• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My post combine draft thought

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't put up mocks. Don't know players well enough. But have been quite deadly accurate on who they pick and usually who I think they should pick. This has been a mix of results. I really wanted Watt. But I also really wanted Devin Bush to be a Steeler. Last year hit double with first two picks. Gonna go out a bit of a limb this year. My choice is Ladd McConkey. I know he is not worthy of 20. My hope would be to drop back five and take him at 25. Then use the capital to move up in 2 and get a quality oline. Maybe centre from UWV.
Here is my thinking. The Steelers get first round talent at later rounds at wr but they have to be realizing the price is what they get in terms of character. They need a guy who can perform and not be a dude. I see little chance DJ is on this team in Fall and less that he is on the '25 squad.
My thought. I'm sure I might get roasted. But whatever.

I remember thinking Mendenhall was a great pick, and I was hoping for him. I saw him a lot in college for some reason...Illinois was on a lot here in Eastern PA, and he was the best player in that Rose Bowl. Then I saw him get interviewed after he got picked and I thought, uh oh. He had a Ricky Williams vibe to me. Williams was a heck of a player but for sure was a flake.

The Steelers have so many real needs and perceived needs. I truly would not be surprised with any 1st or 2nd round pick this year. My top 3 needs are DL, C, and ILB. Close behind are OT and CB. They could even view QB and S as needs if the right guy is there. They make some moves in FA so they don't have to reach too much in the draft and then all bets are off as to who they draft. My favorite right now, if he slides to us, is JPJ but I would not be upset at all with Frazier or Van Pran in the 2nd round. They really need to get a top DL, if one is there so maybe they go DL in Rd. 1 and C in Rd. 2.

If the Chiefs trade their CB for a low first round pick and then sign Jones to a large deal, i see if they want to trade the 32nd pick for DJ with us retaining his roster bonus.. that clears 7 mil cap space for us and they get a top 30 wr for 7 mil... which is a super steal for them going for the threepeat

If the Chiefs trade their CB for a low first round pick and then sign Jones to a large deal, i see if they want to trade the 32nd pick for DJ with us retaining his roster bonus.. that clears 7 mil cap space for us and they get a top 30 wr for 7 mil... which is a super steal for them going for the threepeat
Not a bad idea but if I'm them I take the 32nd overall and have him on rookie deal. I mean I'd rather have McConkey then DJ and the Steelers already have DJ.

Jeez, we traded Chase Claypuff to the Bears for a second round pick which was really a first round pick at number 32 and he sucks. I would think we could at least get a second for Dionte Johnson who has had a much better career.
If we can move Johnson for a second I’d be all over it.

Everyone is focused on Center (JPJ) and OT as being the pick at 20. I think Center will be addressed in free agency and the OT will be addressed later in the draft.

I think it comes down to CB (Quinyon Mitchell) or WR (Keon Coleman). CB is the biggest need in my opinion and Mitchell would be my preference. However, with the talk of trading Diontae Johnson and trading up for Rome Odunze, WR could be the pick in the first round. I recall Ike Taylor saying on his podcast last year he was really impressed with the WRs at Florida State. The Steelers like to scout ahead. I think Keon Coleman might well be the pick, as his 40 time might have pushed him down the board to them. That said, the determining factor will be how well he blocks in the run game.

Jaheim Bell, TE from Florida State is another person to look out for later in the draft. He seems to fit the FB/H-Back role that Smith seems to favor in his offense. Bell's main problem is that his blocking seems to need quite a bit of work.

I don't put up mocks. Don't know players well enough. But have been quite deadly accurate on who they pick and usually who I think they should pick. This has been a mix of results. I really wanted Watt. But I also really wanted Devin Bush to be a Steeler. Last year hit double with first two picks. Gonna go out a bit of a limb this year. My choice is Ladd McConkey. I know he is not worthy of 20. My hope would be to drop back five and take him at 25. Then use the capital to move up in 2 and get a quality oline. Maybe centre from UWV.
Here is my thinking. The Steelers get first round talent at later rounds at wr but they have to be realizing the price is what they get in terms of character. They need a guy who can perform and not be a dude. I see little chance DJ is on this team in Fall and less that he is on the '25 squad.
A little high for the little Irish lad McConkey IMHO...
Like Frazier a tons...

The Steelers have so many real needs and perceived needs. I truly would not be surprised with any 1st or 2nd round pick this year. My top 3 needs are DL, C, and ILB. Close behind are OT and CB. They could even view QB and S as needs if the right guy is there. They make some moves in FA so they don't have to reach too much in the draft and then all bets are off as to who they draft. My favorite right now, if he slides to us, is JPJ but I would not be upset at all with Frazier or Van Pran in the 2nd round. They really need to get a top DL, if one is there so maybe they go DL in Rd. 1 and C in Rd. 2.
Agreed...

Yes --we need to upgraded the middle of our our line-up...on both sides of the ball.

I also hope...that we trade DJ.

******* Xavier Worthy, who would have been a worthy replacement to DJ, ran a 4.21 40 and probably took his stock from a mid second rounder to a top first round guy... what a jerk lol..
there are a couple other guys we could get in the second that could fill DJs role, but not many are going to be impactful early in the season imo... maybe that western Kentucky kid...

the idea would be trade DJ to a contender snd either draft his replacement with the pick or draft another position with it and fill his spot with a lower round project guy

News outA KC is they are franchise tagging Sneed and negotiation with the DL guy.

Salute the nation

Trading DJ for a second would be fine but it's going to be a tough sale. The past year's antics, last year of a contract and a loaded wide receivers draft class makes unloading him difficult. A contender like Buffalo, KC, Pack etc may offer a late 2nd, can't see teams intent of rebuilding offering an early second.

McConkey definitely helped himself at the combine and can play wide and slot but I'd be surprised to see him go to Pittsburgh at twenty.

Everyone is focused on Center (JPJ) and OT as being the pick at 20. I think Center will be addressed in free agency and the OT will be addressed later in the draft.

I think it comes down to CB (Quinyon Mitchell) or WR (Keon Coleman). CB is the biggest need in my opinion and Mitchell would be my preference. However, with the talk of trading Diontae Johnson and trading up for Rome Odunze, WR could be the pick in the first round. I recall Ike Taylor saying on his podcast last year he was really impressed with the WRs at Florida State. The Steelers like to scout ahead. I think Keon Coleman might well be the pick, as his 40 time might have pushed him down the board to them. That said, the determining factor will be how well he blocks in the run game.

Jaheim Bell, TE from Florida State is another person to look out for later in the draft. He seems to fit the FB/H-Back role that Smith seems to favor in his offense. Bell's main problem is that his blocking seems to need quite a bit of work.
I'm with you on the Center position. If they can grab someone like Cushenberry That would instantly bolster the line and he fits into Smith's gap scheme. Also, don't forget that Corey Trice was having one hell of a camp and the Steelers could see him as the #1 CB on the left side. Or...His injury could have significantly altered his play and they may want to draft some assurances. fun times

Trading DJ for a second would be fine but it's going to be a tough sale. The past year's antics, last year of a contract and a loaded wide receivers draft class makes unloading him difficult. A contender like Buffalo, KC, Pack etc may offer a late 2nd, can't see teams intent of rebuilding offering an early second.

McConkey definitely helped himself at the combine and can play wide and slot but I'd be surprised to see him go to Pittsburgh at twenty.
That's my only thing. Really like player but he is a tweener on the pick. 20 is a little high snd no way he makes it to 2.20.

Its hard to say what is going to happen with that guy...the Bengals are supposedly looking to deal Higgens, but he will cost a fortune.. they probably just resign Boyd
If not him another vet. If Robinson wants to be a Steeler he needs to drop contract. Bottom line they need a character guy in that room. They cannot go into the season with Kenny, and the ***** boys.

I'd be cool with trading DJ and packaging that pick up to rocket up the draft board to get Rome Odunze.
They could theoretically do that if they handled their business at QB,CB, and C in free agency. Regardless Omar has his hands full this off-season

Not sure he isn't worth 20 or will still be available at 20 either
He's a hard cover for DBs and can always find ways to get open-those skills have immense value in the NFL (many CBs cited him as the hardest cover they faced per a recent report)
it only takes 1 GM to pull the trigger and his draft stock has been shooting upwards
It is a deep WR draft so I do expect him to be available when we're on the clock, but anything could happen
I figure his talent puts him in the 20-40 range easily so not much of a stretch for someone to take a chance