steal with the big money contract they gave Hendrickson. You just have to find the right mid-tier guys to fill out the roster. The QB is literally the only thing that holds teams back from one-year turnarounds. Madden swung and missed on this one.

Another thing to remember is that it is possible that some of the Steelers current young players CAN get better despite the recent trend of them hitting a ceiling or getting worse (Bush, Claypool, Edmunds, Washington, etc.)
"Recent trend" is the operative word. It seems that our best players have to be guys who were very good out of college like Heyward, Watt, and Harris. Guys who need a little development like Claypool, Bush, and Greene, Coach Shades & Staff don't usually seem to be able to make them better.

It's unrealistic to have a great team in 1 year, but nobody seemed to have a great team in 2021. In 1 year you can have a team that will compete for playoffs.

"Recent trend" is the operative word. It seems that our best players have to be guys who were very good out of college like Heyward, Watt, and Harris. Guys who need a little development like Claypool, Bush, and Greene, Coach Shades & Staff don't usually seem to be able to make them better.
Thats probably cause his lame answer is the players aren't executing. He too stupid to realize that by saying that its a indictment of his leadership and coaching. How anybody buys what this idiot is selling anymore is beyond me. Last coach i heard that spoke like this was Jason Garrett here in Dallas. Universally regarded as a terrible head coach but Jerry loved him for some reason. Sounds very very familiar.

It's already been state in this thread, but you can absolutely turn around a bad team in one offseason. The key is you need a QB.

Using the Bengals as an example, they have a terrible offensive line, but a great QB and receiver. Defensively they made some very shrewd signings and got an absolute steal with the big money contract they gave Hendrickson. You just have to find the right mid-tier guys to fill out the roster. The QB is literally the only thing that holds teams back from one-year turnarounds. Madden swung and missed on this one.
To do what the bengals did you needed not only the 1st pick of the draft but also a true future all pro QB in that draft.

Even if we got the QB, our receivers aren't even remotely the caliber of the Bengals receivers. And we're still going to be running Matt Canada's offense.

To do what the bengals did you needed not only the 1st pick of the draft but also a true future all pro QB in that draft.
I like what the Rams did. But to do that our free agency has to do a 360 and actually pick the right players. Sort of puts our team in quite a conundrum. Which pathway are they the most capable. The answer just might be neither.

Even if we got the QB, our receivers aren't even remotely the caliber of the Bengals receivers.
I wouldn't say that. Claypool has a high ceiling. It just is a matter of if he will not if he can.

I wouldn't say that. Claypool has a high ceiling. It just is a matter of if he will not if he can.
The potential is there considering his physical tools. Thus far he's shown inconsistency and a lack of maturity for the most part.

it's going to take longer than that. Maybe just Maybe if the stars align and we shove some horseshoes up our butts so that we hit on every draft pick and free agent being a just decent starter then maybe. Nothing in Tomlin's tenure has shown me that we will even hit on 3/4 of our picks from one draft let alone two. This team has a lot and i mean a lot of holes. I mean how long have we been waiting for Tomlin and company to hit on DB in the draft (his area of expertise). we need a few of those. I fully understand being optimistic but have to be realistic. Even the best Coach and GM tandem would need a lot of luck and innovative ideas to build this team up in two drafts. we have no innovative ideas, not even sure who our next GM will be and a coach heavily involved in the draft that misses more often than he hits.
Any given sunday