• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mason Rudolf------------- Coach to his strengths

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Article is from the Home Page here at STEELERNATION.COM, well worth the read.

My Take: It is a waste of time / energy to bring Mason back if all they are going to do is play TOMLIN turtle ball.

The 3 games ending season, where play called to Rudy's strengths, opened up the field and we got great play.

The 4th & PO game, showed the turtle ball of the Tomlin ERA. Must change that aspect.

Salute the nation

He was the best QB on the Steelers Roster.
He was for a certain time frame yes. I firmly believe it is time to "try" to upgrade the position. You aren't doing that by bringing him back to compete...

He was for a certain time frame yes. I firmly believe it is time to "try" to upgrade the position. You aren't doing that by bringing him back to compete...
How? We have so many needs that even if we get a marquis QB he would struggle. Build that line first, get more weapons, get a defensive line, another good CB, then worry about the next great QB. If one falls in our lap, cool, but the cost of a good QB will kill our chances of getting the necessary foundation fixed, IMO.

How? We have so many needs that even if we get a marquis QB he would struggle. Build that line first, get more weapons, get a defensive line, another good CB, then worry about the next great QB. If one falls in our lap, cool, but the cost of a good QB will kill our chances of getting the necessary foundation fixed, IMO.
Either approach you aren't going to far right away IMO. So it sort of for me is see who is there. I don't mind your approach but if a clear QB BPA is there you upgrade. Or in free agency a guy they view to be a possible upgrade there you try to obtain him. Such a critical position to wait to see what transpires elsewhere...

First, I think Rudy would be best to take the better offer somewhere else, rids him of jaded competition.

Second, slash has it right, neither Kenny nor Rudy appear to be the future. I'd go for BPA provided it is a very high talented pick that appears to be able to start near right away. **** this waiting and coddling, to a degree.

Third, fire Mitch and move on to more positive type hire.

Although Russel Wilson appears attractive, he would eat up "cap" space and is old......... pass

We as fans think Kenny or Mason are pretty good because of the ****** system they played in. I don't think you get that lucky by getting a FRANCHISE QB in your first attempt, which this is Tomlin's. A QB Guru he is NOT.

Salute the nation

I think if Rudy would have been given a fair chance to compete this year he would have started all year and possibly gotten better as the year progresses. How do you get better if you don't play. my personal feelings are Tomlin has NEVER given Rudy a fair shake. hell he was on a short leash to the Duck.

Tomlin has no clue as to how to develop any player let alone the QB position. So does it really matter who we have at QB?

I think you have to give KP another chance under the new OC. You do’t draft a player in the 1st and not at least give them a few years. This will be year #3 for KP, I think he gets at least #3 & #4 before you completely throw in the towel. There are too many holes that need to be addressed to chase an over the hill QB who won’t even get you through the rebuilding phase. Now is the chance to FINALLY address the ”foundation” issues over the next 2 years. They have talent on O to see if KP is going to be the guy. If not, then you have the foundation in place for the next guy in 26.

I think if Rudy would have been given a fair chance to compete this year he would have started all year and possibly gotten better as the year progresses. How do you get better if you don't play. my personal feelings are Tomlin has NEVER given Rudy a fair shake. hell he was on a short leash to the Duck.

Tomlin has no clue as to how to develop any player let alone the QB position. So does it really matter who we have at QB?
My issue is and has always been my only real issue with Mason, his propensity to stand in the pocket and make the throw come hell or high water. It is a strength to a large degree but will get him killed the way it did against Baltimore in 2019 with that illegal but uncalled blow to the head that knocked him out. He would need to find the middle ground between him being a statue and Kenny's recent bailing out to early. Whomever finds the middle ground of those two, assuming Mason even comes back, Would be fine for us at least for a few years.

I think you have to give KP another chance under the new OC. You do’t draft a player in the 1st and not at least give them a few years. This will be year #3 for KP, I think he gets at least #3 & #4 before you completely throw in the towel. There are too many holes that need to be addressed to chase an over the hill QB who won’t even get you through the rebuilding phase. Now is the chance to FINALLY address the ”foundation” issues over the next 2 years. They have talent on O to see if KP is going to be the guy. If not, then you have the foundation in place for the next guy in 26.
Agreed mostly. Year 3 for sure unless Mason comes back and just kicks his *** in preseason and learns to move better to keep himself alive. By year 4 he better have shown real improvement or we start looking seriously. YOu don't want to cut bait too fast or you end up like Cleveland who may have gone a long way if they still had Baker.

it is a waste to bring him back anyway

he is what he is

a decent back up

move on and roll the dice with someone else
If you wanna win 10 games and make 7th seed by all means bring him back. If you wanna decide once and for all if Kp is your guy.......don't. If you think he almost certainly is not you can bring Rudolph in and have a truly open position battle.

The only way MR should return is if it’s made 100% clear to him, KP is the starter and the prospective future of the franchise. That it’s made 100% clear, he is and will be for them, an excellent #2 that has proven he can come in and win a few regular season games when needed to do so, but there’s no expectation that he could elevate the team past the level of competition they’d face in the playoffs.

And, if KP cannot prove himself to be among the elite QB’s in the league, capable of leading the team to a championship, then the Steelers will have to continue to search for that person, for MR to back up.

Lightning strikes every now and again, where a team is so good that, when a #2 is called to service, they are able to steer a team to a championship, ie. Jeff Hostetler for the Giants way back when, or Nick Foles for Phili a few years ago. Mason could be that guy, if the stars align, but like those guys, when they were snapped up to lead a franchise that thought they could, they settle back down to what they are… a quality back up QB.

Last edited:
Either approach you aren't going to far right away IMO. So it sort of for me is see who is there. I don't mind your approach but if a clear QB BPA is there you upgrade. Or in free agency a guy they view to be a possible upgrade there you try to obtain him. Such a critical position to wait to see what transpires elsewhere...
I agree.

The only way MR should return is if it’s made 100% clear to him, KP is the starter and the prospective future of the franchise. That it’s made 100% clear, he is and will be for them, an excellent #2 that has proven he can come in and win a few regular season games when needed to do so, but there’s no expectation that he could elevate the team past the level of competition they’d face in the playoffs.

And, if KP cannot prove himself to be among the elite QB’s in the league, capable of leading the team to a championship, then the Steelers will have to continue to search for that person, for MR to back up.

Lightning strikes every now and again, where a team is so good that, when a #2 is called to service, they are able to steer a team to a championship, ie. Jeff Hostetler for the Giants way back when, or Nick Foles for Phili a few years ago. Mason could be that guy, if the stars align, but like those guys, when they were snapped up to lead a franchise that thought they could, they settle back down to what they are… a quality back up QB.
You don't think that was said to him this past season? If he gets zero offer again this off-season and the Steelers are willing to bring him back....he will be back. If he gets any real offer I think he is gone.

Article is from the Home Page here at STEELERNATION.COM, well worth the read.

My Take: It is a waste of time / energy to bring Mason back if all they are going to do is play TOMLIN turtle ball.

The 3 games ending season, where play called to Rudy's strengths, opened up the field and we got great play.

The 4th & PO game, showed the turtle ball of the Tomlin ERA. Must change that aspect.

Salute the nation
Well that may be true but you saw Mason noodle-arm throw that sh*t INT in the endzone in the playoff game. That was a game-changer. He looked like the Mason of past 5 years.

Mason aint gonna get any better. Maybe next year the Steelers could worse opponents that make Mason look Pro-Bowl?

He was the best QB on the Steelers Roster.
No he WAS NOT. ingrates. ingrates everywhere. KENNY PICKETT won that game for the Steelers! Lest we all forget maybe 6 weeks later because Noodle-arm throw a handful of TD passes.

If you wanna win 10 games and make 7th seed by all means bring him back. If you wanna decide once and for all if Kp is your guy.......don't. If you think he almost certainly is not you can bring Rudolph in and have a truly open position battle.

That has no relevance to Rudolph. He only played in 4 games.

Well that may be true but you saw Mason noodle-arm throw that sh*t INT in the endzone in the playoff game. That was a game-changer. He looked like the Mason of past 5 years.

Mason aint gonna get any better. Maybe next year the Steelers could worse opponents that make Mason look Pro-Bowl?

And we've seen Wison, Darnold, Brady, Watson, you name it...throw int's in the end zone.

Oh wait did I forget someone?

Ben Roethlisberger’s baffling end-zone interceptions spell …

th

WebOct 29, 2020 · Bottom Line for Big Ben vs. the Titans: Roethlisbeger threw two passes longer than 20 yards. Both were intercepted. Sure, the …
  • Estimated Reading Time: 5 mins

But those must have been the receiver's fault.

And we've seen Wison, Darnold, Brady, Watson, you name it...throw int's in the end zone.

Oh wait did I forget someone?

Ben Roethlisberger’s baffling end-zone interceptions spell …

th

WebOct 29, 2020 · Bottom Line for Big Ben vs. the Titans: Roethlisbeger threw two passes longer than 20 yards. Both were intercepted. Sure, the …
  • Estimated Reading Time: 5 mins

But those must have been the receiver's fault.

Well that's true. But then look at Mason's throw. It wasn't a bad decision - it was a floppy duck.
Throw to the side endzone: it had so much air on it that the DB was able to move from inside leverage across the receiver and intercept the ball a foot off the ground. F*ck.

Right now the Steelers do not have proven Franchise QB on the roster. They do have a proven b/u in Rudolph (if he will sign again), hopes in KP, and a failed reclamation project that is Trubisky. I think for the right money, you bring back Rudolph as the b/u who could possibly start if things go south. You then draft a QB later as a possible option 2-3 years down the road. Maybe he then becomes the b/u eventually. 26 is the year you go after a QB early if you need to. This is not the time to be Cleveland and pick a new QB every year.

Get that much needed Center, O Tackle, D Lineman, Linebacker, Cornerback and Wide Receiver in the next two years. Fix the foundation so IF you are forced to pick another QB, you can do it early and not have to do it while also needing to still fix foundation issues.

Reactions: GMC
Spot on. It will take an offer around 8M/ yr for masons agent to agree. They were paying mitch something like that. If you only offer him 4 I think his agent would find better offers.