• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Maybe we don't draft a running back at all

Personally I think what the Steelers have on the Roster is COMPLETLY unknown with the exception of Conner (who is starting quality that cannot stay healthy). Put yourself in the shoes of an opposing DC for a minute. What would have you been preparing for non stop once Ben was injured. There is no chance you can truly measure the running backs on the roster based upon what you saw last year.

I am ok with a WR in the 2nd if they are BPA , but I am hoping that it is a big physical one. I don't necessarily agree that the NFL is still about throwing the ball. There is a large influx of QBs like Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, etc. that are more about being mobile than pocket passers. Even Mahomes displays this attribute.
Most of the teams that were successful in this years playoff run relied heavily on the run game.... Tennessee, San Francisco most notably and I think Damien Williams of the Chiefs was the most integral part of the Chiefs run next to Mahomes. Things evolve over time and I think the NFL is pulling away from the dominant throwing era.
The top OT will be long gone in the 1st round but hopefully the top G/C will still be available to us.

QB. OT, Edge and WR seem to be the shiny toys most available in this draft......... so it may push some talent down to us in the 2nd from the other positions

Those ground games were a product of great offensive lines. Only Tennessee had a true workhorse, big name back. The other teams mentioned were a bunch of nobodies coming into the league and made the most of their opportunities. While I would like a big receiver, I wouldn't be against a guy like Hamlar either. He's small but will be one of the fastest deep threats in the league.

And as far as Tomlin not allowing "one RB to play enough to see what they can do"; You realize your statement is the exact opposite of what he does, right? Tomlin, likes to use one RB to the exclusion of all others if possible (i.e. "till the wheels fall off").

Thank you for pointing that out. I had to rub my eyes when I read that about Tomlin not allowing one RB to play enough. Fast Wills, Mendenhall in his short stay, most recently LevBell. Ride em’ till the wheels fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I would look at the draft this way now rnd 2 C/OG Ruiz Lemieux, Bredeson
rnd 3 RB Moss/NT
rnd 4 WR Peoples Jones, Johnson texas, Pittman
rnd 4 S/LB Muse
rnd 6 LB/S Hudson, S Hawkins cal
rnd 7 NT
top priority udfa P Charlton or ohio ST P

im wasnt in favor of drafting a rb early, but i can see it as a possibility now.
after addressing the oline and upgrading the TE position, i can see those positions not being as much as a priority.
i think i would rather let our rb corp work its self out this year with a healthy conner and ben

What do you guys think if Chase Claypool is there in the second?

Cdn boy fits the big body WR on my wish list.
Could be a possibility
It is not like we are going to see the likes of CeeDee Lamb fall to us , so guys like Claypool are on the radar of the second tier WRs range
If Cushenberry, Biadasz, J Taylor and Dobbins are gone he becomes more favourable

NFL Research

@NFLResearch
Chase Claypool at the 2020 NFL Combine

• Bigger than Cameron Wake

• Faster than Odell Beckham Jr.

• Stronger than Jared Allen

• Jumps higher than Julio Jones

• More explosive than Devin Hester@ChaseClaypool @NDFootball

View image on Twitter
11:31 PM - Feb 27, 2020

Last edited:
keep the running backs and get a healthy fullback. Tomlin does not seem to allow one running back to play enough to see what they can do.

Both TJ & JJ WATT have a pretty healthy brother/......................... Maybe we could get him...........HHHhahahahaaaaaa (just messing)

I too am curious as to how much "RUN" game we aquired with the signing of little brother. I don't think we go all RUN RUN RUN unless TOMLINS feels we have an extra WHEEL to fall off.

What I do see is a little more run but a closer balanced offense. With BEN at the helm the pass can't be ignored. It's the "if BEN isn't at the helm" that would take us DIRECTLY to the play / Personel that would allow "D's" to tee off. I don't see Randy Fitchner being able to create plays that help a struggling offense in that regards. ADD in the NON-X / Os OF TOMLIN and we'd be right back to last year's ending.

POSITIVE NEWS though, next season is an ODD number of games so the "ODDs" tomlin goes 8-8 is pretty slim.

Salute the nation

Both TJ & JJ WATT have a pretty healthy brother/......................... Maybe we could get him...........HHHhahahahaaaaaa (just messing)

I too am curious as to how much "RUN" game we aquired with the signing of little brother. I don't think we go all RUN RUN RUN unless TOMLINS feels we have an extra WHEEL to fall off.

What I do see is a little more run but a closer balanced offense. With BEN at the helm the pass can't be ignored. It's the "if BEN isn't at the helm" that would take us DIRECTLY to the play / Personel that would allow "D's" to tee off. I don't see Randy Fitchner being able to create plays that help a struggling offense in that regards. ADD in the NON-X / Os OF TOMLIN and we'd be right back to last year's ending.

POSITIVE NEWS though, next season is an ODD number of games so the "ODDs" tomlin goes 8-8 is pretty slim.

Salute the nation

I think we are a pulling G and a RB short. Perhaps that will be the first two picks.

im wasnt in favor of drafting a rb early, but i can see it as a possibility now.
after addressing the oline and upgrading the TE position, i can see those positions not being as much as a priority.
i think i would rather let our rb corp work its self out this year with a healthy conner and ben

We had a versatile OL leave and we brought in a (upgrade) versatile OLman. We lost a starting gaurd....... YES we do need a high pick OL at G or C. I'd say with the offseason moves we realigned to have only two desperate positions and that being

1). OL preferable a gaurd

2). ILB preferable a COVERAGE type

ALL the rest are sustainable but always looking for up-side in the draft.

Salute the nation

Salute the nation

17 game season starts in 2021

I follow Notre Dame so I tend to believe I have a blind spot for those players plus obviously with Claypool being a Canadian Kid it is double. So I try not to over hype their players. And one thing I will say is this from a production standpoint. Basically, Notre Dame feasts on some **** opponents and has let downs against the bigs. However, the physical tools Claypool possesses really checks a lot of boxes. And I'm happy with Johnson no question. Good player, could be very good or even great. But Metcalf was a very polarizing player I wanted last year. Clearly, in my mind Seattle jumped ahead because they thought the Steelers were taking. He worked out pretty damn good. In fact, I think the Pats out thought themselves on that one. Pretty sure they just wish they had taken him.

That might just ending being the same thing as "next season"

As opposed to this season !!!

Paul, great minds think alike Cope, WAKE up buddy !!!! hhhHHHhahahahaaaa

Sakute the nation

see tanner muse as a 4th rnd pick a como hybrid guy that is better suited for S but for certian plays can hover neer the L.O.S to blitz and seal edges.