• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mel Kiper’s Initial Mock Draft Has Steelers Selecting Quarterback in First Round

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt, because mock drafts are hardly ever correct, but the verified draft “expert” in Mel Kiper of ESPN has the Pittsburgh Steelers selecting a quarterback at pick #20 in the upcoming 2022 NFL Draft. While Malik Willis and Kenny Pickett were off his board at #20, Ole Miss quarterback Matt Corral was not and in what presumably is Kevin Colbert‘s last first round pick ever for the team, Kiper has the Steelers taking the 6’2″, 205-pound signal caller.

Kiper is assuming in this that the Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Falcons, and Minnesota Vikings all pass on a quarterback in the first round which does not seem likely to happen. I would guess that at least one takes a shot in the first round.

Corral has posted two consecutive seasons with a completion percentage over 67% and threw for 3,349 yards and 20 touchdowns in 2021. He had just five interceptions and added 614 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns. Kiper notes that the Steelers are in need of a mobile quarterback and could be immediate contenders if they resolve their situation at that position. Corral and the Rebels posted the first winning record in his time there at 10-3 this past season.

While it remains to be seen if the Steelers will add a quarterback through free agency, via trade or the draft, mock draft season is upon us and Corral will not be the only quarterback to be projected to the Steelers over the next few months. Time will tell who will be tasked with the job of filling Ben Roethlisberger‘s shoes at the helm of the offense.

Who do you think the Steelers will target with the 20th overall pick? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

"Corral and the Rebels posted the first winning record in his time there at 10-3 this past season."

Not sure what this sentence is trying to say because it is so horribly written. However the Rebels have had a lot of winning seasons. I also know they've won 10 games before. So it makes no sense at all.

I don't think Corral and Pickett will be there at the #20 spot when we select. Panthers and Falcons will need QB's and really have a feeling that is what they will do. Willis who is more a guy that has a high ceiling but needs lots of work I think will be there when we pick but can't see us taking him when the attention needs to be OL and DL first.

It always amazes me the number of teams that reach for QB every year. Willis seems to be the only QB with even a chance to be a franchise guy and he is a big if. The other guys dont even seem to have the tools. Hopefully they are all off the board before we draft so the temptation is gone

I'm also so sick of hearing about we need a mobile QB. We need a QB who is accurate, has the arm strength to make all the throws, and can read a defense on the fly, those things are required to be a long term franchise QB, otherwise you get Cam Newton. If he is mobile too great, but not at the expense of accuracy, arm strength, and intelligence. And QB's arent mobile forever, that's why Mahomes is long term great and Newtons career is all but over. Ben used to be a mobile QB but was sustainable well into his 30's because he had the most important qualities that last longer

Fix the line and you dont need a mobile QB, are Marcia and Rodgers mobile QB'S?? Guys like Majomes are great but there aren't in plentiful supply, they are freaks. There are a lot more bad versions of them who will never be franchise level guys like Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield, hopefully we are not dumb enough to insist on "the right color of paint" if the paint sucks

Last edited:
Pickett's the only QB worth taking in the 1st and I doubt he'll be there at #20. As for the others, it seems every year there's a group of sub-standard QB's who get over hyped and pushed up the draft board into the 1st round, QB's who aren't even 1st round worthy.

optimistically, if we were to sign a good OL coach and be able to get a FA RT worth a damn, roll LeGlue or Dotson to RG and have Hassenauer re-sign, that might be a competent OL. as such, a first round QB wouldnt be out of consideration.
though i dont much care for this crop

It always amazes me the number of teams that reach for QB every year. Willis seems to be the only QB with even a chance to be a franchise guy and he is a big if. The other guys dont even seem to have the tools. Hopefully they are all off the board before we draft so the temptation is gone

I'm also so sick of hearing about we need a mobile QB. We need a QB who is accurate, has the arm strength to make all the throws, and can read a defense on the fly, those things are required to be a long term franchise QB, otherwise you get Cam Newton. If he is mobile too great, but not at the expense of accuracy, arm strength, and intelligence. And QB's arent mobile forever, that's why Mahomes is long term great and Newtons career is all but over. Ben used to be a mobile QB but was sustainable well into his 30's because he had the most important qualities that last longer

Fix the line and you dont need a mobile QB, are Marcia and Rodgers mobile QB'S?? Guys like Majomes are great but there aren't in plentiful supply, they are freaks. There are a lot more bad versions of them who will never be franchise level guys like Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield, hopefully we are not dumb enough to insist on "the right color of paint" if the paint sucks

GREAT post, thank you

FIX the OL was last year's battle cry and it didn't happen. I just hope some QB who is talked up way more than his ablility which causes Coach Tomlin to become infactuated and take doesn't happen.

Salute the nation

optimistically, if we were to sign a good OL coach and be able to get a FA RT worth a damn, roll LeGlue or Dotson to RG and have Hassenauer re-sign, that might be a competent OL. as such, a first round QB wouldnt be out of consideration.
though i dont much care for this crop

I hear you Supe but just curious as to that good offensive line coach.............. would we be able to call audibles before the completion of week 4 games.?

If there really is quality QB there (not a project) then yes but my gut says wait till next year's '23 draft

Salute the nation

Depends on your definition of mobile. I just want a guy who can be shifty in the pocket, roll out on occasion and run for a first down at times when necessary. I don't want a Cam Newton because you are right.

Maybe the Steelers will jump up in the draft.

Maybe the Steelers will jump up in the draft.
What a ******* nightmare.

Sacrifice any hope you have of improving either offensive or defensive line, OR the middle linebacking corps so you can get a QB who will either sit on the bench behind Rudolph or be killed by week 4.

Awesome! Let's DO IT!

Reactions: GMC
No matter what trends come and go, one thing never changes:location. We are a cold weather city on a natural grass surface. You better be able to run the ball and control the line of scrimmage, and your QB better have a big enough arm to deal with the wind when you have to pass. When it’s 10 degrees, snowing, and the wind is whipping off the rivers you better be tough and able to win gritty low scoring games. That being said, FIX THE OFFENSIVE LINE and don’t pander to the sexy pick of the moment.

Mocks seem pretty useless until you see the results of free agency

Don't we have that dude already on the roster?
Dobbs will look good in pre-season for ... just going on memory ... a game or three, then revert to the same player he was in college. Really not sure why he's got such a disconnect when he gets on the field.

I would prefer to Corral us a different QB.

reminder that this is what Mason brings to the table

reminder that this is what Mason brings to the table

Man that guy is painful to watch. I would have to double up on my drinks Sunday and triple them Saturday to prep for drinking Sunday.

This year we need to be extremely active in free agency. Get a starting olineman and staring corner.
Then at 20. Get bpa on oline or dline.

If we start Haskins then we probs get the number 1 pick overall in 2023. Get franchise qb then