• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Tomlin has a Distinct Competitive Advantage Over all NFL Head Coaches

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin is now entering his 16th season in the NFL as a head coach, all with the same team: the Pittsburgh Steelers. Only Bill Belichick has a longer tenure with the New England Patriots, yet even he has not matched Tomlins’ excellence of never having a losing season. As a result, the Steelers usually pick players in the bottom third of the draft, yet still find excellent talent like TJ Watt, Cameron Heyward, Maurkice Pouncey, and Najee Harris.

Outside of football, Tomlin has a passion for empowering young black youth and fathers alike through his mentor programs like ‘Man Up’ to improve the communities in Pittsburgh, as well as his hometown of Hampton Roads, VA. With his success of being the longest tenured black head coach (by 15 years), paired with his honest, open way of communicating, young football players remember the times vividly when they interact directly with Coach Tomlin.

Malik Willis said he had dinner with Mike Tomlin on Mon. night.
“He was eating chicken wings. He’s like a normal dude.”

— Joe Person (@josephperson) March 22, 2022

Meeting with Malik Willis could have been overwhelming, but Tomlin has a way of making players feel at ease when he’s building relationships through the draft process. This is now Tomlin’s 16th offseason, and he does not draft every person he meets with, but he does create relationships so when some of those players become available through cuts, or free agency, Tomlin’s clout of being a coach players want to play for, builds with each season. Coach Tomlin now becomes a reason why free agents like Ahkello Witherspoon want to play in Pittsburgh.

Steelers cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon on a Zoom call today, on why he re-signed here: "I enjoy playing with my brothers, enjoy the city of Pittsburgh, and just on top of being coached by such a great coach by Mike Tomlin, it just made the decision pretty easy."

— Brian Batko (@BrianBatko) March 28, 2022

Dwayne Haskins was taken 15th in the 2019 NFL Draft, so Pittsburgh did not have a chance to pick him up in the draft, but they were able to grab him as a free agent when he was cut by the Washington Commanders. Haskins respects the Steelers organization and Coach Tomlin specifically:

“I wanted to be a quarterback my entire life. To be the quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers is a dream. I remember watching Ben Roethlisberger when I was a young kid in 2004 and watching him play, so I’ve always had great respect for the black and gold, I have great respect for Coach Tomlin, you know the guy has had 15 seasons without a losing record. So for me, I want to be able to show him that I want this bad, focused, I want to be a leader, and be the guy that people can rely on, on and off the field; more than just a guy that can throw the ball and talented enough to be in a position to execute at a high level and keep the Steelers way.”

Even this season, with a glaring need at strong safety, Mike Tomlin has the ear of top free agents like Tyrann Mathieu, so when coach Tomlin called, Honey Badger answered:

“I mean, just being able to have this time with family though, it’s cool. But I still try to enjoy the process. It’s still cool talking to all the coaches, the different coaches, cause some of these guys man. Mike Tomlin calling your phone. He like ‘Hey oh, this Mike T’, you know, so just being able to talk to these guys, man.”

As Mike Tomlin continues to direct the Pittsburgh Steelers, his legacy and respect grows. He knows how to create personal relationships through Senior Bowls, NFL Combines, and Pro Days, and those relationships are now giving the Pittsburgh Steelers a competitive advantage when it comes to landing talented football players during free agency.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I find it hilarious that Tomlin can talk to a free agent about winning Championships and that free agent doesn't just google the last time the Steelers have actually won a Championship.
hush

As somebody else said, Tomlin is a great recruiter. He should let somebody else handle clock management, challenges and all other in-game coaching decisions.
I've always said Tomlin seems to get overwhelmed in key situations and makes awful in game decisions. And it really hasn't improved over the years. I realize the game moves unbelievably fast on the sidelines especially compared to being at home on the couch.

I still don't understand why NFL coaches don't hire bench coaches that help with in game decisions much the way MLB managers have bench coaches. Joe Torre was a run of the mill manager until he had Don Zimmer sitting at his side. There's so many older former coaches that aren't able to handle the long hours and daily grind of game planning and being a HC that would be of great value especially on game day. They seem to have coaches for everything else but not this. It just doesn't make sense.

As somebody else said, Tomlin is a great recruiter. He should let somebody else handle clock management, challenges and all other in-game coaching decisions.
A year or two back, they were supposed to hire someone to assist with challenges. I don't think it lasted long, if at all.

I find it hilarious that Tomlin can talk to a free agent about winning Championships and that free agent doesn't just google the last time the Steelers have actually won a Championship.

I was thinking "just a playoff game"

Salute the nation

I was thinking "just a playoff game"

Salute the nation
Getting ragdolled and beaten like a red headed step child in the playoffs isn't pleasant. It's kinda silly saying Billiecheat hasn't even gone without losing seasons with the cheats....err um 6 super bowl championships, 9 appearances, 9 afc championships...**** getting irked.

Here we are getting our doors blown off consistently in the playoffs. Maybe a little less rah rah I'm a players coach and more like a warlord.

He can’t get qualified assistant coaches

I wonder if they could make a rule about hiring practice............................ for all clubs.!

Getting ragdolled and beaten like a red headed step child in the playoffs isn't pleasant. It's kinda silly saying Billiecheat hasn't even gone without losing seasons with the cheats....err um 6 super bowl championships, 9 appearances, 9 afc championships...**** getting irked.

Here we are getting our doors blown off consistently in the playoffs. Maybe a little less rah rah I'm a players coach and more like a warlord.

Accountability............................ you have to hold all to it and not let a few players off........................... regardless of talent

Salute the nation

His “advantages” over other coaches is the fact he coaches for the pittsburgh Steelers who don’t fire head coaches, come hell or high water. Every coach in nfl would give a leg for that kind of commitment maybe tomlin’s best days are ahead of him maybe Steelers will be repaid for patience kinda happened with cowher we’ll see cuz he ain’t going nowhere.. GoSteelers!

His “advantages” over other coaches is the fact he coaches for the pittsburgh Steelers who don’t fire head coaches, come hell or high water. Every coach in nfl would give a leg for that kind of commitment maybe tomlin’s best days are ahead of him maybe Steelers will be repaid for patience kinda happened with cowher we’ll see cuz he ain’t going nowhere.. GoSteelers!
Cowher had playoff wins, we had hope.

Yes he does, the advantage of ownership and a large part of the fan base that thinks what Tomlin is doing is championship football.

If Mike Tomlin limited himself to the things he was really good at and knew and supported himself with top x and o guys he would have at least one more SB. I firmly believe that.

That's not going to happen. But no losing seasons. Maybe next offseason the owners will agree on everyone getting a participation trophy just for making the playoffs. A regular season trophy for a winning record.

That way everyone can feel like a winner.

..sarcasm

Mike Tomlin eats chicken wings? I'm sold.

Mike Tomlin is a slightly above average coach who can't get us to the next level yet.

There is NOT a single thing about his team that is inovating or new to the NFL. No identity, no main stay, nothing notorious other than blown out playoff losses.

Until he can make us a winning / playoff bound with wins / fully identified TEAM, he will be just above average if he keeps his non-losing season alive.

Salute the nation

He is just a guy that has been carried by a HOF QB his entire career and the great Steelers organization. If he had been hired by any other team he would have been fired after 3 years. Tired of his bullshit verbal salad and getting destroyed time and time again in the playoffs.

Somehow there's a disconnect between never having a losing regular season and his ability to win playoff games.
Mike Tomlin is a slightly above average coach who can't get us to the next level yet.
As someone said a while ago, he is a slightly better version of Marvin Lewis with a better team owner.

Maybe Flores can be that guy in his ear this year helping with decision making, I mean he's followed him around the pro day circuit like they were conjoined twins