• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Minnesota Awarded Super Bowl, Pittsburgh next?

That and the gulf-like talent gap

I thought since you put so much time into grading players now you would know that gap is not as large as ESPN tells everyone it is. SEC players have the best measurables but not always the best football players. As you said, bad weather brings more aspects into play than just speed.

The championship game will still likely be held in warm weather locations. They have locations set for 3 years and all games are warm weather. I expect when the playoff expands to 8 and then 12 or 16, that's when the cold weather games will come into play.

This year the playoff games will be held in the Rose and Sugar Bowls, and the Championship will be in Jerruh World.

Here's my $0.02. If the Steelers were in the SB and I had the opportunity to go, I wouldn't care if it was in Minnesota. If the Pats* and Girls are in the game I might not even turn on the TV.

Minnesota and Atlanta are going to be the last 2 teams getting domed stadiums, seriously why atlanta, if bulldog and yellow jacket fans can tolerate the heat why cant falcon fans, at least this one will have a retractactble one.
mercedes benz when it bought the naming rights to to the **** dome spent 300+ mill to renovate that dump, as the city is broke and they did not get public funding for a new one they have wanted a new stadium since 2000.

This is comical to me.

Made me actually laugh out loud.

I think the one thing everyone here is missing is the purpose of the Super Bowl. At one time, it was to crown a champion. That is just a backseat to what drives the Super Bowl now. It is not the game. The game is secondary. It is not the fans, because season ticket holders cannot always afford to go. It is for the money. THAT is what the Super Bowl is about now. And, the best way for the NFL to drive up advertising, ticket prices, and all things they can sell is to put the game in a resort type area with plenty of hotels, other attractions, and ways to keep the whirlwind week of Super Bowl festivities exciting. You cannot do that in 3 feet of snow. Northerners can complain all they want, but Southerners are walking around in shorts and shoes in January. Those warm weather climates are vacation areas. People will come. More importantly, people with loads of money will come. They will spend it. Corporations want to be there and get in on the action, so they will sponsor. The large crowds, great weather, and all that money is too big a draw. TV will cover. Advertisers will want in. The money just flows.

Why **** that up to put on a more competitive game? For the fans? Bwaahaahaahaaaa.

Not a chance. Not enough hotel space. There are hotels farther our like the airport and Monroeville but the infrastructure isn't there to move that many people. Because of the hills and rivers and tunnels Pittsburgh is a weird apple when it comes to getting around.

I don't know about that Ron. Hotel space definitely an issue 5 years ago, not so much anymore.

I don't know about that Ron. Hotel space definitely an issue 5 years ago, not so much anymore.
Maybe in total but I don't think there are enough within walking distance and we can't add a third lane to the tunnels. I work part-time now in ground transport at the airport and Imma tell you, there are some days.....
Super Bowl weekend, some ceiling tiles fall down in the Fort Pitt or Squirrel Hill Tunnels, and they have to close them. You KNOW that would happen, it's Murphy's Law. Good times. :cool:

I thought since you put so much time into grading players now you would know that gap is not as large as ESPN tells everyone it is. SEC players have the best measurables but not always the best football players. As you said, bad weather brings more aspects into play than just speed.

I do know that, as of 2012, 30% of NFL players came from the SEC or ACC. And that 8 of the 9 most represented colleges were in California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, or Texas.

Ok, I'm only going to say this once, the ************* superbowl is not a ************* vacation, if you don't like football enough to go watch it while your ******* balls are freezing off, **** you, sit the **** at home, I'd gladly go sit in the cold to watch the Steelers play in the superbowl. If you're a corporate dickwad that can go on and on about his attempt at climbing mount dikamanjaro, but won't sit for a few hours to watch your team in the Superbowl, again, **** you ************, sit home.

Play the ************* Superbowl in the same weather the you play the ************* games, and if you think it's too cold, you're following the wrong ******* sport, go watch ************* tennis and leave the rest of us to football.

This cold weather Superbowl thing is the ONLY ******* thing that ******* of a commissioner has gotten right, and some of you sopping vaginas need to put a ************* sock in it.

Joe

So we're not going to get to 50 pages...SMH

Build the NFL a billion dollar dome and they will award you a SB - simple really

PA is a full blown liberal state now, I'm sure the taxpayers won't mind paying for it

97% of women would disagree with you, and that is who the commish is appealing to. The ONLY reason nyc was selected is because there are 9 million people live right there and he knew the media would love it.... btw, i am with ya, play the damn game in a blizzard.

Bullshit. Don't go blaming these fair weather party games on us. I'd love to see a game in Pittsburgh or.....Lambeau. So would most women fans. The problem....as was stated earlier....is many of these seats go to corporations; not to regular fans.

I went to Detroit superbowl. (I have stated this before).

I really didn't have the money to spare to go but I did it.

If in the future If I was well off enough that I could swing it... and it was in a cold climate. I would not go. Thanks, but ill watch right here in high def in my living room.. not getting raped by the NFL .

My reason:

Not because of how the weather affects the game or the outcome. But because im throwin down a shitload of money and don't want to freeze my balls off on the streets of Detroit looking for a bar I can get into.. who isn't demanding a 25 dollar cover charge.... and serving up old mil and hot dogs to wall to wall dismayed albeit excited to be there Steeler fans.

My superbowl,, I would like to be in Tempe or Miami,, and enjoy the beach the sights ,, walk the streets... outdoor partys.. and tailgating etc...

If you Cold weather superbowl guys want to pipe in snow for the game and turn on some jet engines to make lots of wind,,,, then by all means ,, go for it. But for me and my 3-4 grand,,, I want to enjoy myself before and after and during the game .

Dallas had one, lots of hotels etc and no one could get around. Ticket prices are crazy. Parking is crazy. Hotel prices are crazy as well. The average fan that might make a game or two during the season is not likely going to be able to afford the super bowl. It is easier to watch on TV. No parking issues, no weather issues etc. Seating is likely much better. I have no interest in spend several thousand dollars to watch a football game, especially the watered down version we have now. There are folks that have lots of money and will go so they can be seen at the event, many of them are not avid fans that show up on here or places like here. It is what it is, the NFL is not going to get my money for that. I can't think of a thing I have ever bought because of who endorsed it or because I saw it on a commercial at one of the games.

The super bowl also places a big burden on the hosting city. Lots more crime shows up, Traffic accidents, Hookers, thefts, bootleg merchandisers, Drunks, assaults, etc. This stuff places a very real expense on the area hosting and it is doubtful if they ever recover what they spend for this mess.

Bullshit. Don't go blaming these fair weather party games on us. I'd love to see a game in Pittsburgh or.....Lambeau. So would most women fans. The problem....as was stated earlier....is many of these seats go to corporations; not to regular fans.

Who complains the most about cold Super Bowl conditions?

Hint: the ones who write articles and give interviews about how awesome/****** the Super Bowl experience is. The press, like the corporations, are the ones who give a ****. They feel their job entitles them to the same treatment as the million-dollar athletes they cover.

As t-man said, giving some relevant, Northern cities the Super Bowl is one of the strikingly few good things Goodell has done. I think Lambeau should be next, then Pitt, then Canton and (gulp) Cleveland should be in the mix.

I do know that, as of 2012, 30% of NFL players came from the SEC or ACC. And that 8 of the 9 most represented colleges were in California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, or Texas.

In the last three drafts, three states (Florida, Texas, California) have produced 35.65% of the players drafted. If you add Georgia, it goes to 42.3%.

The top 10 states that produced the most drafted players were:
1. Florida (104)
2. California (86)
3 Texas (82)
4. Georgia (51)
5. Ohio (38)
6. South Carolina (27)
7t. Louisiana (25)
7t. North Carolina (25)
9. Alabama (23)
10. Virginia (21)

I guess it all depends on what you consider a northern state. Certainly 8 of those 10 are not northern states. Some might consider Virginia, but I think it is right about the breaking point. If you look at a map, Virginia is right in line with Kentucky and Missouri, both hosting SEC schools. I see them as being iffy as southern or northern and would throw them out for either. So, of the top 10, eight are southern and one is northern.

If you take the United States and draw a line across it, about midway, and then count them up, here are the numbers....now, I should state that I threw out 7 states as middle because the line basically cut them in half, they are: Virginia, Missouri, Nevada, Kansas, Utah, Kentucky, and Colorado. Those seven states had 65 players drafted. Of the 751 players drafted that hail from the US (there were several Canadians and other nationalities), 475 were from the southern states (yes, California was counted even though the top end catches the line). The northern states had 211.

If you broke it into percentages, the south provided 63.2% of the drafted players with the north coming in at 28% and the middle states providing 8.6%. Even if you gave the middle states to the north, the south would still dwarf them both.

I think it should be noted that South Carolina, per capita, produces more NFL players than any other state.

Who complains the most about cold Super Bowl conditions?

Hint: the ones who write articles and give interviews about how awesome/****** the Super Bowl experience is. The press, like the corporations, are the ones who give a ****. They feel their job entitles them to the same treatment as the million-dollar athletes they cover.

As t-man said, giving some relevant, Northern cities the Super Bowl is one of the strikingly few good things Goodell has done. I think Lambeau should be next, then Pitt, then Canton and (gulp) Cleveland should be in the mix.

A Cleveland SB could be a warm weather event, all they need to do is light the river on fire again.

I guess we should be glad it's not London.

That actually makes sense to have it in London. It makes more sense to me than playing regular season games there.

I think Toronto should bid to host. Why not? It's a huge city that can handle it and they have a dome stadium.

Philly should bid too.

I went to Detroit superbowl. (I have stated this before).

I really didn't have the money to spare to go but I did it.

If in the future If I was well off enough that I could swing it... and it was in a cold climate. I would not go. Thanks, but ill watch right here in high def in my living room.. not getting raped by the NFL .

My reason:

Not because of how the weather affects the game or the outcome. But because im throwin down a shitload of money and don't want to freeze my balls off on the streets of Detroit looking for a bar I can get into.. who isn't demanding a 25 dollar cover charge.... and serving up old mil and hot dogs to wall to wall dismayed albeit excited to be there Steeler fans.

My superbowl,, I would like to be in Tempe or Miami,, and enjoy the beach the sights ,, walk the streets... outdoor partys.. and tailgating etc...

If you Cold weather superbowl guys want to pipe in snow for the game and turn on some jet engines to make lots of wind,,,, then by all means ,, go for it. But for me and my 3-4 grand,,, I want to enjoy myself before and after and during the game .

Amen. this is all I really mean in terms of Super Bowl sites. Simply that I would likely not go. I went to Tampa, actually went to the game. It was a great overall experience, and a lot of that
had to do with decent weather and a lot of the events over the weekend taking place outside, including just closing off the main drag in Ybor City. Whether intended or not, it felt like a reward to the fans and like a vacation. I'll watch any Steelers Super Bowl on TV - like I did the one in Detroit or Dallas, and don't necessarily care about the location from the confines of my couch. But it takes a city that qualifies as a vacation spot (read: not Detroit or Minnesota, in February) to lure me there. Too much freaking money, too little vacation time...

You guys have to get it through your head that Pitt can't handle the Super Bowl. They do not have the hotel rooms needed for the Super Bowl among many other things. Pittsburgh will not get it the league learned from Jacksonville that the small cities are disasters for the superbowl

You guys have to get it through your head that Pitt can't handle the Super Bowl. They do not have the hotel rooms needed for the Super Bowl among many other things. Pittsburgh will not get it the league learned from Jacksonville that the small cities are disasters for the superbowl

And a large city like Dallas-Fort Worth wasn't?

No, it's a disaster for whiny media people who probably shouldn't even be there taking up hotel rooms that could go for fans.

They gave it to Minnesota. They can give it to anybody. I'd rather stay in a hotel outside the city of Pittsburgh and have to cab or bus in each day than walk the downtown streets of Minneapolis in February.

Nobody disputes SEC area has more talented player. My comment was about the media's habit of talking about a game as if a northern team must play an all star team made up of the best southern players. It's not Penn State vs LSU, It's Penn State vs the SEC

That's the gap that isn't as big as advertised. The individual teams. When you have final 4 teams, the gap will not be huge. How big was that talent gap between Oklahoma and Alabama or Ohio State and Clemson, or Michigan State and Stanford?

I know it won't change this year though. When it come time for playoffs, we won't hear ESPN talking about whether Ohio State or Stanford or Oregon is better than the 2nd place SEC team. We will just hear that the SEC is the best so they must get 2 teams.

I will say, i will be surprised if any conference gets 2 teams in the 4 team playoff unless there are a bunch of 2 loss teams. I think the committee will heavily weight having 4 different conference champs.

Nobody disputes SEC area has more talented player. My comment was about the media's habit of talking about a game as if a northern team must play an all star team made up of the best southern players. It's not Penn State vs LSU, It's Penn State vs the SEC

That's the gap that isn't as big as advertised. The individual teams. When you have final 4 teams, the gap will not be huge. How big was that talent gap between Oklahoma and Alabama or Ohio State and Clemson, or Michigan State and Stanford?

Indeed, the media loves to ride a story way out of proportion. They'll see the Patriots' past success and turn Wes Welker and Tedy Bruschi into NFL legends. The gap isn't monumental, but it's pretty wide. Any objective observer sees the talent gap between the southern and northern schools. NFL scouts see it, too, in overwhelming fashion. That doesn't mean they'll be undefeated when they play, though they do usually win. Alabama was a far more talented team than Oklahoma, but talent doesn't always win a one-off bowl game. Was Utah more talented than Alabama in 2008? Boise State more talented than Oklahoma?

I know it won't change this year though. When it come time for playoffs, we won't hear ESPN talking about whether Ohio State or Stanford or Oregon is better than the 2nd place SEC team. We will just hear that the SEC is the best so they must get 2 teams.

I hate to take the media's side, but they base that on the obvious talent disparity and most recent history. The top Big Ten team usually cruises through an 11-1 season with signature wins over Penn State and Nebraska. Oregon/Stanford usually cruises to 11-1 by holding off UCLA. That just doesn't compare to a team like last year's Alabama, whose only regular-season loss came to unbeaten Auburn. The situation I just described happens pretty much every year, and it's sometimes even more pronounced. You want to compare Big Ten #1 to SEC #1 and there's rarely any comparison at all. Most years, a 10-2 LSU team is more talented and has a more impressive resume than 11-1 Ohio State, so why wouldn't they get the benefit of the doubt for something like one-point losses to Alabama and South Carolina?