• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

National Anthems before Games

Should we continue Anthems before Sporting Events?

• Yes, it is desired.

Votes: 16 100.0%
  • No, just a waste of time. Cuts into my beer drinking.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
So, I am watching the Penguins game, and they are singing the Canadian and US national anthems. Very nice.

I also realize that the NHL has Russians, Swedes, Germans, Fins, Czechs, etc, standing there, honoring the anthems. How would I feel if I played in Russia, or China, forced to stand for their anthem?

Should we continue doing it? If so, why?

If I were getting paid millions of dollars playing professional sports in Russia, I would happily stand for their anthem out of respect.

I would find it completely normal to stand for another country's anthem if i was in that country. I do think it's dumb for NHL to play both. Just play the anthem of the country you're in.

I would find it completely normal to stand for another country's anthem if i was in that country. I do think it's dumb for NHL to play both. Just play the anthem of the country you're in.

I completely agree. Except I would use the word 'were' instead of 'was'.

Eliminate all anthems before all sports matches. What does a national anthem have to do with a sport?

The anthems played reflect the origins of the teams playing. The NHL has only American and Canadian teams.

When Arizona plays Columbus, they only play one anthem, just like when the evil Habs play the Loafs.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Steeler Nation mobile app

Eliminate all anthems before all sports matches. What does a national anthem have to do with a sport?

This. It’s stupid.

I don't know, I've always connected the anthem with the start of the game. Pay your respects to your country and drop the puck! Never really thought about it or had a problem with it.

I completely agree. Except I would use the word 'were' instead of 'was'.

Subjunctive: An unreal or wished for condition. Example: "If Democrats were smarter than a steaming pile of dogshit, they would have less need to steal other people's money."