• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My Favorite Steeler game of all time.

The 2008 AFCCG is memorable because it was an incredible game and Troy's INT to seal it as he crossed the goal line I remember that precise moment when you realize your going the Super Bowl. It doesn't get any better than that!

All time I'd hafta say the 1074 AFCCG vs the Raiders in Oakland. That game preceeded the Dolphins vs Raiders the week before that ended in the Sea of Hands play. Madden was quoted as saying in the Post Game when the two best teams in the NFL play each other great things are going to happen.

That was the beginning of a Pro Football Dynasty and the Steelers never looked back!
There's allot of favorites but that 1974 championship game was the one that sticks out as my favorite because it was so symbolic as Chico pointed out. The Steelers had finally arrived and everyone knew it. They were down by 7 going into the fourth quarter and ran off 21 points to Oakland's 3. The defense was so dominant in the second half and as soon as they grabbed the lead, you could see they weren't going to be denied.

There were 17 players (9 from Pittsburgh, 8 from Oakland) combined from those two teams who would go to canton and both head coaches. There is at least one or two additional who should be in the hall of fame and so many others that were really good football players. Think about that, almost half the players on the field were gold jacket worthy.

It was a championship game that's probably unmatched as far as two great, iconic teams facing off.

There's allot of favorites but that 1974 championship game was the one that sticks out as my favorite because it was so symbolic as Chico pointed out. The Steelers had finally arrived and everyone knew it. They were down by 7 going into the fourth quarter and ran off 21 points to Oakland's 3. The defense was so dominant in the second half and as soon as they grabbed the lead, you could see they weren't going to be denied.

There were 17 players (9 from Pittsburgh, 8 from Oakland) combined from those two teams who would go to canton and both head coaches. There is at least one or two additional who should be in the hall of fame and so many others that were really good football players. Think about that, almost half the players on the field were gold jacket worthy.

It was a championship game that's probably unmatched as far as two great, iconic teams facing off.

Good call. I remember that game very well. Grew up in Northern California among ******* Raiders fans. Ted Hendricks gave Miami fits the prior week, so Chuck told Bleier, "He's your guy." Hendricks was invisible that game and the Steelers ran the ball down the Raiders throats.

The 2008 AFCCG is memorable because it was an incredible game and Troy's INT to seal it as he crossed the goal line I remember that precise moment when you realize your going the Super Bowl. It doesn't get any better than that!

All time I'd hafta say the 1074 AFCCG vs the Raiders in Oakland. That game preceeded the Dolphins vs Raiders the week before that ended in the Sea of Hands play. Madden was quoted as saying in the Post Game when the two best teams in the NFL play each other great things are going to happen.

That was the beginning of a Pro Football Dynasty and the Steelers never looked back!
One of the biggest reasons, for me at least, the ‘08 AFCCG is my favorite is because I finally got to feel what my dad would always talk about when he would bring up the Raiders/Steelers games of the ‘70s. He would always talk about how good the raiders were, and how, in a couple of seasons, they were so good that they were probably the best team in the league. But those Steeler teams were THAT much better than them. A feeling of invincibility knowing your team is without question, tops in the NFL. The feeling that John Facenda’s quote of “there are 27 teams in pro football….and then there are the Pittsburgh Steelers” would evoke anytime you heard it.
That year, rookie qb, and rookie coach, and all, the Ravens were a pretty damn good team. Damn good. The AFCCG matched the best two teams in the league, without question, in my opinion. And the Steelers separated themselves from that pack, and proved who the baddest dog in the yard was. After thag game, my brothers, and I talked about finally having that same unequivocal feeling that the old man always talked about in such reverence. That 2008 season was ******* magical.

The Polamalu pick six was definitely one of the biggest plays in Steeler history thats for sure along with Harrison's pick six and Holmes TD catch in the super bowl. The thing that made Polamalu's play so exciting for me is you knew right away it was a touchdown and probably put the team in the super bowl. Harrison and Holmes plays I went nuts but my emotions were contained a bit because you knew they were going to be reviewed and possibly erased. It takes nothing away from the significance of both but you just had to sit and hold your breath.