• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mock it - 6 rounds

Well, we brought in Thomas and will probably bring back Keisel. I don't forsee them sinking yet another premium pick into a DE to absorb blocks.

I don't exactly love the idea either, but I'm willing to bet they go get a DE in the first 4 rounds. They haven't said one word to Keisel or his agent to date so I don't think bringing him back is anything above Plan C at this point; even if he comes back, you still have to assume that he misses at least 4 games with an injury and you have the same hole to fill next year...

They will def grab a DE at some point. If not Tuitt/Hagemann, then Hart or Urban in rd 4.

I strongly disagree with the sentiment of local journalists that there's no point in drafting a DE in the early rounds cause that player would "sit for years until John Mitchell breaks them down and builds them back up again" to be able to play DE in our 3-4. That may be the case with a project like Nick Williams, or some of the other late round guys we've brought in over the years. But does anyone seriously think a player like Hageman or Tuitt, or even Daquan Jones wouldn't start as a rookie? We have a huge hole at that spot, and I'm not feeling da Beard coming back at this stage. I'm eyeing the 2nd round for a DE, if any of these three are there I would swoop them up and plug them in. I think it would do wonders for our defense to pair Hayward with another blue-chip guy up front. McClendon & Cam Thomas would be a solid tandem at NT. I wanna see it happen.

I'm with Tibs...if Tuitt or Nix are ther in rd 2 I take them. Nix can play NT and McClendon moves to DE, or we draft Tuitt and he plays next to Heyward. Either way, we win. Wr can be had in rd 3.

The ONE THING the present FO should have learned the past 5 years is that DL talent doesn't need to come from the top 3 rounds. Our system is such that we have developed better players from the later rounds than from the top rounds. Arnfelt may be better than "fat Cam" right now and he hasn't played much at all. Hopefully, the FO realizes what Cowher and Mitchell knew all along...unless you have a shot at a once in a decade DL player, you take the "high motor" guys later in the draft and teach them what to do in our system. IMO, you can only draft a "bust" player in the top 3 rounds. If you draft at 4-7 and get some playing time out of your pick, you've done well. Guys like Ellis, Urban, Hart, Allen etc can be had later and they should be taken over guys like Nix and Hageman who could be busts and are not sure thing 'blue chips'. Thats how our system works.

I feel like Cooks or Beckham could end up with better careers than Lee, Watkins, Benjamin or Evans BUT I am just as sure that guys like Abbrederis and Huff could be equally productive later in the draft. This FO has been pretty good at finding 'players' at WR and DB without having to draft them early. The problem is, they haven't been great at finding the talent at other positions early. This draft is risky IMO in the 11-50 range and then hits a 'sweet spot' from 50-120 with some potential talent remaining at the deeper positions like WR, TE, DL, DB. I would love to have more picks in the 3-4 range to offset some of the risk of the top 2 rounds. But that's just me.

We have to trade down..be it with Miami or San Fran. We need more picks.

We have to trade down..be it with Miami or San Fran. We need more picks.

No, we need good players.

Here's my mock:

1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
Really like what Gilbert brings, but they need a guy who will step up against the run in addition to dropping into coverage.

2. Scott Crichton, OLB, Oregon State
Outside linebacker is pretty thin. Crichton is big, but has the ability to develop into a good pass rusher and run defender.

3. Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
Didn't time well, but he is a tough player who should be a good player in the NFL.

4. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
The Steelers need answers at cornerback. I think I found them.

5a. Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon
Think he develop into a solid contributor at defensive end.

5b. Michael Schofield, OT, Michigan
The Steelers appear set on the offensive line, but I am looking for an upgrade at G/T and Schofield should be a good backup/possible starter one day.

6a. James White, RB, Wisconsin
Very good fit as a third-down back this late in the draft.

6b. Devin Street, WR, Pitt
Solid receiver with size. Helped make Tom Savage look good.

1. Kyle Fuller, CB, VaTech-I went back and forth on this one for a few minutes. I think Gilbert is faster, better long closing speed, better ball skills, and just a touch better coverage player, but Fuller is more physical, better in run support, more well versed in various coverages, and I think a better all-around athlete. I think he has better COD, quicker feet (less lost steps in transition). So, I went with Fuller. I think either would be fine.

2. Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson-the choice for me here would be between Bryant and Cyrus Kouandjio. I think Kou will have a solid pro career as a LT. I think Bryant could be special as a edge WR. His length, speed, and COD skills are hard in find in a player his size. He has good hands and is a pretty decent route runner. He still has some room to improve.

3. (compensatory) Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice-Gaines is an elite athlete with excellent man coverage skills. I do not think he lasts this long, would be a bit of a surprise, but it gives you two 6'+ corners with the slower of the two running a 4.43. I also considered Moncrief and Abbrederis here, but I think Gaines is the best blend of athleticism and talent on the board.

4. Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech-I have liked this blend of speed and power. I think he is still raw and needs to be coached up, but I also think that he has the raw ability to develop into a very good player. His film reminds me a little of Poe, but he did not back up what I saw with combine numbers, making me wonder if he was beating lesser talent. Dunno, but I think he is worth the risk.

5. Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon-Very underrated player, considered him in the 4th, but thought it would be easier to get a lighter DT and move him to DE than it would be to find a NT type that can move. Saw where he drew some comparisons to Aaron Smith, then saw him compared to Keisel. Either way, kid can play.

5. (Compensatory) Howard Jones, OLB, Shepherd-looking for a developmental OLB and Jones is 6'3"-235 and is pretty athletic. Raw. He will play with his head down at times. Just needs to be more aware and refine his technique, but he shows good speed to the ball. He is aggressive. He gets his hands into the chest of the OT and can walk them backwards, and he did this during the NFLPA game against better competition, so I think there is something there.

6. Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska-big WR, well built, runs well. He turned a 4.44 at the combine before tweaking a hamstring and did not work out again for any team. He had performed the bench and threw the bar up 19 times. I think his other numbers would have tested well if he had been able to complete the combine, but he did not. I know he has a 58" box jump. Big wingspan. He reminds me some of Donte Moncrief in that he is a big WR that gets down the field well, deceptive route runner, better than expected speed, and will drop some passes (can be maddening) and then turn around and make a highlight catch. Hard to not draft a guy with his size and speed this late.

In the 7th, I would draft Jonathan Dowling if he was there.
Because Fuller is seen as a round 1/2 pick by some scouts, couldn't we move back and get him later and get more picks. Some big name nearly has to fall to us.

Because Fuller is seen as a round 1/2 pick by some scouts, couldn't we move back and get him later and get more picks. Some big name nearly has to fall to us.

The only picks that are 'sure' to go where they are 'seen' by the draftniks are the top 5-8; after that, it is anyones guess. Fuller might get picked at #10 and he might not go til #20. He might be the first DB off the board...or he might be the 4th. If we like him the best, we should take him UNLESS we like someone else ALMOST as much (at any position); then, we can offer to trade back and we still have a shot at HIM or the guy we like ALMOST as much. If we don't have another player we would pick, it isn't worth the risk of losing the guy we like so we must pull the trigger, IMO.

I honestly think this is one of the best Steelers Mock Drafts I have seen. The only big change I would make is Brandon Thomas in the 4th. I think getting a 1st/2nd round value in the 4th even though he'd be IR'd this year is worth the pick. It would be like trading our 4th round pick for a 2015 2nd.

Who is gonna play DE? Heyward and who else? Arnfeld is unproven and Keisel may not come back. What if McClendon stays at NT? NT/DE is a huge need after cb. McClendon can play either DE or NT, so we have some flexibility.

I would be willing to try, but I do not know how far down I would want to go. I think Fuller goes top 20. The thing is, I like Jason Verrett too, so if I dropped down and Fuller was taken, I would opt for Verrett. Of course, many would state I would have overdrafted Verrett then, but if you gamble and get caught bluffing, you have to play the hand you have.....and that would mean I have to get the next corner or simply go away from a high end corner all together.

I would be willing to try, but I do not know how far down I would want to go. I think Fuller goes top 20. The thing is, I like Jason Verrett too, so if I dropped down and Fuller was taken, I would opt for Verrett. Of course, many would state I would have overdrafted Verrett then, but if you gamble and get caught bluffing, you have to play the hand you have.....and that would mean I have to get the next corner or simply go away from a high end corner all together.

Or trade down again and get another pick or two

Who is gonna play DE? Heyward and who else? Arnfeld is unproven and Keisel may not come back. What if McClendon stays at NT? NT/DE is a huge need after cb. McClendon can play either DE or NT, so we have some flexibility.

The Steelers have 3 DEs that were rookies last season. They have Arnfeld, Williams, and Lapuaho. They have Fangupo as the backup NT. They also signed Cam Thomas.

A rookie draft pick coming in would also be unproven. And, Hood was a first round pick. No guarantees.

We need someone who can jump out of pools and on top of boxes. Everyone keeps saying trade down why not trade our 5,6,7th away and move up? We would still have comp picks in those rounds at least.

I disagree with your assesment TMC. I think we need to either draft a NT or DE and then see where we put McClendon. I don't feel comfortable with Arnfeld or Williams starting opposite Heyward.

I disagree with your assesment TMC. I think we need to either draft a NT or DE and then see where we put McClendon. I don't feel comfortable with Arnfeld or Williams starting opposite Heyward.

Well, that would be your opinion. McLendon is not moving anywhere. The idea he should play end is another one of those fan fabricated issues. I do not believe McLendon has ever lined up at end for the Steelers and last season, when they could have kept him on the field on 3rd down and sat Ziggy Hood, they opted for Hood. That is not a ringing endorsement for McLendon's move to defensive end.

I do find it funny how you are fine with the OTs chugging along, who are not unproven, in fact, Gilbert and Adams have proven what they are, below average tackles. That position is great, but you feel we need to draft high end DL because the players on roster are unproven. Why? They still have a chance, however remote, of not sucking.

I'm not a huge fan of Gilbert but I like Adams run blocking on the right side. I would def consider Lewan or Matthews if he fell. If we keep McClendon at NT then we will still need a starting DE. I guess Taylor Hart in rd 4 would be fine too.

Well, that would be your opinion. McLendon is not moving anywhere. The idea he should play end is another one of those fan fabricated issues. I do not believe McLendon has ever lined up at end for the Steelers and last season, when they could have kept him on the field on 3rd down and sat Ziggy Hood, they opted for Hood. That is not a ringing endorsement for McLendon's move to defensive end.

I do find it funny how you are fine with the OTs chugging along, who are not unproven, in fact, Gilbert and Adams have proven what they are, below average tackles. That position is great, but you feel we need to draft high end DL because the players on roster are unproven. Why? They still have a chance, however remote, of not sucking.

I don't get it either. The OL has one guy that can kind of play LT, two people that actually play one position at RT, a center that has been hurt every year in the league and no depth except with guys that have been cut by 4 other teams.

mclendon is to short to play de in a 3-4 t 6"1 325, sure he could in a 4-3, until a better nt comes along i.e (ells or tuitt) mclendon will stay in the middle, what we can do is when we go 2-4-5 or 3-2-6 we can line him as a under dt a 3t dl and shoot the gap