• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Tomlin Took QB Malik Willis to Dinner on Monday Night

I notice he pats the ball when not pressured before throwing. I always heard that is a very bad trait for a QB, especially in the NFL and one that is hard to prevent via coaching. I have such a bad vibe with this guy....not since the Troy Edwards pick.

It's good for the movies but not so good in the NFL. That habit will get you picked / killed / sacked / stripped and then some. I don't know how hard it is to correct but it needs correcting. I played with this guy who had to "jump" everytmie he caught a pass, even on stuff that was right to him. I unloaded on him everytime and blew that ball out weather a hit or my arm / hand breaking in because it was so obvious what his move was going to be. I was just a defensive end who was very fast and had coverage assignments.occasionally.
NFL players will tee off on that telegraph.

Salute the nation

My eye test tells me Malik Willis has many, many of the skills of Patrick Maholmes & a young Michael Vick, both who dominated the NFL
If Willis turns out to be the next Patrick Mahomes I'll eat my words. Mahomes had the ability in his first year as a starter to place the ball in a very tight window and was completing what looked like impossible passes. I don't see Willis having that quality, but we'll find out soon enough. The Steelers have too many other holes to fill than reaching on a QB, whether it be Willis, Pickett, Coral, or any of the rest.

Why?
Malik does not possess accuracy, anticipation and struggles with his second level reads...
you asked why Zappe wasn't a first rounder...what the hell does Malik have to do with that?

From the limited couple hours of Zappe's tape I've watched (and Senior Bowl) because who the hell watches WKU??? I see a guy with poor footwork that puts most of his throwing into the arm and looks like nothing more than a developmental backup to me. Literally nothing blew me away by the guy. He can hit open guys but doesn't seem to throw them open and a lot of one read stuff account for his completions (against the future burger flippers of America). I really would question his abilities at the NFL level where his "athleticism" will be dwarfed by real athletes. Thus the 3-5 round grade. Sure as hell wouldn't call him a first rounder.

you asked why Zappe wasn't a first rounder...what the hell does Malik have to do with that?

From the limited couple hours of Zappe's tape I've watched (and Senior Bowl) because who the hell watches WKU??? I see a guy with poor footwork that puts most of his throwing into the arm and looks like nothing more than a developmental backup to me. Literally nothing blew me away by the guy. He can hit open guys but doesn't seem to throw them open and a lot of one read stuff account for his completions (against the future burger flippers of America). I really would question his abilities at the NFL level where his "athleticism" will be dwarfed by real athletes. Thus the 3-5 round grade. Sure as hell wouldn't call him a first rounder.
I spelled it out for you... Zappe excels at key components for a QB and Malik does not... I guess if you don't think accuracy, anticipation and struggles with second level reads are not important then that's fine because Malik lacks all of that... Zappe definitely needs work but when it came time to play the the power 5 teams he did not struggle and played well... Malik's entire career was against future burger flippers.
None of these guys are round one talent but I would rather have a QB that can throw with accuracy, anticipation and does not give up on progression just to run.

If Willis turns out to be the next Patrick Mahomes I'll eat my words. Mahomes had the ability in his first year as a starter to place the ball in a very tight window and was completing what looked like impossible passes. I don't see Willis having that quality, but we'll find out soon enough. The Steelers have too many other holes to fill than reaching on a QB, whether it be Willis, Pickett, Coral, or any of the rest.
Mahomes also sat as a rookie, and sporadic accuracy was a concern with Mahomes too coming out. People seem to forget Mahomes was graded as a mid to late first rounder, many mocks had him getting drafted late first round. Hindsight makes geniuses of us all

The Steelers waited all those years between Bradshaw and Ben for a reason. Guys like Mahomes don’t grow on trees. And Willis is not Mahomes. Willis is an average passer but a good athlete. Even in a down year for QB’s in the draft, there is nothing special or elite about him. Besides, too many other needs.

Why aren't the talking heads pushing Zappe in the first round...
Played well at HBC then jumped up in competition and excelled. Even games against power 5 schools he played well.
Good size
Strong Arm
Throws with anticipation
Very good accuracy
Pocket awareness
Mobile enough to by time
Historically throws TD;s and not many INT's...
Has Coach borrowed your devices connected to the internet???

I spelled it out for you... Zappe excels at key components for a QB and Malik does not... I guess if you don't think accuracy, anticipation and struggles with second level reads are not important then that's fine because Malik lacks all of that... Zappe definitely needs work but when it came time to play the the power 5 teams he did not struggle and played well... Malik's entire career was against future burger flippers.
None of these guys are round one talent but I would rather have a QB that can throw with accuracy, anticipation and does not give up on progression just to run.
You are missing the point
I never said Malik was good
You said zappe was vood
Wtf does Malik have to do with Zappe?

Don’t be a dumbass and try to come at me with this “you spelled it out for me” ****

When I need you to spell something out for me I’ll ask…someone who actually has some decent knowledge of the situation

Aren’t you the same guy that was crushing on a Jordan Love a week ago when he was your flavor of the day? Now Zappe? Lmfao, the draft can’t get here soon enough

You said zappe was vood

Don’t be a dumbass and try to come at me with this “you spelled it out for me” ****

When I need you to spell something out for me I’ll ask…someone who actually has some decent knowledge of the situation

Aren’t you the same guy that was crushing on a Jordan Love a week ago when he was your flavor of the day? Now Zappe? Lmfao, the draft can’t get here soon enough
You are both right, neither of these QBs are a first round talent but Willis is a better QB than Zappe. #1, Zappe played in the C-USA conference playing against scrub competition and even then, lead the team to a 9-5 record. Lets start with that. couple that with his footwork is lazy on the drop, cements on the hitch, and he doesn't open his hips on his throws...you can see this by watching his front foot as the rule is "point your toe where you want to throw", so his core isn't engaging enough on his throws. He stares down his WR, throws a wabble ball, and his rate of spin isn't good at all averaging 4 rotations per 10 yards (intermediate throws) Willis averages 5.5 rotations and throws a tighter spiral. Lastly, Zappe has a slow release and defensive linemen will eat his lunch at the NFL level knocking down balls at the LOS.

That is partly why he isn't talked about as a first or even second rounder. He has some positive attributes as well, but his issues exceed them and I really don,t see him excelling at the NFL level.

You said zappe was vood

Not being a dumbass, you made a dumbass comment... That's a you problem.
I did spell it out for you, if you want to waste a 1st round pick on a guy that played **** competition, lacks accuracy, anticipation and struggles with progressions that's fine.
My stance is that not one QB is worth a 1st round pick they all have some sort of warts but the accurate QB, the QB that can make reads and go through his progression will out shine the strong arm that can't do that.

And no I was not crushing on Jordan Love a week ago, you might want to gain "some decent knowledge of that situation"
Now let the bitching and moaning begin because I am not taking your ****. 3-2-1

Last edited:
You are both right, neither of these QBs are a first round talent but Willis is a better QB than Zappe. #1, Zappe played in the C-USA conference playing against scrub competition and even then, lead the team to a 9-5 record. Lets start with that. couple that with his footwork is lazy on the drop, cements on the hitch, and he doesn't open his hips on his throws...you can see this by watching his front foot as the rule is "point your toe where you want to throw", so his core isn't engaging enough on his throws. He stares down his WR, throws a wabble ball, and his rate of spin isn't good at all averaging 4 rotations per 10 yards (intermediate throws) Willis averages 5.5 rotations and throws a tighter spiral. Lastly, Zappe has a slow release and defensive linemen will eat his lunch at the NFL level knocking down balls at the LOS.

That is partly why he isn't talked about as a first or even second rounder. He has some positive attributes as well, but his issues exceed them and I really don,t see him excelling at the NFL level.
Willis does have the stronger arm and is a much better runner, I agree to that. Have you seen the schedule that Liberty has played? C-USA looks like the SEC compared to that garbage. There is not even a question Zappe played in a harder conference against better players. As I said before Zappe has issues as you pointed out but he is still accurate, has proven to show anticipation with his throws and has the ability to move in the pocket and go through his reads.
Accuracy and going through reads are more important to me than 1.5 difference in rotations on a football and running... They are all 2nd round QB's or lower and I was never saying Zappe was or should be ranked higher I just think it's ridiculous that people will ignore some of the most important attributes a QB needs.

Willis does have the stronger arm and is a much better runner, I agree to that. Have you seen the schedule that Liberty has played? C-USA looks like the SEC compared to that garbage. There is not even a question Zappe played in a harder conference against better players. As I said before Zappe has issues as you pointed out but he is still accurate, has proven to show anticipation with his throws and has the ability to move in the pocket and go through his reads.
Accuracy and going through reads are more important to me than 1.5 difference in rotations on a football and running... They are all 2nd round QB's or lower and I was never saying Zappe was or should be ranked higher I just think it's ridiculous that people will ignore some of the most important attributes a QB needs.
slow in his drops, poor footwork, slow release, and staring down his receivers = balls batted down, sacks, and throwing interceptions. And you wonder why NFL scouts have him ranked so low? "but but but...he's' an accurate passer and anticipates throws" :rolleyes:

BTW, rate of spin and tighter spirals = more catchable balls and more importantly, higher successes in in climate weather. You can downplay it all you want but there is a reason why HS and College footballs have half of a stripe on the ball. I've spoken to college scouts about some of my guys and I've heard comments about this from them. It is important.

You asked the question and I'm trying to give you some insight as to why. Sorry if you don't like my answer.

Not being a dumbass, you made a dumbass comment... That's a you problem.
I did spell it out for you, if you want to waste a 1st round pick on a guy that played **** competition, lacks accuracy, anticipation and struggles with progressions that's fine.
My stance is that not one QB is worth a 1st round pick they all have some sort of warts but the accurate QB, the QB that can make reads and go through his progression will out shine the strong arm that can't do that.

And no I was not crushing on Jordan Love a week ago, you might want to gain "some decent knowledge of that situation"
Now let the bitching and moaning begin because I am not taking your ****. 3-2-1
You are indeed a dumbass as you keep asserting I’m in favor of Willis, which I have never stated, and still can’t answer the simplest of questions

At least you’re not the Jordan Love loving moron also…although he looks a lot like your boy Zappe

You are 100% correct, guru. Here is a really cool video of every play Willis was directly involved in either via pass or run vs. Mississippi, the only Power 5 team Liberty played last season.

Several things. First, his LT was awful. Jeez, how about you try and slow the defender down?!? Second, maybe because of the pressure, Willis tended to make his first read, then pull the ball down and look to run. Third, his accuracy was not bad at all, but the problem is the decision making. He tries to force the ball into a crowd and is picked. Fourth, he is definitely quick and elusive, but not Lamar Jackson when running the ball. He gets good yardage but does not race past defenders. I think that is why he declined to run the 40. I think we might be surprised to learn he is a 4.6 guy, not a 4.4 guy.

He reminds me SO MUCH of Kordell Stewart. Great throw followed by a terrible decision, good running abilities but a tendency to tuck and run rather than go to a 2nd receiver when the pass rush closes in, good enough that a coach is going to spend years believing he can turn Willis around and make him elite.

At 20? Yeah, not me. Too many quality players available.

I know is just one game but it was quite horrible.
Why he went to such a lower tier team ?

You are indeed a dumbass as you keep asserting I’m in favor of Willis, which I have never stated, and still can’t answer the simplest of questions

At least you’re not the Jordan Love loving moron also…although he looks a lot like your boy Zappe
My point to the question/comment is simply putting a player into the 1st round and drafting them because they have a strong arm with poor accuracy, poor anticipation and poor progression reads is just a stupid as putting Zappe in the 1st round with his issues. Everyone did it with Haskins in the draft and he sucks, big arm and that's it. I'm not in favor of drafting any QB but I am against over drafting a QB in the 1st round that has all the major flaws Malik does.