• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mitch Trubisky Would Make Sense for the Steelers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Earlier this week, we saw reports surface that the Pittsburgh Steelers are interested in multiple middle-tier quarterbacks to take over as QB1 in Pittsburgh.

These names included Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, and Mitchell Trubisky.

Of those names, it seems as though Steeler Nation has mixed feelings between each of them and if the Steelers should draft a quarterback instead. After some deep thought, I like Trubisky over anyone else we’ve seen on the Steelers’ radar. Let me preface this by saying I am being realistic in expectations; I simply don’t see Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson coming to the Steel City. With that said, I will be the first to admit that I wasn’t high on the ‘Trubisky Train’ as others; but then I did my due diligence on him. In my mind now, adding Trubisky to the Steelers’ quarterback room really does make sense. To help illustrate my thought process, here are a few points we should consider:

Price for Production

The Steelers are in a unique spot this offseason. They need a true starting quarterback who has starting experience, they have a lot of cap space with which to operate, but at the same time, they don’t like necessarily spending a lot on one position for a new player.

I’ve floated Jimmy Garoppolo’s name out there as another quarterback interest, who carries a $25,500,000 cap hit along with future draft picks as his price tag. On paper, Trubisky and Garoppolo have very similar stat lines toe-to-toe. In looking at their ‘per game’ statistics, they’re almost identical. Per game, Trubisky averages a 64% completion percentage for about 187 yards, with 1.1 touchdowns and .7 interceptions. Garoppolo averages a 67.5% completion percentage for about 188 yards, with 1.1 touchdowns and .6 interceptions. With there being almost a $20,000,000 cost difference between the two (and the Steelers won’t have to give up any draft picks for Trubisky), I’d consider the edge towards Trubisky in that scenario. But how does he compare with another fan-favorite in Winston? Winston carries a similar price tag, maybe a bit higher, as Trubisky and has posted a ton of passing yards during his time in the NFL. But as we did with Garoppolo, let’s compare Winston’s game averages. Per game, Winston averages a 61% completion percentage for about 253 yards, with 1.6 touchdowns and 1.1 interceptions. Although he can pass the ball all over the field, it is Winston’s touchdown-to-interception ratio that scares me. For every touchdown he throws, he tosses an interception. That is the reason I am considering Trubisky to be a better fit than Winston. Trubisky’s production combined with his low price tag is very attractive to me.

He Has Playoff Potential

The Steelers have made it clear they want an experienced player on the team at quarterback. Naturally, they are most likely considering playoff experience in that as well. Trubisky has exactly that. Now although he’s never won a playoff game, Trubisky hasn’t necessarily been ‘bad’ in the postseason. In the two games he’s played, he’s averaged a 62.5% completion percentage for over 167 yards with .7 touchdowns and no interceptions. If we really want to get into it, Trubisky was a ‘double-doink’ away from a divisional playoff game in 2018 and had a potential game-changing touchdown dropped against the New Orleans Saints in 2020. Not to mention, Trubisky has gotten his team to the playoffs with a stout defense and mediocre offensive lines; ironically, that is what the Steelers have. In addition, let’s not discount Trubisky backing-up Josh Allen in Buffalo as a part of one of the best teams in the AFC in 2021. Although he was older than Allen, Trubisky was able to see what it takes to win and move forward in the playoffs. Even though he didn’t play a snap in the 2021 postseason, Trubisky was involved in the game planning, preparation, and gained valuable experience in that regard that he didn’t receive in Chicago.

He Checks all the Steelers’ Boxes

Seeing the type of offense that could succeed in Pittsburgh under Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers have a good idea of the quarterback profile they’re looking for. We’ve heard both General Manager Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin describe some attributes as to what they’d like to see in their quarterback. To name a few, some of which I’ve already mentioned, are mobility in the pocket, relatively young with upside potential, ability to operate in a Matt Canada offense, and league experience. To build upon that, the Steelers have one of the best quarterback coaches in all of football in Mike Sullivan. To take what Trubisky learned in his first few years with the Chicago Bears, combine that with his time with Allen and Brian Dabol with the Buffalo Bills, then to pair him with Coach Sullivan and a supportive coaching staff in Pittsburgh, I think this is what Trubisky needs professionally. Although he has plenty of room to grow and improve his game, Pittsburgh as the tools Trubisky needs to take his game to the next level and show why he was a top three draft pick. The Steelers’ offense is loaded with talent, still young, and would be a great landing spot for Trubisky.

Do you think Trubisky has what it takes to be the Steelers’ next quarterback? Who do you think would be the best fit? Let us know in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I don't know if Trubisky is best for the long term, as none of us do, but I like what you pointed out and he wouldn't cost a fortune. And maybe, just maybe, he might be a great addition.

I'm at a total loss on this QB thing, none of the free agent guys are taking us to the Super Bowl, I think Mason sucks, but I'm about to the point where we just let him start so that experiment can finally be over and hope we find a QB in the draft next season.

I'm at a total loss on this QB thing, none of the free agent guys are taking us to the Super Bowl, I think Mason sucks, but I'm about to the point where we just let him start so that experiment can finally be over and hope we find a QB in the draft next season.
Me too....

Football is entertaining for me and everything I've seen from Rudolph tells me the Steelers are no going to be fun to watch next season if he's at QB. Trubisky may stink if the Steelers sign him. He also may be the same guy he was in Chicago and good enough to make the playoffs. If they go with Rudolph, they're telling us they aren't even trying to win. At that point, give me the unknown with Haskins. At least he has a live arm I could manufacture some excitement over.

I’ve floated Jimmy Garoppolo’s name out there as another quarterback interest, who carries a $25,500,000 cap hit along with future draft picks as his price tag. On paper, Trubisky and Garoppolo have very similar stat lines toe-to-toe. In looking at their ‘per game’ statistics, they’re almost identical. Per game, Trubisky averages a 64% completion percentage for about 187 yards, with 1.1 touchdowns and .7 interceptions. Garoppolo averages a 67.5% completion percentage for about 188 yards, with 1.1 touchdowns and .6 interceptions. With there being almost a $20,000,000 cost difference between the two (and the Steelers won’t have to give up any draft picks for Trubisky), I’d consider the edge towards Trubisky in that scenario. But how does he compare with another fan-favorite in Winston? Winston carries a similar price tag, maybe a bit higher, as Trubisky and has posted a ton of passing yards during his time in the NFL. But as we did with Garoppolo, let’s compare Winston’s game averages. Per game, Winston averages a 61% completion percentage for about 253 yards, with 1.6 touchdowns and 1.1 interceptions. Although he can pass the ball all over the field, it is Winston’s touchdown-to-interception ratio that scares me. For every touchdown he throws, he tosses an interception. That is the reason I am considering Trubisky to be a better fit than Winston. Trubisky’s production combined with his low price tag is very attractive to me.
I'd prefer Trubisky slightly over Winston as well, but the difference in their TD-to-INT ratios is not scary at all. And your claim that Winston throws a pick for every touchdown is false. In fact, his career ratio is 135:91, and he's always thrown more touchdowns in every individual season, including the year he led the league in INTs with 30.

Winston's TD% is 5.0, Trubisky's is 4.0. Interception percentage is 3.3 versus 2.4. So basically you're going to get 1 more pick from Winston per 110 attempts, but also 1 more scoring throw per 100. I can live with that.

They need a 3rd QB in camp anyway. The free-agent QB is a stopgap until they can draft a QB. If someone like Trubisky lights things up then that's a bonus in the same way they took a flyer on Haskins. To me, Trubisky is a no-brainer decision.

Football is entertaining for me and everything I've seen from Rudolph tells me the Steelers are no going to be fun to watch next season if he's at QB. Trubisky may stink if the Steelers sign him. He also may be the same guy he was in Chicago and good enough to make the playoffs. If they go with Rudolph, they're telling us they aren't even trying to win. At that point, give me the unknown with Haskins. At least he has a live arm I could manufacture some excitement over.
I think Haskins and Rudolph both suck, and aren't taking us anywhere. I also hate losing, so going with one of them does seem like they aren't trying. Trubisky is the the FA I'd want most, in a perfect world it would be Russell Wilson, but that's not happening.
That's where I'm lost, go with Mason or Haskins looks like they're trying to lose and I hate that.
Going with Trubisky might get them in the playoffs, but not to the Super Bowl and we're drafting early to mid 20's again.

I think Haskins and Rudolph both suck, and aren't taking us anywhere. I also hate losing, so going with one of them does seem like they aren't trying. Trubisky is the the FA I'd want most, in a perfect world it would be Russell Wilson, but that's not happening.
That's where I'm lost, go with Mason or Haskins looks like they're trying to lose and I hate that.
Going with Trubisky might get them in the playoffs, but not to the Super Bowl and we're drafting early to mid 20's again.
Trade picks for a QB. The Rams don't care about those first-round picks, they have a title. The draft isn't the only way to build a championship team and not the only way to find a QB.

I must admit, I’ve never seen Trubisky play, and I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a highlight clip of him. If he ran into me in the street I wouldn’t know him from Adam. If he never played against the Steelers…I’ve never seen him play.

I've come to the conclusion that the Steeler fan base will lose their collective **** no matter who the starting QB is this season.
I have my opinions but I've not going to get emotionally invested in it. I was recently informed that the Rooney family might not be reading our board and taking our opinions into account.

Trade picks for a QB. The Rams don't care about those first-round picks, they have a title. The draft isn't the only way to build a championship team and not the only way to find a QB.
That's why I brought up Russell Wilson, but I don't see them making a trade for a big name QB.

We are intrigued or have "fallen in love" with every qb out there it seems.

We are kinda like that guy at the bar late night last call. Trying to hook up. If you have nothing, everyone left starts to look good.

Mitch Trubisky imo makes the most sense for the Steelers at this juncture. Do not have to trade for him, should be able to sign him to a incentive heavy contract, has the arm strength and can run, very mobile. Had good TD/INT ratio with Bears, playoffs twice, pro bowl once and he's 27 years old. It makes too much sense to bring him in so why bother with stupid trade talk for game manager Garoppolo, or unrealistic trades for Wilson and Rodgers. then there is the ho hum Bridgewater who is not much better than what we have and who wants paid and he's not worth giving big money to. Jameis Winston started out good last year before injury so who knows how the season would have progressed but cant get those 30 interceptions out of my mind. Again, probably want too much money and don't want to overpay for him, not worth it. Sign Mitch, draft DL and OL and speedy WR. Add free agency pieces early with a quality CB, quality OL, Quality ILB, and add some quality depth to DL. Free up cap space by letting Tuitt and Banner go, and either release or renegotiate Schobert's contract. That adds about 20 million tp the 30-32 million we already have and could be used on positions I mentioned. Also, extend Minkha and I would try and re-sign Ju Ju as well.

Mitch Trubisky imo makes the most sense for the Steelers at this juncture. Do not have to trade for him, should be able to sign him to a incentive heavy contract, has the arm strength and can run, very mobile. Had good TD/INT ratio with Bears, playoffs twice, pro bowl once and he's 27 years old. It makes too much sense to bring him in so why bother with stupid trade talk for game manager Garoppolo, or unrealistic trades for Wilson and Rodgers. then there is the ho hum Bridgewater who is not much better than what we have and who wants paid and he's not worth giving big money to. Jameis Winston started out good last year before injury so who knows how the season would have progressed but cant get those 30 interceptions out of my mind. Again, probably want too much money and don't want to overpay for him, not worth it. Sign Mitch, draft DL and OL and speedy WR. Add free agency pieces early with a quality CB, quality OL, Quality ILB, and add some quality depth to DL. Free up cap space by letting Tuitt and Banner go, and either release or renegotiate Schobert's contract. That adds about 20 million tp the 30-32 million we already have and could be used on positions I mentioned. Also, extend Minkha and I would try and re-sign Ju Ju as well.
My thoughts as well with considering what's available QB wise and our many other needs.

I don't see Aaron Rogers or Russell Wilson taking us to the SB. The amount of $$$draft Capital$$$ either would require would me a trip to the SB.

Our team isn't quite there yet. Mitch Trebursky seems about affordable for where our team is at. Fill in the pieces and another season then yes, maybe the draft is kind or a big name FA QB becomes compatible for where this team is at.

Salute the nation

A Wilson or Rodgers type would gut the team. It would take 5 years to recover from the cap hit and draft capital carnage of trying to get them. We have so many other needs and wouldn't be able to address any of them through the draft or free agency. Both of those moves or anyone similar (still can't believe some are still talking about Watson) would be the worst possible thing the team could do.

IMO, none of us, nor the team knows what we will have with ANY Qb under center next year. WIth the exception of signing a "vet" who has played behind an OL as horrible as ours (maybe Russell WIlson), we won't know what is possible. There is a strong possibility that all of the top 5 QBs in the draft are no better than what we have on the roster (most are comparable to Rudolph in terms of their college accuracy).
I think we sign a mid-level vet like Trubisky and let them fight it out this year. We will have 3 QBs that were either taken in round 1 or predicted (Rudolph junior year) to be taken in round 1 fighting for position....what difference would it make if we add a 4th Qb through the draft this year? IMO, none are consensus franchise Qbs.

The bigger issues lie on our plans for our OL, our OC and our OL coach. So far, it looks like we are taking the direction that most of us see is an unacceptable route.
MAYBE they know Canada has not even unlocked his offensive scheme (due to Ben's preferences) and are hopeful that our offense is less predictable and capable under a new QB? I don't have high expectations, given the moves they have made on offensive coaching hires.

IMO, we need to concentrate on our OL and style of player we place on the OL to establish the RUN. This preserves our RB, who, in my estimation will be broken soon without this commitment. We need to use the TE more in our schemes to be the "chain movers" similar to Baltimore when they started with Jackson as their Qb. We cannot rely on Johnson (a true #2) as "the guy". He should not be getting 170 targets a season. He will end up on a stretcher with Najee. A great offensive scheme to mimic may be the Titans or Balt in that both schemed heavily in their use of TEs and FB (wow, what a concept) as blockers with outlet capabilities. We have some talent at both spots but do not seem to use either. Friermuth is a good dynamic player and I hope to see more use of Jace Sternberger as he was damn good at A&M as a receiver. At H-back/FB we have Watt, who was used well in SD before we signed him to be a special teams player. Ben had a dominant run focused offense when he first started playing with huge (albeit average pass blocking) offensive lineman. We will be wasting the best years of Najee's selection if we don't get some relevant help to the OL and scheme, IMO.

I don't want the FO to draft a first round QB in this draft. IMO, we can get a more "proven" vet (Trubisky, Mariota,Taylor) to find out whether we have the right OC and OL to be breaking-in a new franchise QB. It's unfortunate, but we need at least another year of picks to fill the gaps we will have this year. We can shore up through free agency but we don't have enough draft capital to get the full job done this year.

Mitch Trubisky is Mike Tomszak. I don't want a repeat of that guy's year...
I don't want a repeat of any bad year, but IMO, we're gonna have to suck it up with what this draft class (or Trubisky or Rudolph) has to offer. Tough to swallow, yes. Fix the lines and go from there. I can't fathom the idea of Rodgers or any expensive QB coming here (if they even would) and running for their life.

Mitch Trubisky is Mike Tomszak. I don't want a repeat of that guy's year...

Would you ride Mason for the year ?

If we wait until Garapolo (sp) gets cut and he becomes affordable then maybe but realize his surgery sets him back a ways.

EDIT: Famous Jamis

Salute the nation

I must admit, I’ve never seen Trubisky play, and I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a highlight clip of him. If he ran into me in the street I wouldn’t know him from Adam. If he never played against the Steelers…I’ve never seen him play.
Thank you for this valuable insight.

Bottom line, the FA market and draft class for QB this year is not that good. We are talking about replacing a JaG with a JaG in free agency. Why I'm 100% against doing it. I'm also 100% against blowing cap space for an older proven franchise FA. Why I'm 100% against taking a QB in the 1st round. This team needs to take advantage of the situation and put other key pieces in place. I'm am sure we can meet Tomlin's bench mark of success of 8-8 with Mason. Reevaluate the QB market 2023.