• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Measles another example of crisis driving loss of freedom (probably)

I fully expect federal legislation mandating certain vaccinations. Not a stretch for flu shots to be the next target.

I'm expecting that as well. I can say that I have NEVER had a flu shot....and OMG....I have NEVER had the flu!!!!!

I'm expecting that as well. I can say that I have NEVER had a flu shot....and OMG....I have NEVER had the flu!!!!!

Same with me. My son has asthma and has one every year, with no ill effects, but as far as myself and my daughters, it was not recommended for healthy kids when thy were babies, and I kind of feel like, if it's not broke don't fix it. When we get old and frail the risks of getting to flu get much greater, so I may start getting them at some point.

I have a general question. If you you and your kids are vaccinated, why do you care if me and mine are - or anyone else's are?

There are a certain percentage of kids that for Health reason such as auto immune deficiencies or Cancer can not be vaccinated. Their only protection is everyone who can be vaccinated providing a wall of protection around them to keep the disease away. Allowing people to choose not to be vaccinated infringes on the health of others and as such I fully support mandatory vaccinations for everyone who is not medically eliminated from having them. Even being Conservative/Libertarian this falls under my view of my having freedom except to the point that it infringes or endangers others freedoms like ,LIFE , liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If enough people not vaccinating causes loss of herd immunity then it is infringe on my right to life if I can not be vaccinated for real medical reasons.

There are a certain percentage of kids that for Health reason such as auto immune deficiencies or Cancer can not be vaccinated. Their only protection is everyone who can be vaccinated providing a wall of protection around them to keep the disease away. Allowing people to choose not to be vaccinated infringes on the health of others and as such I fully support mandatory vaccinations for everyone who is not medically eliminated from having them. Even being Conservative/Libertarian this falls under my view of my having freedom except to the point that it infringes or endangers others freedoms like ,LIFE , liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If enough people not vaccinating causes loss of herd immunity then it is infringe on my right to life if I can not be vaccinated for real medical reasons.
That is a strong argument. If the numbers are as this doctor says - "The risk of experiencing a major problem from the vaccine is roughly less than 1 in 40,000. In contrast, studies show 1 in roughly every 333 people who contract measles will die from it." http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertpearl/2015/02/05/measles-vaccination-must-be-mandatory/

Should the government force people to take a 1 in 40,000 chance of a major problem if these are the numbers? Not a trivial question. Probably. My OP point was that I believe it was the government sanctioned influx of illegal immigrants last year that caused this spike in measles and caused this discussion and likely (in my view) government action. We need to protect ourselves from ourselves. Not going to argue that again, just restating my original point.

That is a strong argument. If the numbers are as this doctor says - "The risk of experiencing a major problem from the vaccine is roughly less than 1 in 40,000. In contrast, studies show 1 in roughly every 333 people who contract measles will die from it." http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertpearl/2015/02/05/measles-vaccination-must-be-mandatory/

Should the government force people to take a 1 in 40,000 chance of a major problem if these are the numbers? Not a trivial question. Probably. My OP point was that I believe it was the government sanctioned influx of illegal immigrants last year that caused this spike in measles and caused this discussion and likely (in my view) government action. We need to protect ourselves from ourselves. Not going to argue that again, just restating my original point.

As strongly as I feel about the immigration issue, I think this is more about misinformed parents here than the kids coming here as illegal immigrants. While I agree keeping the disease out is a good thing I do not think it trumps prevention. It only takes one person with measles to start an outbreak if we go down the road of not vaccinating enough people. In fact it could open the door to possible malicious and intentional introduction of preventable disease into our population if we are not willing to take the almost perfectly safe step of immunizing who we can against what we can. This has possible national defense implications to it as does immigration.

In summary one does not make the other any less important in my view. We need strong but fair immigration laws and strong but fair rules for Vaccinations.

I see your point. But being we are no longer a representative government I wonder where one would draw the line. Government mandated vaccinations. You see no potential issues there?

I see your point. But being we are no longer a representative government I wonder where one would draw the line. Government mandated vaccinations. You see no potential issues there?
I see yours and that is a tough one to answer, particularly with the current resident at 1600. Looking at it with a narrow focus I think it is a no brainer but yes we have to be careful with the powers we give Washington.
We need to get back to a point where they fear us not us them.

We need to get back to a point where they fear us not us them.

We are so far away from this that I think most people are just happy to still have their first amendment rights. This is a very sad time for America. It is nothing like what the founding fathers envisioned. Yet we are not dead yet and the pendulum generally swings pretty hard, so I still have some hope.