• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Tomlin on Kendrick Green Position Change: “I’m open to it.”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The NFL Owners Meetings are underway and Pittsburgh Steelers head coach, Mike Tomlin spoke with some of the local press about the upcoming season, in particular the offensive line. Tomlin was asked about the possibility of switching 2nd-year center Kendrick Green to guard for the upcoming season.

Asked if he will switch C Kendrick Green to guard in 2022, Mike Tomlin said, "I'm open to it."

— Gerry Dulac (@gerrydulac) March 27, 2022

This move is something that has been highly speculated after the busy free agency period saw the Steelers bring in former Chicago Bears lineman, James Daniels and Minnesota Vikings lineman, Mason Cole. Green could benefit moving back to his natural position of guard, but the Steelers have placed themselves in a pretty unique position.

Right now, there are three interior offensive line positions open for four players: Green, Daniels, Cole, and Kevin Dotson. Everyone but Dotson currently has experience playing center in their NFL career, so the combinations are endless. While Daniels and Cole are assumed to be starters in some capacity this season, that would leave Green and Dotson battling for the third spot, but not necessarily against each other. While I expect the interior to be Dotson-Cole-Daniels from left to right, with Green being the backup center/guard, General Manager Kevin Colbert gave some food for thought:

"Anything we did in free agency doesn't preclude us from taking another player at any of those spots we added players." — Colbert

— Mark Kaboly (@MarkKaboly) March 27, 2022

This is something to take into consideration given this will be Dotson’s third year on the roster and there were reports last season that coaches were unhappy with how he showed up to camp. It was even rumored Trai Turner was brought in for a visit to replace Dotson initially before David DeCastro ultimately retired the following week, leading to Turner’s signing.

The Steelers could be in more of a cut throat mentality moving forward as they continue to battle the never ending star power joining the AFC. If they see a prospect at pick No. 20 they deem could be better than what they have, while also helping clear the way for Najee Harris in the running game, I would not be surprised to see them pull the trigger.

What do you think, #SteelerNation? How should the offensive line shape up? Drop a comment below!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I think Green and Cole are a wash... Cole is going on his 3rd team, no one seems to want to commit to the guy. Any of those players is a major improvement over Trai.

I think Green and Cole are a wash... Cole is going on his 3rd team, no one seems to want to commit to the guy. Any of those players is a major improvement over Trai.
Cole will be starting at C or G depending where they like Daniels.

He might be but he is still a player no one has thought enough of to keep... Green's off-season and a good camp might get him the starting role. I like Daniels as an upgrade over Trai and I hope Dotson pulls it together.

I am not so sure Green can beat out BigDot. I am open to him sitting on the bench in the event he loses that battle.

Two excellent posts slash, thank you

I truly hope if a stud OL is there we take him, we need a Penning !!!!

I think GREEN was a little reach for center but he is a 3rd rounder and could be GREAT depth or even possibly start at gaurd.

I also hope that Coach Tomlin decides early who is playing where. Last year he went right up to opening game day moving and trying positions with players, that didn't work well and took the OL till week 4 to show anything "gel" wise.

I'm excited for this season because of the additions we have aquired and I'm anticipationg the draft much more thanks to the education you and many others have been so patient to help we with.

Salute the nation

They should give Green a shot at FB if he's not going to win a starting job at C or G.

I'd laugh my *** of thinking this was a joke......................... but then thought hell yeaH

Salute the nation

We now have Daniels, Cole, Dotson, and Green at IOL, all starters. Someone is going to be the odd man out. 4 dogs, 3 bones. Training camp will be very interesting...

52 snaps at FB for Watt in 2021 for the 2nd highest paid FB in the league. Obviously, we need Green at this ever important position for depth. Couldn't find snap totals for last year but I do seem to remember him getting 1 rush. If Green can't convert we better start finding some competent depth for this ultra important position in our Offensive scheme. Maybe blow that last wad of spare cash for free agency/draft class on a complimentary highest paid FB in the league that we won't use. You can never have enough FB options.

Maybe he won't, but I like his chances against a player no team saw enough value in keeping.
You have some really odd takes.

Players become free agents some fit better in a different scheme, some just need a change in scenery. Some were too pricey so the club went for a cheaper option. Some were in a crowded room. Some are just not good enough. But the odds are Green sits. He was horrible in his starts. Maybe he gets better, but nothing points to an easy path for him to start based off last seasons play. They brought in not one but two capable centers.

I like Green's chances to ride the bench. based on last year's **** show.

You have some really odd takes.

Players become free agents some fit better in a different scheme, some just need a change in scenery. Some were too pricey so the club went for a cheaper option. Some were in a crowded room. Some are just not good enough. But the odds are Green sits. He was horrible in his starts. Maybe he gets better, but nothing points to an easy path for him to start based off last seasons play. They brought in not one but two capable centers.

I like Green's chances to ride the bench. based on last year's **** show.
It's not an odd take at all... I could say it's an odd take to think he can't improve, I could say it's an odd take to expect a rookie to play at a high level at a new position. My take is simple, Green has a chance to beat out Cole if he shows improvement. Maybe Dotson stinks it up and they do move him to OG.

It's not an odd take at all... I could say it's an odd take to think he can't improve, I could say it's an odd take to expect a rookie to play at a high level at a new position. My take is simple, Green has a chance to beat out Cole if he shows improvement. Maybe Dotson stinks it up and they do move him to OG.
We didn't expect him to play at a high level. We did expect him to show improvement which never came. Green has a chance to beat out Cole if he improves..... No **** Captain obvious. He has an even greater chance to sit his *** on the bench. His odds become even greater of failure moving him to guard to to size restrictions.