• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mispronouncing Student’s Name Now a ‘Microaggression’

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
A campaign initiated by the National Association for Bilingual Education and the Santa Clara County Office of Education says a teacher who mispronounces a student’s name is causing a negative emotional state that can lead to poor academic success.

Another stupid excuse and more fodder for the victim card.

“Names have incredible significance to families, with so much thought, meaning and culture woven into them,” Kohli says. “When the child enters school and teachers – consciously or not – mispronounce, disregard or change the name, they are in a sense disregarding the family and culture of the students as well.”

Tell it to the parents who saddle their kids with these ridiculous names.

Whether you intend to or not, what you’re communicating is this: Your name is different. Foreign. Weird. It’s not worth my time to get it right. Although most of your students may not know the word microaggression, they’re probably familiar with that vague feeling of marginalization, the message that everyone else is “normal,” and they are not.

If these names weren't so different, foreign, and weird, then people wouldn't act like they are.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/09/22/mispronouncing-students-name-now-microaggression/

“Names have incredible significance to families, with so much thought, meaning and culture woven into them,” Kohli says. “When the child enters school and teachers – consciously or not – mispronounce, disregard or change the name, they are in a sense disregarding the family and culture of the students as well.”

Least happy teacher, ever:

"Okay, welcome to first grade. I am Mrs. Smith, your teacher and will take role. Let's see who is on our list ...

brand.gif

I quit."

Hell, I'm Italian. I've been microagressed all my life.

My maiden name was Lucsko. Pronounced LUS-KOH. Not that hard. Nobody in the Burgh had trouble saying it. I moved to GA and I got all kinds of mispronunciations....the best being LUCKY. Can I retroactively sue my elementary school's teachers for butchering my last name? 35 years after the fact?

My maiden name was Lucsko. Pronounced LUS-KOH. Not that hard. Nobody in the Burgh had trouble saying it. I moved to GA and I got all kinds of mispronunciations....the best being LUCKY. Can I retroactively sue my elementary school's teachers for butchering my last name? 35 years after the fact?

Yes. That's called "reparations". And the liberal left wants that to go back to the 1600's.

Like you, my last name is pronounced the way it is spelled yet most people screw it up.

Yes. That's called "reparations". And the liberal left wants that to go back to the 1600's.

Ok!!! Maybe I can get the rest of my family (including naming my deceased father somehow) in the suit....we gonna get paid, *****!!!!

Welcome to Western PA where almost everyone's name gets mispronounced, especially if the teacher isn't from around here.

Grow up and grow a pair snowflake.

Welcome to Western PA where almost everyone's name gets mispronounced, especially if the teacher isn't from around here.

Grow up and grow a pair snowflake.

That's because of all the Hunkys and Polaks that have too many consonants and not enough vowels in their names like us Italians.

The pussification of America continues. Get those tampons stocked in the men's room right away.

Here's the problem....

I have an intern working for me named Yulia Iluvanschenko, born in the Ukraine.

And while her name isn't hard to pronounce, she says just call me Julia.

See, she wants to assimilate.

Here's the problem....

I have an intern working for me named Yulia Iluvanschenko, born in the Ukraine.

And while her name isn't hard to pronounce, she says just call me Julia.

See, she wants to assimilate.

Maybe change her last name to Vans too. That's a mouthful.

My best friend in high school was a guy named Steffan Leoczko(Lee otch Ko) people mispronounced it all the time but he never had issues with it.

Like you, my last name is pronounced the way it is spelled yet most people screw it up.

I was able to pronounce "*******" right away. Seeing Supe all the time gives me plenty of experience, though.

I call 'em how I see 'em.

My best friend in high school was a guy named Steffan Leoczko(Lee otch Ko) people mispronounced it all the time but he never had issues with it.

He should hide in a corner in shame according to the snow flake brigade.

He should hide in a corner in shame according to the snow flake brigade.

Nah we are seventies kids. We got tough from riding in cars without seatbelts and actually falling down and playing outside and stuff.

What about Coach Mike Krzyzewski??? His kids should be paid accordingly.

Not much you can do with last names, as your born with them.

Problem is ******* parents wanting to make little Metamucil unique and special.

But I do have a friend with the last name of Majkrzak.

"my shack"

Growing up with a last name like Jacox was not particularly fun. Not real hard to say but still butchered intentionally and unintentionally. School kids can be real ********.