• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mispronouncing Student’s Name Now a ‘Microaggression’

I've never had much issue with Adams getting messed up. I had a few Adams family song jokes,but that's it.

I am reading this thread, and I must go to my safe space, and eat a warm cookie.

What about the white people named Washington?

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/washington-the-blackest-name-in-america/

George Washington’s name is inseparable from America, and not only from the nation’s history. It identifies countless streets, buildings, mountains, bridges, monuments, cities — and people.

Oddly enough, most of these people are black. The 2000 U.S. Census counted 163,036 people with the surname Washington. Ninety percent of them were African-American, a far higher black percentage than for any other common name.

Jefferson was the second-blackest name, at 75 percent African-American.

“Growing up, I just knew that only black people had my last name,” says Shannon Washington, of New York City. Like many others, she has never met a white Washington.

One 2004 study conducted by researchers at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business found that job applicants with names that sound white receive 50 percent more callbacks than applicants with “black” names.

The study responded to real employment ads with more than 5,000 fictitious resumes. Half the résumés were assigned names like Emily Walsh; the other half got names like Lakisha Washington. After calculating for the difference in résumé quality, the study concluded that “a white name yields as many more callbacks as an additional eight years of experience on a résumé.”

But what about those 8,813 white Washingtons? What is their experience?

For the family of 85-year-old Larry Washington, who traces his family tree back to England in the 1700s, the experience has changed over the years. (He says he is not related to George, who had no children.)

When he moved to New Jersey in 1962 to teach at a college there, Larry Washington’s family tried to scout housing over the phone, but nothing was ever available. “When we showed up, there were plenty of houses,” he recalls. After that, he taught his six children to always apply in person.

Over the years, his name made him sensitive to racism: “We just simply recognized these things, and had full sympathy with the people who were really black and getting the real treatment.”

His sister Ida, a veterinarian who lives in Seattle, says she has never experienced discrimination because of her name as an adult. She is married but uses Washington as her professional name.

“It’s very distinctive. I use it with a certain amount of pride,” she says.

Back in high school, she became fascinated with black history. “I think my name has made me much more aware of what African-American folks struggle with. I feel in tune with them.”

Last edited:
Growing up with a last name like Jacox was not particularly fun.

Pronounced like this?

m558a16blu-blu.jpg

who the **** is this Staletame guy?

It would have been easier if he had just gone with Coach Poll.

who the **** is this Staletame guy?

I love being seasoned, experienced, a veteran of Steeler Nation and planet earth (stale) as well as reliable, trustworthy (tame).

Hence, Staletame.

Live it. Love it.